Motoring Discussion > Fiat and Chrysler are one…. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 52

Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - R.P.
Just reading the rolling news on the Beeb's website seems that Fiat have bought the remaining bit of Chrysler they didn't own before….7th largest car-maker in the world now.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25571200
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - Falkirk Bairn
Heading for a crash in the not to distant future?

That is assuming they get the combined outfit started!

MB did not make a fist of working with Chrysler - what makes Fiat think they can do any better?
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - Runfer D'Hills
I've noticed that a car I first saw in Italy badged as a Lancia is being sold here as a Chrysler Ypsilon.

Can't begin to say why but I think I'd probably rather have a Lancia than a Chrysler. Which is of course totally illogical.

Italian cars should just sound Italian is all maybe !
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - Armel Coussine
>> rather have a Lancia than a Chrysler.

Haven't tried an Ypsilon but it's an ugly little beast, not at all Lancia.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - RattleandSmoke
They decided to use the Chrysler badge as Lancias are just known for being rot boxes in the UK. Unfair now but names stick.

Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - sooty123
In fairness, Chrysler haven't the best image, not awful just no image.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - Boxsterboy
If I had the choice, I would rather have a Lancia badge on my car than Chrysler. The new mid-range model (Delta?) is an interesting looking car.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - Zero
>> If I had the choice, I would rather have a Lancia badge on my car
>> than Chrysler. The new mid-range model (Delta?) is an interesting looking car.

Is that 2014 speak for b***** ugly?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia_Delta
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - Alanovich

>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia_Delta
>>

It's just a FIAT Bravo. Which is no bad thing.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - Boxsterboy

>>
>> Is that 2014 speak for b***** ugly?
>>

Yes, interesting, as in challenging. Beauty is in the eye of the (hungover New Year reveller) beholder.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - Dog
>>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia_Delta

Good grief! :(
Depends where and when sooty. Used to be a classy large make in the US, with Dodge, Plymouth and I think De Soto as the non-premium badges.

I have no idea whether big Chryslers still exist in the US, but I wouldn't be surprised. I guess the whole US market has gone, er, downmarket. Those American jalopies aren't as lush and seductive as they used to be.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - madf
Chrysler 300c is not bad looking.
(but ttttoooooooo big)
>> 300c is not bad looking.

Not bad, but it's a bit of a brick aesthetically. Nor is it quite US 'full-size' as I remember it.

The 6.2 litre V8 version does sound quite fun.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - BiggerBadderDave
"Not bad, but it's a bit of a brick aesthetically."

I like them. Low roof, low profile window area, tall doors - very gangsta. I wouldn't have one personally though, but I'd like to try out that 6.2 litre V8.

Some buffoons change the grills and stick a Bentley logo on the boot. What are they trying to say?
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - BiggerBadderDave
There was a guy on HJ called Murphy the Cat, who love his 300C. I'd like to see what his driving now... back in a Merc again probably.
>> Murphy the Cat, who love his 300C.

Yes, he really did. His was a V6 diesel which he said could do 40mpg. He made it sound a nice motor.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - Alanovich
>> What are
>> they trying to say?

Ug ug grunt. Ug. Me want private number plate next. Ug.

*Sound of knuckles scraping rut to Elizabeth Duke at Argos jewellery counter then Stamford Bridge*
I think a 300c would be nice in pink with those lovely chrome revolving wheel trims... Parked in Buxton or Bath posh bits..

Tinted black windows would just finish the picture nicely.

Arriviste gangster drug dealer...
Last edited by: madf on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 16:24
>> Arriviste gangster drug dealer...

Tsk. Make your mind up FFS madf. Those are three distinct categories in my experience, which covers meetings with all three over the years...
>> >> Arriviste gangster drug dealer...
>>
>> Tsk. Make your mind up FFS madf. Those are three distinct categories in my experience,
>> which covers meetings with all three over the years...
>>
>>

As I am schizoid, I can assume one of three personalities at any time, so which mind is made up at any time is determined by which personalty is dominant at the time..:-)
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - Focusless
>> I think a 300c would be nice in pink with those lovely chrome revolving wheel
>> trims... Parked in Buxton or Bath posh bits..

Here? tinyurl.com/kstfg53 (DM)
:)

EDIT: looks like an Allegro in the picture!
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 17:38
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - PR
It's the culmination of 5 years hard work by Sergio marchionne. Fiat effectively acquired Chrysler for around 1/10th that Daimler paid for them.
And since they took over they have seen 48 consecutive months of sales growth (admittedly from a low position) but they must be doing something right.

Fiat have identified they now have 3 global brands (Maserati, jeep and alfa romeo), and have recently invested heavily in Maserati, with excellent results. The next project now the merger is complete is alfa Romeo, and a glut of new models is now on the cards. This has been planned for god knows how long however there was always the sticking point of completing the merger.

The fiat brand will largely be kept in Europe and South America, with Chrysler and dodge being n American only. The future of lancia is unclear, though I don't think it looks good at the moment. The decision to sell as chryslers here is a mystery to me, though the existing dealer network was a factor, though they also had the fiat network....

Ferrari spa is almost a standalone company and is managed separately.
Last edited by: PR on Fri 3 Jan 14 at 20:36
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - rtj70
FIAT have managed this and planned well. With the pay-off from the GM failed 'merger' they paid for the FIAT 500 development. In fact they got Ford to part fund it as it was also the basis for the Ka.

And then they expand the 500 range to use the Panda chassis so we have the 500L, 500L Treking, 500X etc. All good products (no uglier than some BMW Minis at least but some a bit big).

So the FIAT strategy for FIAT itself will be the 500 and Panda. Then there's Alfa. And Masserati. Ferrari of course. And all the Chrysler brands like Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge.

So it will now all go wrong and nearly bankrupt FIAT ;-)
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - Alastairw
Not to mention the ton or so of gold that Charlie Croker and his mates slipped away with a few years ago. Lol.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - Zero
>> And then they expand the 500 range to use the Panda chassis so we have
>> the 500L, 500L Treking, 500X etc. All good products (no uglier than some BMW Minis

Are you blind? they are hideous
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 3 Jan 14 at 23:06
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - rtj70
>> Are you blind? they are hideous

Of course they are hideous! As are some Minis!!!!

I was at the FIAT garage late last year to get a replacement and I was surprised how huge and ugly the 500L was!
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - swiss tony
>> The decision to sell as chryslers here is a mystery to me, though the existing dealer network was a factor, though they also had the fiat network....

I believe that the chrysler network is on death row.
It is only a matter of time (IMHO) before Fiat dealerships start taking on chrysler/jeep.
A few CJ dealers may take on Fiat, BUT only where a gap in the market area exists..
Not a good future for CJ dealers I fear...
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - PR
My local dealer is now an Alfa/Fiat/Jeep/Chrysler, has been for about a year now
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - mikeyb
My recent experience of trying to buy a Fiat was poor. Dealership one slow, criticised Fiats product line up / specs, then emailed me to say it was all a bit difficult at the end of the year so perhaps I'd like to get back in touch with them in the new year when the new price lists were out.
Dealer two had the right car but wasn't prepared to sell in line with the price list I had from Fiat as there wasn't enough margin in it........
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - RattleandSmoke
My experience is ok, in fact the dealer in Birmingham not only agreed to supplying the Panda for £6100 when the list was £7800 but also agreed to deliver it to a dealer near me.

My experience with my local dealer in Stockport is a bit patchy. Trying to charge me £160 for two front break pads then £80 for a new tyre for a ditch finder meant I will never go back.

Still got the tyre 3000 miles later and it is still on 4mm, and I got the breaks done by my indie for £45 inc labour.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one…. - Auntie Lockbrakes
Chrysler must be doing something right: their sales were 9% up in the US in 2013.

Here in NZ, the new joint importer of both Chrysler and Fiat is cutting model prices aggressively, which should be good for consumers. They've cut 30% off the price of the Fiat 500, to NZ$20k...
 Fiat and Chrysler are one�. - swiss tony
>> >> The decision to sell as chryslers here is a mystery to me, though the
>> existing dealer network was a factor, though they also had the fiat network....
>>
>> I believe that the chrysler network is on death row.
>> It is only a matter of time (IMHO) before Fiat dealerships start taking on chrysler/jeep.
>> A few CJ dealers may take on Fiat, BUT only where a gap in the
>> market area exists..
>> Not a good future for CJ dealers I fear...
>>

15 months ago I posted the above.
I was correct(ish) regards Chrysler.
I reckon another 18 months before Jeep will mostly be sold in Fiat dealerships.
Over the last 12 months 2 local(ish) dealers have closed...
 Fiat and Chrysler are one�. - ToMoCo
FIAT now dropping the Chrysler brand in UK

www.autoexpress.co.uk/chrysler/90850/chrysler-axed-in-the-uk
 Fiat and Chrysler are one�. - Runfer D'Hills
Should've called them Lancias. I've always kind of fancied the idea of owning a Lancia but never really wanted a Chrysler. Dumb narrow minded logic I know but there it is.

I've had Lancia Ypsilons as renters in Italy and they're actually very nice wee cars.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one�. - Zero
Don't expect wailing and weeping in the streets over the loss of a well loved range of cars and iconic brand.

The biggest tragedy of the motoring world is that heaped upon Lancia over the last 40 years.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one - WillDeBeest
That's a parochial view, Z. Lancia remains pretty healthy outside the UK.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one - ToMoCo
I thought Lancia was being withdrawn in general in Europe? I think it's healthy only in Italy
 Fiat and Chrysler are one - Runfer D'Hills
It is one of those brands though isn't it?

"Let's take the Lancia tonight darling" Has so much more of a ring to it than the "Chrysler"

Shouldn't do of course, but it really does.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one - Armel Coussine
A friend inherited a Lancia Fulvia 1600HF from his enthusiast mother. It was a very rapid machine with a brilliant engine, a zippy revvy narrow-angle V4. Its floor rusted though. Later he had a Gamma coupé. That had a 2 litre flat four and was also rapid, but too big somehow. Nowhere near as perfect as the Fulvia.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one - martin aston
I never saw Chrysler as having a distinctive image in UK so I am not surprised at the withdrawal. Much like Chevrolet who will cease new cars for UK later this year. In fact I bet most UK people couldn't distinguish a Chrysler from a Chevrolet even with all the badges etc still in place. Won't be mourned either of them I suspect.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one - WillDeBeest
I wouldn't lump Chrysler with Chevrolet. One suffered from an ill-assorted mish-mash of a range - part cheesy American, part recycled German, part rebadged Italian - so I suppose Martin's image comment is fair. But the other is strictly for people without the taste and discernment to buy a Vauxhall.

Most modern cars have a pressure pad in the passenger seat that's wired to the seatbelt warning; Daewoo-Chevrolets must have it wired to the ignition. Did you ever see one with just the driver aboard? No - strictly two-up, en route to (or from) him mooching around the supermarket in her wake, wearing beige blouson, tweed hat and expression of abject defeat.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one - Runfer D'Hills
You've just perfectly described my father in law ! Except he has a Fiesta. Only time he gets it to himself is on his begrudged weekly golf outing.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one - mikeyb
Think a few will miss the grand voyager - what will they use on the apprentice?

Seriously though there really isn't much to chose from if you are after a decent size 7 seat people carrier with some luggage space - The voyager was the only option outside of van based people movers
 Fiat and Chrysler are one - Falkirk Bairn
Chrysler & Chevrolet won't be missed by 99.XX% of the Public.

The only exceptions are their dealers and a few car hire companies who bought some, then found out how bad they were and bought no more. + The Apprentice for the BIG MPV.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one - R.P.
Fiat is more of a brand here than Chrysler ever was. American marketing thinks that as we have a common language that we have more in common with US motoring culture than with countries from the continent. Well done Fiat for binning a dreadful range of cars. Funnily enough I saw two specimens today on my travels a tiny, tinny ex- Daewoo and and something else that looked as if it was assembled from a cardboard box or three...shudder...
 Fiat and Chrysler are one - No FM2R
I loved our Grand Voyager. Really a great car.
 Fiat and Chrysler are one�. - Avant
It's not for the first time that Chrysler have had to pull out.

In about 1978 Chrysler tried to inflict its brand name on the UK, ditching the well-known Hillman, Humber, Singer and Sunbeam brands with predictably disastrous results. A few years later Chryslers were equally ineffectively rebranded Talbots.

This time Fiat would have had better luck if they'd brought back the Lancia brand instead of Chrysler: the rusty Betas of the 1970s were long enough ago. And there were some good memories, such as the Fulvia HF, the Delta Integrale and above all the lovely late 1930s Aprilia.

Chrysler will never succeed as a brand in the UK. Sadly, each time this has been an example of men in suits not listening to customers.
 Fiat is one and Chrysler is zero - WillDeBeest
There was a presentable young couple at the butchers when I was the other Saturday. With them was a small boy of about three. At one point he made a token break for the open door and his mother called after him...

..."Talbot!"

Yes, really. I hope he has a middle name he can use instead, something less embarrassing. Adolf, perhaps. Or Sarah.
 Fiat is one and Chrysler is zero - Avant
Perhaps his father is restoring an Alpine.....no, surely not. You just wouldn't.

I heard of an unfortunate baby whose initials were MGB for that same reason - a good thing it wasn't an Armstrong-Siddeley.
 Fiat is one and Chrysler is zero - Ted

That never occurred to me Avant. Just thinking, my littlest grandson's first initials are JJ. I wonder if his Dad's hoping to inherit the Jowett Javelin ?
 Fiat is one and Chrysler is zero - No FM2R
>>a good thing it wasn't an Armstrong-Siddeley.

Or Austin Healey.

Oh.
Latest Forum Posts