Motoring Discussion > Ford Fiesta - Number 1 best-seller again! Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 9

Ford Fiesta - Number 1 best-seller again! - Auntie Lockbrakes
So I see that as usual the Fiesta is the UK's best-seller by a mile. And runner up is its Ford sibling the Focus. Well done Ford. GM beaten year-in year-out.

Just curious as to who buys these cars? Statistically someone on this forum should own a Fiesta - we have Pat! - but judging by the statistics there should be a dozen on every street corner?!

So where has our love affair with the Fiesta stemmed from? Not knocking the car. My family went through half a dozen of 'em in the 80s and 90s!
 Ford Fiesta - Number 1 best-seller again! - Pat
I'm not sure there are too many who have a love affair for Fiesta's Nick.

Like us, it's a purely practical decision and certainly wouldn't have been considered if we only needed one car.

The main dealer who serviced the Mondeo always gave me one as a courtesy car and it did surprise me how much small cars had changed over the years since I'd last driven one.

The last small car I could compare it to would be an Austin Allegro!

Things had moved on, seats were comfortable, it nipped about nicely and felt like a Mondeo in it's childhood years.

Certainly it worked from a marketing point of view, we never even looked at anything else when wanting a second runabout car.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Fri 6 Dec 13 at 05:09
 Ford Fiesta - Number 1 best-seller again! - Haywain
We had a Fiesta prior to the Focus which we've been running for almost 10 years. The Focus has been an excellent car and Mrs H is looking to replace it with a 1.0L 3-cylinder Fiesta when she retires. Ford must be doing something right; I suspect that the people who buy them are simply looking for a trouble-free, inexpensive, unpretentious machine. Having said that, someone will be along shortly to say that theirs was a complete load of rubbish!
 Ford Fiesta - Number 1 best-seller again! - Dog
I've always had a fondness for the Fiesta - especially the readers wives section.

:}
 Ford Fiesta - Number 1 best-seller again! - R.P.
You old dog.

I park my truck in health service compound. If I head to the nether regions of the county I'm there before the masses. Out of 13 vehicles in the compound last Tuesday 12 were Fords and 11 were Fiestas - they are all Health Trust runabouts - one 12 reg one has been parked there for the last 3 weeks with flat tyre. Most Fiesta sales are company/lease I would imagine.
 Ford Fiesta - Number 1 best-seller again! - Avant
Fords and Vauxhalls sell in huge numbers to fleets - but Fords are also good to drive, so they pick up more private sales than Vauxhalls. I should think that some people buy Corsas because that's what they learned to drive in.
 Ford Fiesta - Number 1 best-seller again! - RattleandSmoke
I've owned three Fiestas, my dad had one, he was going to buy a brand new one last year to replace his R Reg Fiesta but with all the kit we needed it would have cost around £11,000 even with a big discount.

In the end the £5500 saving offered by a brand new pre reg i10 was just too good to miss.

I owned a Corsa myself I quite liked it, but it was just too unreliable.

I am not sure why the Fiesta is still number one, but they make good private buys because people know they parts are cheap and it is likely that back street garages will understand them due to the shear numbers of them.

One reason I but my Panda is it has a FIRE engine, and every back street mechanic should know that engine inside out as it has been around since the Uno.
 Ford Fiesta - Number 1 best-seller again! - retgwte
lots of fiesta registrations are hire cars, company cars, heavily discounted to ford employees or family, etc

it would be interesting to know how they rank as a direct sale to an end consumer versus the rest

Ford Fiesta - Number 1 best-seller again! - Bill Payer
>> lots of fiesta registrations are hire cars, company cars, heavily discounted to ford employees or
>> family, etc
>>
>> it would be interesting to know how they rank as a direct sale to an
>> end consumer versus the rest
>>
I don't know how significant the friends and family numbers would be, but I read somewhere that 25% of Fiestas are sold to fleets.

November 2013 was pretty well exactly 50/50 overall - 160K sales, 80K fleet, and some of the private sales are likely to be funded by company car allowances.

Fiesta was only 8,800 in total - nice to be no1 but it's not like it totally dominated the market.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Fri 6 Dec 13 at 15:44
 Ford Fiesta - Number 1 best-seller again! - retgwte
Out in Essex lots of people know someone who works at Ford, so seem to be able to get employee discount one way or another.

Lots of snot coloured ford focii too, RS or ST whatever

I forget how bad snot coloured cars look, then drive back into Essex and they are everywhere

Latest Forum Posts