Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Polo V - Polo GTi - 180HP! Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 8

Volkswagen Polo V - Polo GTi - 180HP! - Auntie Lockbrakes
The current Polo GTi has caught my eye. Supercharged and turbocharged: 179bhp and 0-60 in 7 seconds! Looks cracking. What's not to like?!

Tempted to go and view one after the Xmas hols: tinyurl.com/qx6o8e6

Much cheaper than the equivalent Golf GTi... Anybody driven/bought/run one?

Read somewhere that VW are about to discontinue the engine because it's too complex (costly?) to manufacture?
 Volkswagen Polo V - Polo GTi - 180HP! - rtj70
>> What's not to like?

DSG?
 Volkswagen Polo V - Polo GTi - 180HP! - Zero
>What's not to like?!

this bit

VW are about to discontinue the engine because it's too complex (costly?) to manufacture?

Which also means too complex and costly to get right, fix and service.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Polo GTi - 180HP! - madf
>> >What's not to like?!
>>
>> this bit
>>
>> VW are about to discontinue the engine because it's too complex (costly?) to manufacture?
>>
>>
>> Which also means too complex and costly to get right, fix and service.
>>

Which means when he warranty runs out - tough. No Toyota or Honda treatment of cars up to 10 years old.

Different world.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Polo GTi - 180HP! - DP
The engine is a dog.

SWMBO's cousin is a Skoda tech. They are forever investigating rampant oil consumption issues under warranty on Fabia vRS TSi engines, and most of the time the only course of action is a complete engine replacement. The engines also suffer badly from carbon build up if they actually do manage to get to a reasonable mileage.

Volkswagen Polo V - Polo GTi - 180HP! - Avant
Go for something with the 2.0 TSI engine. Unlike many highish-powered petrol engines, this one has plenty of low-down torque; my last Octavia vRS did 33,000 miles without using oil, and I've replaced it with another.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Polo GTi - 180HP! - Armel Coussine
There was an interesting fast mid-engined Polo some time back with a (turbocharged I think) 1800cc aircooled flat four, from the VW 412/ and the 914, in place of the rear seat. No idea how many were sold and the model soon vanished.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Polo GTi - 180HP! - carmalade
A friend of mine has a Seat Bocanegra fitted with this engine,owned from new,it uses more oil than fuel.It is just 3 years old and dealer can,t/won,t fix it.He just keeps a new set of spark plugs in the glove box,ready to change at every 5k miles.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Polo GTi - 180HP! - Auntie Lockbrakes
Thanks for the heads-up folks, I'll cross it off the list! Polo is probably a bit small anyway.

Similar money buys a 2010 Golf GTi with less than 50,000 miles. Should be a better bet?!
Latest Forum Posts