Motoring Discussion > Amazing escape from accident Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 12

Amazing escape from accident - Westpig
How on earth does anyone walk away from this?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-25529589
 Amazing escape from accident - BobbyG
No idea!! The cut must have been nicely behind the occupants! Is that a Lexus?
 Amazing escape from accident - bathtub tom
I haven't seen anything like that since the 'cut and shut' days.

Perhaps it's designed to do it?
 Amazing escape from accident - Fursty Ferret
Perhaps we should be redesigning road signs...
 Amazing escape from accident - WillDeBeest
I think we have. New signs are on latticework pylons, presumably so they deform on an impact like this. Don't runway approach lights have frangible supports for the same reason?
 Amazing escape from accident - Zero
Given that a: these people walked away, and b: the number of deaths in road accidents low and staying low, perhaps we need to redesign nothing.
 Amazing escape from accident - Manatee
>> Given that a: these people walked away, and b: the number of deaths in road
>> accidents low and staying low, perhaps we need to redesign nothing.

And also given that trees are still more numerous than road signs, and we can't redesign those.
 Amazing escape from accident - Shiny
Some sort of Jap Crap.
 Amazing escape from accident - Shiny
Mitsubishi Sportback
www.bestautophoto.com/images/tuning-mitsubishi-lancer-sportback-es-04.jpg
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Sat 28 Dec 13 at 11:52
 Amazing escape from accident - Victorbox
Only a week or so ago I was reading an article about the 50's/60's GM X-Frame cars where GM and Ford were mud slinging about each other's cars being sliced in half when hitting immovable objects. Quite a long article but the relevant bit to this accident is in the section about Ralph Nader tinyurl.com/7afxhq9 Looks like modern cars still can't resist a major side impact.
 Amazing escape from accident - Fenlander
A road I travel these days buy don't really like. Noticed this in the local paper and wondered what sort of speed was involved for such a dramatic "cut" through.
 Amazing escape from accident - Arctophile
For many years now it has been mandatory for traffic sign posts over 75mm dia. to be passively safe, i.e they should deform if struck. 75mm posts should collapse anyway.

I should have bought shares in the company that imported the lattice posts from Scandinavia.

Any more substantantial posts must be protected by safety fencing unless they are well back from the carriageway.

In this case the car may have slipped behind the safety fence or perhaps 'flown' over it.
 Amazing escape from accident - Fullchat
It only had a broken number plate until someone complained of a stiff neck and the fire brigade set to :)

Seriously lucky. Should have bought a lottery ticket that day.
Latest Forum Posts