Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz C-Class W204 - C220CDI or C250 petrol? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 12

Mercedes Benz C-Class W204 - C220CDI or C250 petrol? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Howdy. I'm eyeing up a 2008 or 2009 C-class - am at the preliminary man-maths stage. Any known major issues, or bad feedback from owners/drivers?

The C220CDI is most prevalent on used car lots here. I'd actually prefer a petrol C200 or C250, but not too fussed either way if the right car turns up at the right price. All of the ones I've identified have 40-50,000 miles on the clock.

For slightly less cash, I've also spotted a base spec 2008 BMW 320d with similar miles. Might be a better car?
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W204 - C220CDI or C250 petrol? - PeterS
Just a few observations from me - my local dealer uses C180s as courtesy cars. I think the petrol engine suits the car very well, so I'd go with your instinct and look for one of them. I didn't think the C180 feels underpowered for the type of car (the courtesy cars are auto of course) so wouldn't rule one of them out. The other thing is that the C facelift was face lifted - I think around 2009/10 - and the interior of it is much nicer post facelift. Whether you think the BMW is a better car depends on your priorities I think - they've both very good, but different if you see what I mean. I find the C class a more relaxing and refined car (in petrol form - the diesel is noticeably noiser), with the BMW having a slight bias to handling over over ride. I think the BMW diesel engine is a better installation than the MB one from a refinement perspective, though it manages to sound worse from the outside! Just my thoughts...
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W204 - C220CDI or C250 petrol? - Duncan
I think it was in 2009 that MB brought in the 7 character postcode facility - up from 5 character - in the UK, on the COMAND sat nav.

What sort of postcodes do you have in NZ?
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W204 - C220CDI or C250 petrol? - ToMoCo
I am completely at a loss these days with BMW and Merc model designation numbers.

I just tried looking on autotrader for some figures about the C250 expecting it to have a 2.5l 6 pot, but no, it's a 1.8!?! WTF? Still some decent performance out of it though.
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W204 - C220CDI or C250 petrol? - rtj70
But a 1.8 super or turbo charged engine surely. The various low end diesels are all 2.1l engines in various forms of tune so could be a 220 or a 250 model.
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W204 - C220CDI or C250 petrol? - Boxsterboy
Yes, our friends have just got a CLS 250 CDI Sportback ... with a 2.1l engine. Nice looking car, though.
>> But a 1.8 super or turbo charged engine surely. The various low end diesels are
>> all 2.1l engines in various forms of tune so could be a 220 or a
>> 250 model.
>>

Steady on the low end - in some markets the S class has the 250cdi engine...

www.topspeed.com/cars/mercedes/2011-mercedes-s250-cdi-blueefficiency-ar97420.html

:-)
It's a 1.8 turbo 4 with, I think, around 200PS - in line with the 250 CDi (which is a 2.1 litre engine). It's a shame designation and actual capacity have diverged so much, but I guess with forced induction and smaller engines how else to you maintain a pecking order ;-)
4-digit postcodes in NZ, but SatNav is irrelevant really because there are so few roads (outside of Auckland).

The 2008 C250 I've seen advertised (at a Ford dealers) is claiming to be a V6....

Rented a C180 Kompressor for a week about 5 years ago - was well impressed by it's smooth but rapid progress. A 1.6 apparently?
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W204 - C220CDI or C250 petrol? - Bill Payer
>>
>> The 2008 C250 I've seen advertised (at a Ford dealers) is claiming to be a
>> V6....
>>

These things get very confusing at the best of times, and of course cars specs are adjusted for local markets, but it may well have the 3 litre V6 petrol engine which would have aligned it with 3 litre straight six in the BMW 325i.

It does look like the current C250 in NZ has the 4cyl 1.8 petrol though, so it's a bit odd that they'd have kept the same model designation.
>> These things get very confusing at the best of times, and of course cars specs
>> are adjusted for local markets, but it may well have the 3 litre V6 petrol
>> engine which would have aligned it with 3 litre straight six in the BMW 325i.
>>

I'm not sure that it was ever available in the UK, but it seems as if there was an entry level 2.5 V6 C230 available in some markets, later badged as a C250, which had 204PS. The 1.8 turbo C250 CGI also has 204PS and seems to have replaced the V6 in 2009, so if the OP is looking at an early '09 car it could have either engine I'd have thought.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_C-Class

Last edited by: PeterS on Fri 10 Jan 14 at 18:24
Well, it might be ignorance, but the seller has advertised it as a 2.5 V6:

tinyurl.com/mvot37w

Too far to go for a preliminary viewing, maybe at the end of the month. It won't get sold in a hurry.
 Mercedes Benz C-Class W204 - C220CDI or C250 petrol? - Bill Payer
>> I'm not sure that it was ever available in the UK, but it seems as
>> if there was an entry level 2.5 V6 C230 available in some markets, later badged
>> as a C250, which had 204PS.
>>
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_C-Class
>>

Interesting - I didn't know there had been a 2.5L version of the curent V6.
Latest Forum Posts