Motoring Discussion > French Speed Limits - Haute Savoie Miscellaneous
Thread Author: IJWS14 Replies: 9

French Speed Limits - Haute Savoie - IJWS14
Anyone planning a trip to the alps should note that Haute Savoie has introduced a 110kph speed limit on the autoroutes for the winter to reduce pollution. Rumours are that the police are out enforcing it but have not seen any.

Only seen one car not complying . . . . it was Italian registered.
 French Speed Limits - Haute Savoie - Boxsterboy
I'm sure the Gendarmes will catch plenty of Belgians. They seem to be both the fastest and worst motorway drivers to me these days.
 French Speed Limits - Haute Savoie - Alanovich
Always have been. A blooming menace, they are. I'd rather drive in Naples than Brussels.
 French Speed Limits - Haute Savoie - FocalPoint
"Always have been. A blooming menace, they are. I'd rather drive in Naples than Brussels."

Agree totally with the first bit.

Disagree totally with the second.

I've driven in both cities and Naples was worse by far - in fact it was my most dreadful experience in fifty-odd years of driving. The only thing good about it was the feeling of relief when I got through and my pride in having avoided an accident, though I nearly ran down a pedestrian who stepped out without warning when I was about 5 metres away, going at 50 kph - stepped out into dense traffic.
 French Speed Limits - Haute Savoie - Armel Coussine
Nothing wrong with Naples (yee-hah!) or Brussels that I can remember, apart from finding one's way about. Belgian motorways were a bit busy, only two lanes and cars being very correct about pulling back in after overtaking... but you soon get used to it.

I might be more hesitant now. Hard to tell without going there again.
 French Speed Limits - Haute Savoie - sherlock47

>>>I've driven in both cities and Naples was worse by far -<<<

Naples was a doddle, you want to try Istanbul - but it was 35years ago!
 French Speed Limits - Haute Savoie - Alanovich
The difference between Naples and Brussels is that in Naples, you know that everyone else is going to do the most selfish thing at any given time at the highest possible speed - legal or not. In Brussels, some people obey the traffic laws and have consideration, some act like Neapolitans, and some doe the most random, seemingly counter productive nonsense out of nowhere. It's totally unpredictable. That's what makes it easier to drive in Naples than Brussels. I hate driving in Belgium. They have the worst motorway tailgaters and lane hoggers too.
 French Speed Limits - Haute Savoie - Zero
>> nonsense out of nowhere. It's totally unpredictable. That's what makes it easier to drive in
>> Naples than Brussels. I hate driving in Belgium. They have the worst motorway tailgaters and
>> lane hoggers too.
>
And the worse built, planned and maintained motorways, and the most badly managed road works trying to patch it all up.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 5 Dec 13 at 17:38
 French Speed Limits - Haute Savoie - WillDeBeest
Haven't driven in Belgium - I've only been twice, both to Brussels, where I found being (a) a taxi passenger and (b) a pedestrian pretty terrifying for much the reasons Vic explains.

I have, though, encountered plenty of Belgian drivers in France, usually immobile at a busy junction, seemingly with no idea what to do next; or on a campervan (smelling, as all such vehicles do, of the occupants' own poo, with which they presumably enjoy sharing their holiday) wanting both sides of a twisty mountain road.

I used to comfort myself with the thought that their red-on-white number plates at least made them easy to spot at a distance.this summer, though, I noticed they Belgium seems to have followed France into adopting a drab, could-be-anything format that will make staying out of their way much harder. Merde!
 French Speed Limits - Haute Savoie - CGNorwich
I' m a bit perplexed by this view of the Belgians. Can't say I've noticed standards of driving being much different to France, Netherlands, or Germany. Motorways are in poor condition though but they are heavily used . Driving to Alsace I usually drive through Belgium to avoid French tolls. Belgium is a sort of rat run I guess
Latest Forum Posts