Motoring Discussion > Tyre sizes Buying / Selling
Thread Author: scot22 Replies: 17

Tyre sizes - scot22
A very open question about something I am not sure about when choosing a car. What are the differences between having a car with 15,16, or 17 tyres - not interested in bigger. ? Does it, for example, have any effect on safety ? Thanks for information.
 Tyre sizes - PeterS
Well larger wheels allow larger brake discs to be fitted, which I suppose has some safety benefit. Purely theoretical in the case of by most cars though, where the aesthetic benefit is the primary reason for fitting them...as seen by the teeny discs, especially at the rear, of 19" wheel shod BMW 316is!! For a given model, larger wheels tend to just mean lower profile tyres to maintain the same rolling radius. Are there benefits to lower profile tyres I wonder? Sharper turn-in and steering feel perhaps? That might, in extremis, help avoid an accident I suppose. The biggest effect, felt most of the time however, is to worsen the ride!
 Tyre sizes - MJW1994
And generally more expensive to replace. Go for 16'' with 55 profile.
 Tyre sizes - Slidingpillar
Bigger diameter=worse ride=more expensive to replace.

Mostly it's just fashion.

Ok so the vintage car has 19" wheels, but the tyres are 4.00x19" ie cross plies and in vintage terms - a very common size.
 Tyre sizes - PeterS
Just to show how these things changed in just 10 years, the first A4 I had in 1996 came with 195/65/15 tyres. Three years later I had one on 205/55/16s, then in 2003 235/45/17 and finally a 2007 one with what I think were 235/40/18s! Plenty of A4s today on 19" wheels.

But as a counterbalance our 1996 A8 has 17" wheels with 225/55 tyres for its 300 bhp. The BMW 5 series I test drove last week, which had 340bhp, was fitted with 17" wheels with 225/55 tyres! 19" options probably available!
 Tyre sizes - Manatee
This 4 litre V12 Ferrari 330 Spyder manages quite well without big wheels and low profile tyres. Or did in 1968 anyway.

Love the wheels on this car. I think alloys with a supporting web rather than spokes will come into fashion at some point.

goo.gl/SOsdlr
 Tyre sizes - Manatee
Appearance aside, the main thing it has an effect on is the price of the tyres.

Larger diameter are usually wider, which has a slight fuel penalty.

A bigger wheel option on the same model usually means lower profile tyres because the overall diameter remains the same, even if the width doesn't increase.

I'm not a fan of very low profile tyres - even the 225/55R18s on the Outlander are pushing it for me. Too easy to damage a wheel.

I wouldn't think there is an effect on safety overall - different tyres will perform differently in different respects and in different conditions.

Narrower tyres should be less prone to aquaplaning, everything else being equal, as the contact patch is smaller. Anecdotally they are also better on snow.

Large wheels and wide low profile tyres are mostly about fashion (IMO).
 Tyre sizes - scot22
Many thanks for these invaluable replies. I very much appreciate people taking the time and trouble to share their knowledge. Currently I'm considering a 2010 A class petrol with the smaller tyre sizes and wanted to find out any differences. Its a CVT which has had mixed comments about the system. I know I'll need to drive it but now I'm happy about the tyres can set this up. It's changing the subject but has anyone experience of CVT ( I realise its personal preference but value your opinions ) ?
 Tyre sizes - carmalade
Continuously Variable Trouble! .
 Tyre sizes - Ted

Crappy Vehicle Transmission !

HO
 Tyre sizes - scot22
Thanks - seems you don't like it.
 Tyre sizes - WillDeBeest
Never mind the transmission, it's just a horrible car. I imagine it selling to E owners who might buy one, sight-unseen, for 'the wife' or 'the nanny'; I've driven one (forum search 'A160' for my notes on it) and I can't see why anyone would prefer it to an A3 or even a Focus.
 Tyre sizes - scot22
Thanks for your experience. Coincidentally I've been thinking of a Focus. One concern is they seem to all be sports suspension which I understand doesn't make for a comfortable ride. Regarding tyres, to make myself clearer, I wouldn't dream of swapping tyres from makers recommendations. Its just when buying another car I was interested to find out what difference tyre size made : definitely wouldn't change specified tyres.
 Tyre sizes - WillDeBeest
Here we are:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=11201&v=f

Thought I might have been remembering unkindly but no, if anything 'horrible' was being generous. If you've tried one and disagree, Scot, perhaps you'd like to write something in its favour.
 Tyre sizes - scot22
I've driven a 2001 A class which I was quite happy with. It was reasonably comfortable and, for me, quite a pleasant drive. However, I'm a firm believer in individual views and preferences. I've not driven the later W169 nor have I any experience of driving with CVT. The problem with test drives is that its not the same as living with it. My current car is a diesel Volvo c30 which I love as a car and drive. However, the limited practicality of it after 3 years has exhausted my patience. I would really prefer a 4 door automatic petrol ( diesel not really suitable for my motoring ) I was smitten by comfort and lovely drive. Really I want a safe,comfortable,reliable and good value car - like most people I expect. Not a large car because my parking skills need improvement. Suggestions welcome : way off tyres but I suppose they will be needed !
 Tyre sizes - Old Navy
>> My current car is a diesel Volvo c30 which I love as
>> a car and drive.

I think you will find that your C30 is a Focus under the skin. Most of the suspension and oily bits are, my Focus had a Volvo branded washer bottle cap, Ford owned Volvo cars for a while.
 Tyre sizes - swiss tony
Forget the fact the A class has CVT.
Just price up a few repairs... replacing a starter motor for instance... (not that they ever need replacing on those ;-) )
 Tyre sizes - Shiny
My A8L has boring but confortable 17" wheels and pretty large 360mm brake discs.
I think larger wheels do look better, but compromise everything else.
Latest Forum Posts