Motoring Discussion > Hand over the cash only when you have keys! Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 28

Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Falkirk Bairn
£17,000 lost by customer who paid in advance for her car.

Verve garage chain goes down!
She has no money & no car!

tinyurl.com/p7br6v9
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Simon
Its common sense really isn't it, but if it serves as a reminder to others not to fall into the same trap, its worth noting.
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - R.P.
Well, thereby see today's lesson....always, always pay a proportion by credit card..
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Zero
I paid for all of my car on credit card.

Today lesson part two is "only tell them you are paying by CC AFTER you have negotiated discount and free mats...."
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - sooty123
From my limited experience in buying cars from dealers, they often want to know how you are paying early on.
>> From my limited experience in buying cars from dealers, they often want to know how
>> you are paying early on.

Not quite, early on they want to know if they are getting a bonus for selling you credit.
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - sooty123
I found it to be one and the same.
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Runfer D'Hills
>>I paid for all of my car on credit card.

Lucky you had one with as much as a £1000 limit then.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 1 Dec 13 at 16:20
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Meldrew
paying any part of the price gets the CC company involved/liable SFAIK
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Manatee
>> paying any part of the price gets the CC company involved/liable SFAIK
>>

Not checked recently, but it used to be £100.

The point is that the recourse is under the Consumer Credit Act. I think the cut off of £100 was to distinguish small transactional purchases from "credit" purchases.

I usually say I'll pay by debit card on collection. The deposit I pay by credit card.
>> >>I paid for all of my car on credit card.
>>
>> Lucky you had one with as much as a £1000 limit then.
>>
>> ;-)

Down south we ALL have credit cards with more than 1k limit...
Fair enough, but one would have imagined you all just used Coutts cheques or had accounts with suppliers which the butler would settle monthly?
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Old Navy
No one with a butler would be seen dead in a Mitsubishi Lancer. :-)
Even the butler might feel a little hard done by if issued with one...
>> No one with a butler would be seen dead in a Mitsubishi Lancer. :-)

Alas fifi the faithful hound won't travel in a car built by dog eaters.
There is a maximum - I think it's around 30k. But £100.00 secures you Consumer Credit Act rights. I generally pay by debit card on collection.
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Westpig
Most dealers baulk at a credit card because of the fees involved, however a debit card is a different matter...presumably if it's got Visa written on it, you get the same/similar protection?
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Fursty Ferret
>> Most dealers baulk at a credit card because of the fees involved, however a debit
>> card is a different matter...presumably if it's got Visa written on it, you get the
>> same/similar protection?
>>

Nope.
It can be yes! It is a grey area Westpig. My partner bought an airline ticket on a VISA debit card, airline went bust and VISA debit declined the refund. We then had the credit/debit hassle. We finished up going to the FSA (as it then was) and she got her money back. The forms were easy to fill in and she got her money back in full after about 3 months, roughly.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sun 1 Dec 13 at 17:11
It can be yes. Depends on the card-issuer.

tinyurl.com/obx2dr7

More here.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 1 Dec 13 at 17:33
My partner had Barclaycard Visa and Barclays Bank Visa Debit card
>> My partner had Barclaycard Visa and Barclays Bank Visa Debit card

Yes but one comes under the consumer credit act, (because its credit) and one doesn't (because its not) Its got barclay all to do with the name.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 1 Dec 13 at 19:24
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Old Navy
My bank debit card has my banks logo but is supplied and administered by MasterCard for them and has a MasterCard logo also. This does not make it a MasterCard credit card or bring it under the Consumer Credit Act regulations.
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Manatee
>> My bank debit card has my banks logo but is supplied and administered by MasterCard
>> for them and has a MasterCard logo also. This does not make it a MasterCard
>> credit card or bring it under the Consumer Credit Act regulations.

Neither Mastercard or Visa issue cards, they are networks. At a guess, your card was once a Switch card, then a Maestro card, now a Mastercard debit card - Clydesdale?

The bank is the issuer. It may also emboss and encode the cards or that could be done by a bureau.

The commercial relationships behind cards, especially credit cards, are complex and have attracted a lot of attention - this has resulted in proposed caps on the interchange/merchant fees which will quite possibly result in the extinction of "free" credit (not debit) cards before long.
She got a refund under the consumer credit regulations for a loss incurred on a transaction made on the bank card. Don't know why but it happened, about 5 years ago, and it was hard work.
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Bill Payer
>> There is a maximum - I think it's around 30k. But £100.00 secures you Consumer
>> Credit Act rights. I generally pay by debit card on collection.
>>

Max is £30K, however you can pay a penny on your credit card and still be covered - the criteria is that the item must cost at least £100.
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Crankcase
Don't have a credit card so no use to me. But I did have to make a chargeback on my debit card once and it went fine, after Visa told the bank to deal with it.

Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Bill Payer
>> I paid for all of my car on credit card.
>>
>> Today lesson part two is "only tell them you are paying by CC AFTER you
>> have negotiated discount and free mats...."
>>
A salesman who accepted that would probably get fired unless he'd left a lot of profit in the deal.

I've seen stories of dealers going after people who paid using company debit cards when the dealers didn't realise until after the event. 3% on a new BMW will generally be in excess of a grand.
 Hand over the cash only when you have keys! - Roger.
We paid the difference to change from the Panda to the Jazz by credit card.
The dealer was OK with this, but wanted a contribution to his card service costs.
We were OK with this as the reason for using the card was the 0% for 18 months offer which was the reason we took out the card!
It was worth it for us in this specific instance.
Latest Forum Posts