Motoring Discussion > Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 30

Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - Falkirk Bairn
Following on from Ford withdrawal

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25328924

Only Australian car Manufacturer will be TOYOTA!

GM is now world No 4 in Volume of car sales

Toyota is No 1 - followed by VW Group and then Hyundai/Kia, then GM
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - RattleandSmoke
I would imagine the brand Holden will still exist, but will be just other GM products mainly from the USA and Europe and maybe of course the Chevy's we will no longer get although I suspect they will no longer make RHD chevys.
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - Old Navy
As left hand drive cars are illegal in Australia, no RHD Chevys = no Chevys in Australia.
>> I would imagine the brand Holden will still exist, but will be just other GM
>> products mainly from the USA and Europe

GM Korea (Daewoo) will be source of 2 litres & under
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - rtj70
Vauxhall is only a badge these days. If you pry off the front griffin badge you'll see the Open lightning symbol in black cut-out plastic underneath. I know because I've seen 3 Vauxhall Vectras in 2 days without their badge (must be the in thing to steal these now).

But at least GM Europe makes cars in the UK.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 11 Dec 13 at 18:53
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - Number_Cruncher
>>Vauxhall is only a badge these days.

You have to back some time to find significant technical differences between a Vauxhall and the Opel equivalent.

At one point this did take the effort to stick a different V shaped grill on the Vauxhall branded vehicles. Now it's just sticking the badge on the same grill. And under the badge you can see the Open badge in black plastic in the cutout.
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - Runfer D'Hills
There's a not-very-bright guy ( nice enough fellow to be fair ) in our warehouse who has recently changed all the badges on his old Vauxhall Vectra to Opel ones. Not sure why. Don't like to ask.
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - Robin O'Reliant
>> There's a not-very-bright guy ( nice enough fellow to be fair ) in our warehouse
>> who has recently changed all the badges on his old Vauxhall Vectra to Opel ones.
>> Not sure why. Don't like to ask.
>>

I've thought of doing that myself. And I'm not sure why either.
Do you have sticky out ears RR? I've noticed a trend for older Vauxhalls with modifications being driven by men with sticky out ears. One of those inexplicable but undeniable facts.
>> Do you have sticky out ears RR? I've noticed a trend for older Vauxhalls with
>> modifications being driven by men with sticky out ears. One of those inexplicable but undeniable facts.
>>

Not particularly. But I do keep a pair of fingerless mitts in the car, does that count?
Not aware of them being original equipment but maybe I'm wrong. How's the Astra shaping up anyway?
>> Not aware of them being original equipment but maybe I'm wrong. How's the Astra shaping up anyway?
>>

At the risk of tempting fate I'm delighted with it. I even discovered it has air-con, not that I'm a fan of that. It'll go on once a month to keep it working, as the manual advises.
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - Haywain
"...recently changed all the badges on his old Vauxhall Vectra to Opel ones…"

So, it' no longer a Vauxhall??? I hope he's informed his insurer and the DVLA!
I shouldn't think he's told his wife never mind them !

They have Vauxhalls badged as Opels in Ireland by the by. So there are such things as RHD Opels.

Long time ago I coveted an Opel Manta. Nearest I got was a solid custard yellow, 1.6L saloon Cavalier Mk1. Close, but not really close enough.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 11 Dec 13 at 21:10
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - Zero
Sad this, because some of the Holdens were not just rebadged GM products, but pretty unique to the local market, as were the Ford Falcons.

one of my dead rellies in Aus, will be turning in his grave, a committed "Holden Man"
It will be a shame if some of the bonkers V8 Holden's (and rebadged as Vauxhalls here) are no more. Good value muscle cars. Not that I want one.
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - Number_Cruncher
The estate version of the mkII Cavalier must have had some Australian input, any estate specific parts would arrive in Holden branded packaging.

>> The estate version of the mkII Cavalier must have had some Australian input, any estate
>> specific parts would arrive in Holden branded packaging.

Probably a Holden "ute" with a bit of bodywork on the load bed.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 11 Dec 13 at 20:20
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - Boxsterboy
>> The estate version of the mkII Cavalier must have had some Australian input,
>>

Yes, I seem to recall that is was an Australian adaptation of the European designed Cavalier that was sold in Aus as a Holden, which made it's way to our market. Not sure where they were made, though.
I might if they were RHD, but I forgot at the time that they seemed to be pulling out of the market, and I wonder if the Daweoo aspect of it is as well given that the UK won't get them after 2015.

I would have thought Australia had more enough supply from Japan, Malaysia and Europe so GM might not be too bothered about offering cars for the Auzzie market.
The news article is about making cars in Australia. GM will still hope to sell them. And maybe the Holden badge will remain only it will be stuck on cars made elsewhere.
Yeah I am not saying they will pull out but they may not be fussed about designing cars especially for the Australian market. They will probably just sell slightly modified existing products.
A few years ago 2.5 dollars = 1gbp
Now 1.5 to the gbp

The rise is due to coal, iron ore etc sales to China
Aussies say they are selling the country to China. By the tonne.
I was there during both exchange rates, 2.5 is great, 1.5 hurts. :-)
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - Stuu
They have been laying off staff at Holden factories so this is no suprise.
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - idle_chatterer
The high AUD is certainly a big factor, it is currently 'down' to about 1.8 to the GBP (.91 to the USD) but was as high as 1.43 to the GBP (1.05 to the USD) in March 2013.

Australian prices (and wages) didn't fall as their currency appreciated and the expected standard of living is very high, there's been a two-speed economy for some time, manufacturing has suffered whilst mining has surged, the end of the mining boom has cut capital investment and that is now hurting the rest of the economy which it was previously sustaining.

Then there's the cars, even though Australians habitually accept higher prices for their cars Holden no longer makes cars that Australians want, the Commodore isn't available with a four cylinder engine or a diesel (OK so maybe that's not its target market). Other cars are rebadged Daiwoos and the Cruze (which is a cheapened Astra). Imported cars have become more affordable as tariffs have been dropped and guess what - Aussies buy them. Toyota manufactures locally and its cars are reputedly much more reliable than Holdens too.

End result, like Rover in the UK, Holden aren't viable without government subsidy, I've read some arguments that the return on that money for the wider economy is justified. Whatever, Mitsubishi left in 2008, Holden is going, Ford is going and Toyota will likely follow as the critical mass of component manufacturers dwindle.

As an aside - LHD cars are allowed on Australian roads, as long as they're over 30 years old.
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - Auristocrat
Toyota currently build the Camry, Camry Hybrid and Aurion (Camry based) in Australia. The Australian PM is entering talks with Toyota re keeping manufacturing in Australia - www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25344162
>> As an aside - LHD cars are allowed on Australian roads, as long as they're
>> over 30 years old.
>>

I'll be OK then, I passed my Aussie test 45 years ago. :-)
 Holden - No more - No Oz manufacture after 2017 - henry k
>> Following on from Ford withdrawal
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25328924
>>
>> Only Australian car Manufacturer will be TOYOTA!
>>
and
>>Toyota currently build the Camry, Camry Hybrid and Aurion (Camry based) in Australia. The Australian PM is entering talks with Toyota re keeping manufacturing in Australia - www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25344162
>>
So the title " No Oz manufacture after 2017" has come true.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26114894

Toyota is to end its vehicle and engine production in Australia by the end of 2017, effectively marking the end of the country's car making industry
Latest Forum Posts