Motoring Discussion > Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 25

Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - henry k
A very graphic image.
www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/north-circular-crash-three-die-2954522

A normal view of the road.
metro.co.uk/2013/12/23/north-circular-crash-two-arrested-after-three-die-in-collision-with-lorry-travelling-in-opposite-direction-4240905/
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - Biggles
I am not sure that I would use the adjective "tragic" in connection with that accident. Upsetting for the families, sure, but not tragic.
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - MD
Should one choose to live by the Sword, then that is the risk that one runs.
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - Zero
at least the innocent bystanders were not killed.
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - Haywain
Ditto what Zed sed.
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - R.P.
Still you can't blame their loved ones for their foolishness.....tragic for them.
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - nice but dim
Sorry no sympathy from me at all, fed up of all this Paul Walker rubbish and memorial meets I hear about, wouldnt surprise me if it was one of them meets that led to this. The one in Aberdeen made me laugh that set on fire and he was wragging it around a car park.

I think its time for restrictions like the motorbike system for cars. When you pass you are restricted to a certain bhp for two years and then can rise to another bhp for a further two years until say you have 4 years experience and then can drive any bhp cars. Beggars me why NOX is even legal, how does it fare MOT wise?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 27 Dec 13 at 00:50
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - bathtub tom
>> Beggars me why NOX is even legal, how does it fare MOT wise?

I believe it's illegal to use it on the public highway?
Its legal I think. your insurance company might withdraw cover if you tell them tho.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 24 Dec 13 at 13:34
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - Bromptonaut
>> I think its time for restrictions like the motorbike system for cars. When you pass
>> you are restricted to a certain bhp for two years and then can rise to
>> another bhp for a further two years until say you have 4 years experience and
>> then can drive any bhp cars.

But where would you set the BHP? The real issue is power/weight ratio. Now outside of Harleys and Goldwings I'd have thought there were few heavy bikes.

OTOH a 90bhp supermini is a pretty fast ship. The same engine in an estate or MPV is likely to be no more than middling.

I'd be pretty peed off if such a restriction stopped my kids driving the family cars.
In all honesty I don't know, maybe 50 bhp per ton? If there was a market opened up for low powered class A cars (lets call them) I'm sure the motor manufacturers will gladly open up a range for them.

It would also annoy me if someone I knew was prevented from driving a car due to a restriction, but that restriction may save someone serious injury or life if that numpty was flooring it past a junction say at half the speed than an unrestricted car.

I see it all the time, people bragging on facebook about new mods, posting videos of them showing off and this that and the other. Sad thing is most of these idiots are mid to late 20's, so god help them!

Its the usual case of a minority spoiling it for the majority of people.
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - Dave_
>> If there was a market opened up for low powered Class A cars

Didn't Italy have something similar in place once? I seem to recall the Punto Sporting with 6 speeds, a spoiler and big wheels but a 1.2 8v lump to meet the regs over there.
Could have been, I read a lot of hot italian cars were made in under 2.0L versions for tax reasons.
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - Lygonos
I hope mum or dad weren't fronting for the insurance or Christmas'll be cancelled for the next decade or two.
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - Armel Coussine
It's beyond belief to me that someone can get their hands on a machine as capable as that Subaru without a working understanding of the forces at work in a fast-moving car, and their limits. Either they'd stolen it or the owner (if present) must have been pretty trusting to put it mildly.

Unstable young men in particular sometimes drive in a way which is literally and intentionally suicidal. They don't bother to think of those who may suffer collateral damage or death. It is morally reprehensible behaviour.
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - MJW1994
They should be required to do a certain number of hours on track days to get a feel for the car. One of my friends has an Imprezza, he drives it hard but is totally safe, I've never felt even remotely uneasy when I've been with him but he does track days where he and others get to really put the cars through their paces in a safe environment. Being young (he's 24) does not necessarily mean being an idiot, he's one of the best and safest drivers I've been with and one of the few people that I let drive my car since he knows how to drive properly - no slipping clutch or jerking gear changes etc. Age is no barrier to stupidity.
>> Age is no barrier to stupidity.

Quite MJW, I wasn't suggesting young drivers are all dangerous or that older ones weren't dangerous. I know lots, most probably, are good and responsible like your friend. One would hope that people with fast cars would be enthusiasts who take the whole business seriously where it matters, like your friend.

Two things though: inexperience and poor emotional control, 'excitability', contribute to many of the serious accidents that do involve young drivers.

My reference to 'unstable young men' should be taken literally. They do exist. Adolescents can be immature and given to moods, depressive feelings. They can then drive in a careless or reckless manner without being aware of the reasons, unconsciously suicidal behaviour so to speak. I have known it to happen with certain individuals.

Actually such behaviour can also take place in individuals old enough to know better. I've seen that too.
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - Westpig
>> >> Age is no barrier to stupidity.

No..trouble is though, the way the thing works is you make your mistakes when you're young, so you can make a better deal of it when you're older.

I'd agree though that some when young are more sensible than others, some don't make it to old and some are still stupid when old.
Anyone for a bit of black humour?

The positive out of this crash is:

....only two more deaths to go for a speed camera.
>> black humour?

>> ....only two more deaths to go for a speed camera.

Very black indeed Wp... ghastly things... (But I do know one good one)

Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - Gromit
Didn't Italy have something similar in place once?

Yes, Italy, Ireland and Denmark (Japan too) had a steep jump in road tax for engines of 2000cc or larger. Which is why Fiats, Alfas Toyotas and Subarus tended to have 1998 cc 'two litre' models. And why Imprezzas etc were turbocharged.
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - legacylad
After a muddy afternoon dog walking, I've just spent the evening having a few beers with a good pal of mine and his missus. He has just finished 5 late shifts working as a fireman, and told me about recent RTC's he has had to attend. He shouldn't have. It was sobering, and incredibly sad, stuff. His opinion of paramedics, and docs in fast response vehicles, is sky high.
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - Pat
I can't imagine the lorry driver has had the best Christmas either.

Pat
don't worry I am sure they arrested him anyway, just because he was a lorry driver involved.
 Tragic Christmas for families of London crash. - Lygonos
>> His opinion of paramedics, and docs in fast response vehicles, is sky high.

+1

Exceptionally skilled adrenalin-junkies.

Too grim for my tastes though - I don't mind horror perhaps once or twice a year but not on a daily basis.

>> His opinion of paramedics,
>> and docs in fast response vehicles, is sky high.
>>

...and so is mine.

Many a time I've been stood there thinking 'F...'

......and then you hear the sirens and realise someone else is going to step in and take over that bit.

Many moons ago the ambulance service went on strike (late 80's?)....the only strike yet that I've've had any sympathy for...of the three emergency services, ambulance crew are noticeably underpaid for what they have to do.
Latest Forum Posts