Motoring Discussion > DPF removal= MOT fail Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Baz Replies: 15

DPF removal= MOT fail - Baz
tinyurl.com/nphcgpu

According to DOT press release, removal will be made an MOT failure.
Will be expensive for many people, judging by the number of companies out there offering this service.
 DPF removal= MOT fail - madf
Serve them right
 DPF removal= MOT fail - ....
MOTs for EuroIV and above diesels is about to get very expensive.
Without taking the exhaust off and checking the content of the filter box or interrogating the engine management how will they know it's been removed?
 DPF removal= MOT fail - Rudedog
This has caused a lot of chat on the other car forum I go on, drivers who have had their cars modified claim that the MoT testers will have no way of knowing if their car had one as standard so are dismissing it out of hand that it will apply to them, I hope for their sake they are right otherwise it could be an expensive re-modification to add the DPF back.
 DPF removal= MOT fail - Old Navy
>>.......... claim that the MoT testers will have no way of knowing if their car had one as standard.......>>

Even though DPFs were mandatory from a specific date, (early 2010?), and I would think there must be an original equipment database. Not very bright are they?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 6 Dec 13 at 11:12
 DPF removal= MOT fail - sherlock47
>>MoT testers will have no way of knowing if<<<

Surely this will depend on if the dpf has been replaced a straight pipe (obvious) or the innards have been removed, (difficult to tell).

I think that the businesses make a living at 'removing them' it will just start producing fake 'empty' dpfs.

DPF removal= MOT fail - Duncan
If the DPF is removed, the car will fail the MOT on emissions - surely?
 DPF removal= MOT fail - Old Navy
At the moment chemical composition of the diesel exhaust is not tested, it is only a smoke density test. Basically measuring a light shining through it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 6 Dec 13 at 12:28
 DPF removal= MOT fail - RattleandSmoke
Been told a lot of coach companies are ordering new stock early to avoid the changes that are coming in next year. I am so glad I have a fairly simple petrol with the only complex emissions bit being the lambda sensor and cat converter both cheap repairs.

I can see diesels going out of fashion and be mainly used by high mileage motor way users.
 DPF removal= MOT fail - DP
There is nothing wrong with DPFs if your usage fits their requirements. Can't say I've even noticed the 320d has one, to be honest.

The problem is people buying / being sold diesels that really should be buying petrols. It's an education issue.
 DPF removal= MOT fail - RattleandSmoke
Indeed people buy them thinking they will save a fortune on fuel because they had one as a hire car once and it did 50mpg. They soon have a shock when it every MOT it needs expensive repairs.

I think you need to be doing around 15k a year plus and mostly motorway miles before a diesel starts to make sense given the fact they cost more to buy in the first place.

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 6 Dec 13 at 13:41
 DPF removal= MOT fail - Bromptonaut

>> I think you need to be doing around 15k a year plus and mostly motorway
>> miles before a diesel starts to make sense given the fact they cost more to
>> buy in the first place.

In strict economic terms that's probably true though better residuals on diesels may affect the numbers. Some of us however prefer a diesel for the way it drives, even if it costs bit more than a petrol.

When we're talking about DPFs it's repeated short runs that kill them. Our Berlingo will be doing around 10k but given it gets out on the motorway every couple of weeks with intervening fast A road runs I've no concerns about the DPF.
 DPF removal= MOT fail - Enoughalready
I've always avoided diesels. My builder bought himself an 59reg Audi A3 diesel recently. The warning light appeared on his dash and I asked him why he bought a diesel as he had a van for work and the car would be for local driving. He replied that a petrol version hadn't entered his head.

I told him to thrash it up the motorway to see if he can clear the DPF and get rid.

Diesels IMO are only good for high mileage. If they go wrong it's expensive and the clouds of black smoke coming out of 4 year old TDI's on gear change is most unattractive.
Last edited by: Enoughalready on Fri 6 Dec 13 at 16:16
 DPF removal= MOT fail - Dutchie
Of course it should be a MOT fail plus a heavy fine would do.
 DPF removal= MOT fail - ....
>> I've always avoided diesels. ...
>>
>> Diesels IMO are only good for high mileage. If they go wrong it's expensive and
>> the clouds of black smoke coming out of 4 year old TDI's on gear change
>> is most unattractive.
>>
We must have been extremely lucky with our last 4 diesels.
My wife has had two with the additive covering fewer than 10k miles / year, often running 2.5 miles from cold switching off then 2.5 miles home twice a day.
I had a EuroIII diesel to which I added an aftermarket DPF (HJS City-Filter) to get a green environment sticker to carry on driving in city centres in Germany. My commute to work is often 10 miles each way in 30mph to 50mph limits.
I've just replaced this car with a Euro V diesel which is again doing short runs.

I've read about some Euro IV equipped DPFs having issues, I think it was rtj experienced a rising oil level in a Mazda. I'm keeping an eye on my Euro V and will report back if I have any issues but so far so good.

Could it be the fuel in the UK ?
 DPF removal= MOT fail - Boxsterboy
Ive driven diesels for the last 20 years and have never had 'diesel' problems. Oh, apart from a faulty glowplug on a Renault Extra van 18 years ago. My wife did 8 years of short runs in her Citroen C8 HDI (50,000 miles in total) and that had no problems either. You could tell when the DPF was regenerating, but it never had any problems.

Maybe it's the way some people drive them?
Latest Forum Posts