Motoring Discussion > Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 19

Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - Falkirk Bairn
Vauxhall & Opel are the GM Brands after 2016

tinyurl.com/ny3ft85

Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - Meldrew
What a tragic loss to motoring!
 Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - R.P.
I'm very surprised that Vauxhall isn't being dumped. I would imagine that Opel has more showroom appeal these days.
 Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - RattleandSmoke
How will we cope without them! Makes a lot of sense though, Chevrolet never really did work as a brand in Europe.

I still thing Vauxhall is a stronger brand in the UK than Opel, we all know what is Opel is but the general public probably don't.
That used to be the argument - people are far more savvy these days....there's even a Dacia delaership around here these-days !
 Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - idle_chatterer
Don't Chevrolet sell ostensibly the same range as Holden in Aus (Commodore excepted) ?

Rumour on the news here in Aus today is that Holden will shut up shop in 2016 too.

Opel lasted 1 year in Aus, the Astra and Insignia being imported as 'premium brands' but couldn't command a premium price so were uneconomic for GM. There were some amazing bargains on Insignia and Astra back in Sept as a result, however (see my post on Vauxhall reliability) - I 'got a grip' and let it pass.

I'm told that the Holden Cruze (which shares much with the Astra) is reasonably good, the Commodore is certainly handsome and reputed to handle well, however taxi drivers (in their Ford Falcons and Toyota Camrys) tell me that the Commodore's Calais sibling is unreliable.

Cheverolet won't be mourned I suspect, Holden probably will given the following its V8s have around here.

Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - Dog
>>Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016

TF for that!
 Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - Robin O'Reliant
The name Chevrolet conjures up an image of a big V8 gas guzzler. Seeing it on a little Matiz always gives me a fit of the giggles.
 Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - Armel Coussine
>> The name Chevrolet conjures up an image of a big V8 gas guzzler.

Up to a point, although Oldsmobile and Cadillac are the makes for that really. Probably a majority of Chevrolets were straight sixes and some Americans regarded them as 'small' modest cars... I don't know what or how many capacities of six were made, but probably many over the years, between 3 and 5 litres...

Same with Ford and Chrysler and their subsidiaries. Americans are thrifty in their own fashion...

EDIT: what we call the Rover V8 engine is really a Buick small-block aluminium V8, a relatively modern unit that BL bought the rights to from GM.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 5 Dec 13 at 16:02
 Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - Zero
What bunch of brainless dead head morons ever thought they could badge Daewoo's as Chevrolet anyway.

Tits.

Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - Dog
Praps GM thought we were brainless-dead-head-morons.
they were wrong there as well
 Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - mikeyb
I dont really understand why GM have kept the VX brand. Has it really got such a loyal following? Is the brand profitable in the UK so they are reluctant to meddle?
>> I dont really understand why GM have kept the VX brand. Has it really got
>> such a loyal following? Is the brand profitable in the UK so they are reluctant
>> to meddle?

Its a big market for GM, Opel and GM have no history here, so using that brand name would be a sales balls up.
 Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - Falkirk Bairn
>> I dont really understand why GM have kept the VX brand. Has it really got
>> such a loyal following? Is the brand profitable in the UK so they are reluctant
>> to meddle?
>>
Vx = only sold in UK
Opel RHD cars sold in Eire, Cyprus, Malta etc

Eire car taxes are enormous so wholesale prices before tax are lower.

A few years back Motorpoint imported some Opels, re badged them as Vauxhalls but failed - small nuances in the specs were their downfall - they were fined under the Trades Description Act.

Maybe keeping the Vx name eliminates cross border / parallel imports.
That's the real reason. I'd prefer to have my Vauxhall as an Opel...IYKWIM
 Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - Robin O'Reliant
>> That's the real reason. I'd prefer to have my Vauxhall as an Opel...IYKWIM
>>

They'd probably go the whole hog and rebadge it the Opel Fruit.
 Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - mikeyb
Are there any decent models in the UK Chevy line up? Just thinking ahead as now the brand name is doomed then the residuals will be shocking so any future second hand bargains to be had?
 Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - Boxsterboy
The Volt is a good car (and a proper US car, not rebadged far east muck).
 Chevrolet - - no more in Europe after 2016! - Auntie Lockbrakes
The Cruze - badged a Holden in these parts - seems to have sold quite well down under and seems to be a reasonable motor. Sales are on the wane I believe though, even with hatchback and estate versions joining the saloon in the range about a year ago. It's probably set to be killed off in 2016 with the Aus-built Commodore.

The Holden factory in Aus also builds cars with the Chevy badge for the US markets, but volumes are very low (blamed on the exchange rate).

Can't imagine anyone in Europe will miss the Chevy brand...
Latest Forum Posts