Motoring Discussion > Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 49

Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - rtj70
Anyone have a recent experience of car hire from Malaga Airport?

I saw that Holiday Auto had a deal today for Spain (20% off) and a Golf or similar was £16 for the week. But there will be a fuel charge on top of that of at least €120 or so (non refundable) and the website is now having problems anyway.

Reading online reviews the companies used are rated well by some and yet others have had poor experience. I'm talking about the actual hire companies as well as the brokers.

I hadn't realised until today that Holiday Auto had been sold last summer by LastMinute.com either. Brand etc sold (not the business itself) to Car Trawler which has other brands.

Lastminute.com and Monarch both use Holiday Auto so they can't be terrible. The majority of reviews that are negative relate to the fuel charge - get the car full and return empty which they didn't know about.

Thanks
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - Roger.
www.brunoscarlastminute.com/

Brunos cars are run by nice Swedish people.
Their original offices (in Puerto de la Duquesa) are about five minutes drive from where we used to live, but they do operate from AGP, too.
They were a reliable bunch and we used them occasionally when our car was in for service.

Three seems to be a lot of adverse comment on expat. forums about Niza Cars - questions about retaining deposits, I think.
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - bathtub tom
I had tremendous problems with Holiday Auto a couple of years ago. No car when I arrived at airport around 10:00 pm. Atesa was the hire company. This was after Last minute had flogged Holiday Auto.

I'd recommend hiring direct from somewhere local!
Thanks for replies so far.

I hired from Holiday Auto once (might have been twice?)..... and got a Hertz hire car and it was written off within an hour. Holiday Auto (the original company) paid up to cover the excess quite quickly. The current Holiday Auto is Car Trawler as they bought the brand, website/domain, the B2B links, etc.

I'll check out the link from Roger - I thought this was your neck of the woods. If you were willing, I might like to send an email with some questions about some areas an hour from Spain which you might know?

I'd read a few posts about Niza. I'd got a feeling £16 for a Golf sized car was too cheap and read lots and found the fuel charge is the reason they cover costs. How many people pick up a car and only do low miles - a lot I guess. And there's a higher price for fuel than you'd expect.

I did see that Goldcar Rentals (who also have a lot of negative posts!) now refund unused fuel. And offer a breakdown of fuel/admin. They have a web only deal for either an Audi A1 Sportback or Mini for €36 for seven days. Again seems cheap. Fuel is charged but they have a link on their page for how it works and refund unused fuel apparently.

www.goldcar.es/en/fuel/
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 13 Jan 14 at 23:52
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - Armel Coussine
We hired a car in Spain at some airport or other, booked online in advance, charming young Germans running the firm, no problems whatsoever, car OK, cost as promised...
Who did you book with and when? Spain seems to now have a lot of hire companies charging for full out empty return for fuel.... which is impossible. I think it's a recent change.
Just looked at the link to Bruno's.... cost per day is more than some others claim per week! And even with the 'hidden' fuel charge (if you used none) the others are cheaper. As I said above, Goldcar rentals have a deal for €36 for a week for an A1/Mini. Okay there's the fuel charges on top and I'd take out excess insurance elsewhere.
What's the problem with the full tank/empty tank thing? Can't people calculate and try to return the car with the low level light showing? It's not that difficult.
If you pick up a car and drive little and assume if you rerurn it full you pay nothing extra.... then that might be a problem for you. And many won't venture that far especially if a short trip. There used to be a system where you were charged when you got back. Now they charge up front.

I will probably do quite a bit of driving so the fuel charge is not a worry. A good hire company to use on the other hand without paying over the odds is what I am after.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 14 Jan 14 at 00:39
Ah, right. I don't think I'd hire a car willingly just to put 20 or 30 miles on it. Taxis would be less hassle.

Hire cars are for redlining in every gear and seeing if they will hold 160 kph on the flat, aren't they? Our Punto stood up to it, and would just hold 100mph on the flat. The nice young Germans didn't give a damn about a graunched wheel trim I owned up to and clearly regarded cars as throwaway items. Most refreshing I thought.

Come to think of it they did try to charge us full rate when the time came to pay and leave. But we had the bit of bumf which trumped them. They were cool about it, charming.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 14 Jan 14 at 00:57
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - Meldrew
Not everybody wants to drive 500+ miles on holiday!
>> Not everybody wants to drive 500+ miles on holiday!

and that's how these really cheap deals aren't. They are making money on the fuel and the fuel admin charge. We will do a fair bit of driving next month when visiting Andalucia but I doubt we will use a full tank of fuel.
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - Bromptonaut
We used Holiday Autos for a trip to Majorca last October.

The first thing to remember is they're not a hire company but an agent or consolidator. What you get therefore depends on the company they use at your destination. In our case it was a firm called Centauro and the experience was good.

Things to be aware of are firstly that most hires are fuel full to empty and you pay a premium price for that first full tank. For reasons I did not fully understand the agent offered us a full/full deal and I seized it with both hands!. The second is that in spite of on screen promises of 'full' insurance there is a hefty deposit for damage the actually rather less than full insurance does not cover eg overhead damage, tyres and the sort of 'undercarriage' damage that might occur in an excursion into the ditch. We bought a waiver for that at around E30. Another hirer off the same flight was getting very fraught trying to find, between him and his wife, a credit card with enough available to cover the E600 deposit.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 14 Jan 14 at 09:05
I've used the original Holiday Auto before - but wasn't sure what sort of companies they might used these days now they are just a trading name of Car Trawler. As you say most hire companies in Spain seem to do the full/empty style contracts for car hire.

I did know about the deposit on the credit card - I'll probably take out my own insurance to cover excess before I travel. It's clear they make their actual money on the sale of the fuel/fuel admin fee, insurance, etc.

I was going to book the cheap deal with HA to then see what car company they allocated it to... Could always cancel. At the point of being about to book the website went a bit wrong... now only shows 7 car types available. I have also found that the Monarch site (they use HA) shows the car company.... so only Centauro seems to appear in the list at the moment.
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - CGNorwich
How on earth do they manage to rent a car for EUR36 a week?
>> How on earth do they manage to rent a car for EUR36 a week?

Because they add on a fuel admin type charge of around €20. Then the fuel is over-priced for the full tank and most don't refund unused fuel so they sell the fuel over and over again. And then the hard sell for the extra insurance.

They get you to book a cheap hire car. Then whilst at the desk at the holiday destination you are asked to pay a lot more and most (all?) will because you've not got a real choice if you want the car. The deposit thing is a bit worrying - a pre-charge against a credit car is understandable but not if they actually charge you.... and then some companies seem to fail to give it back!
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - CGNorwich
Have just booked a car for a couple of weeks in the Canaries with Cicar, a reliable local firm. EUR 135 a week all in for a Fiesta which seems a very fair rate to me. have used them before and absolutely no hassle. I suppose in the end you get what you pay for.
Found out which hire company Holiday Auto would use for the cheaper cars. They will be clapped out and there will be little service from the hire company. Which is why I amongst others was sceptical about how you make money on these.

One company I found mentioned a deal (now gone) for either a MINI or Audi A1 Sportback.... I wonder if the MINI was in fact a Morris Mini and that's what you'd get :-)
>> Found out which hire company Holiday Auto would use for the cheaper cars. They will
>> be clapped out and there will be little service from the hire company. Which is
>> why I amongst others was sceptical about how you make money on these.

Presumably that's not Centauro? Thee cars they had at Palma in October were newish, maybe 3yrs old, and a mix of Hyundai, Ford etc. Well run in but everything on our i30 worked including the electric seat adjustment.

I didn't actually like the car that much but that's a judgement on the i30, not the hire co.
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - No FM2R
My preference is to hire a cheap, clapped out pile of junk. I'm on holiday, I am unlikely to be driving very much and the last thing I want to do is worry about where I park the thing.
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - bathtub tom
>>My preference is to hire a cheap, clapped out pile of junk. I'm on holiday

I did that once on Majorca. Unfortunately it rained and when I turned the wipers on the fuse blew!
It was raining, why weren't you in a bar? Reckless behaviour.
The cheaper deals which were on their website yesterday (and vanished so a problem) were from Marbesol which has a terrible reputation. The price on the website is not what you really pay. The cars sound terrible and unless you take out their tyre insurance they charge €800 to your credit card (actually charge it not pre-authorise). It then takes weeks to get back the €800.

Before being sceptical about the cheaper deals on Holiday Auto, I'd assumed they still used the bigger companies for hire cars (they probably use them as well).... not everywhere it seems.

More research needed.... last time I used a broker (Holiday Auto) I got a decent car from Hertz at a fair price.

And to answer FM2R about not driving too much... if you had to pay €90-100 for a full tank of fuel in a clapped out car and then didn't use it, you might not be so happy when you don't get any of that back. And they charge that sort of money for cars with small fuel tanks. The bigger the fuel tank the more they charge!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 14 Jan 14 at 15:13
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - Zero
I have used holiday autos all over Europe, before they were sold admittedly, but never had any issues with them.

I shall be off to alicante in May, and hiring a car for airport pickup. The last time I hired abroad (Sicily) i used Easy Jet - when booked with the flight, the car hire (Hertz as it turns out) was as cheap as Holiday Autos. And there was none of this fuel silliness either. I was offered the choice of pay for the tank up front, or bring it back full.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 14 Jan 14 at 19:03
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - Roger.
@ rtj70 Feel free to ask about the Western Costa del Sol (except Benalmadena, Fuengirola or Terrormolinos!).
I don't mind a direct email to landsker "at" gmail.com !
Thanks Roger. We won't be going to those three places. Staying on Lake Iznajar this trip. First time to the area.
Zero, We used Holiday Auto before the sale. But they had sold us a contract with a decent hit company. Still looking into this.

And it's not as if the original company exists anymore. It is now a front to Car Trawler alongside other brands/sites.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 14 Jan 14 at 20:21
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - mikeyb
Last time I hired for pleasure in Spain I used www.doyouspain.com

They are an agent and the car was supplied by Sixt. Full tank out / full back to
>>And to answer FM2R about not driving too much... if you had to pay €90-100 for a full tank of fuel in a clapped out car and then didn't use it,..............

Absolutely. Which is why I somehow pre-arrange my trip from the airport to wherever I am staying (I detest hassle), and then the next morning go for a mooch and see what I can find. I don't think that I have ever failed to acquire some jalopy from some local supplier for naff all down and naff all per day without any of the silly excess, petrol or anything else clauses the international firms use.

The last one I used offered no assurances about what was in the tank when I hired it, and had no intention of checking what was in the tank when I gave it back. .
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 14 Jan 14 at 21:53
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - Runfer D'Hills
Seconded Mark, I do the same when paying my own bill. If I'm charging it then I'll just book a Europcar or Avis or whatever ( which are often not too steamy actually ). But if it's for private use I'll stump for a taxi or catch a bus from the airport and then ask around the following day.

I got an old Suzuki Vitara soft top in Cyprus from a local garage who hired out a couple of the things for €20 a day each about 7 years ago, went back to the same place 2 years ago and got the same car ( aye exactly the same car ) at the same rate. The guy didn't mind it being taken offroad. Which was just as well really...

Talking of airport transfers, I got the bus into NY from JFK one evening before Christmas. It was packed but with a jolly bunch of passengers. That was of course later in UK time. They seemed to enjoy me facetiming my dog to get him to come in from the back garden. My wife was having trouble getting him to come inside and we hit on the idea that if I "spoke" to him he might obey. The whole bus was calling to him. One of us/them managed to persuade him anyway !
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - Runfer D'Hills
Actually, I quite enjoyed bashing around in that old Vitara soft top. I sometimes think I'd not mind getting one to keep here. It was only a 1.6 petrol but it was remarkably capable off road and at least adequate on.

There was something refreshing about the agricultural simplicity of it. Two clips to chuck the roof back and away you go.

They're cheap as anything now too but one would always suspect that it might give off an air of being an unsuccessful hairdresser somehow.
I have done that, hired a 7 year old fiat punto in Crete that had 80k very hard km on its clock, but it was hugely capable and impressive for one that had been so abused.
When we were in Crete I got a fair deal from a local company which was all in, paid cash so no deposit or anything on a credit card etc. But this time we're not only travelling about a fair bit but also have a fair distance to travel from the airport so a taxi would probably cost as much as a hire car for the week.

Thanks for all who have suggested a few places/agents to try. I'm happy to pay a decent amount if I know the car is going to be okay and you're not going to get stitched up. So sounds like I will use one of the major suppliers. Via a broker would be cheaper but you don't necessarily know what company it will be via the websites.

I did try telling Holiday Auto yesterday that their website had a major problem (not showing cars apart from those by Centauro) and they didn't seem to grasp it. They said they must all be booked. When I tried to tell them they were an broker who worked with many companies and this couldn't be the case across the example dates and locations I tried they said they'd get it looked into ;-) This morning they had no cars showing online. A drink party in a brewery springs to mind.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 15 Jan 14 at 09:50
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - FocalPoint
"Anyone have a recent experience of car hire from Malaga Airport?"

I strongly urge you to get into TripAdvisor's forums and ask the question there - or possibly find it's been answered already.

E.g. from the Malaga Forum:
Post dated 13/01/14 recommends Malagacar.com but others not happy
Various recent posts giving Goldcars VERY mixed reviews
Similar for Niza/Nisa cars
Firefly (formerly Advantage) also
Etc.

Personally, I wouldn't hire from any company that didn't have a desk at the airport (especially if my flight meant a late arrival). I would also avoid brokers. If possible, I avoid companies with the full-to-empty fuel policy.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Wed 15 Jan 14 at 11:24
I'd looked at reviews on TA before asking here. As you say mixed reviews for Goldcars. Terrible feedback for Marbesol. The thing with most broker sites is you don't know the hire company until you book. For the cheaper deals on HA (and therefore the sister Car Trawler sites) I've worked out they are mostly Marbesol. I also figured out looking at HA hire deals via Monarch actually lists the hire companies whereas the main site does not.

Apart from Marbesol which sounds like one to avoid, many mixed reviews and was after some first hand (trusted) feedback. Goldcars for example now refund unused fuel for the full/empty hires for example. At least when booked via their website. They also have a category of car (group T) which claims to be a Golf, Audi A3 or a Guiletta. They tell me those are the only cars in that group and no car is older than 2 years old.... could still be a clapped out car.

Referring back to a company like Marbesol, they claim to offer say a Golf or equivalent for not much money. But of course this could end up being a 7 year old Focus I guess with dents all over. Worst is if they claim you damaged it. They charge for the days off road for repairs (which they clearly don't do) even if you taken out their full insurance package! At €35 per day. And reserve the right to hold you responsible up to the full value of a vehicle. It's in the small print.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 15 Jan 14 at 14:54
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - Alanovich
I rented from Goldcar at Almeria airport 3 years ago. Having booked a Citroen Berlingo or similar online before flying, I expected a knackered old nail but I got a brand new VW Caddy MPV, with the then-new 1.6 TDi engine.

It was brilliant and the service I got form them was exactly as required, including a faultless late pick up of the car as we landed near midnight.
Tsk. Just hire a jalopy FFS rtj... what's a couple of Euros here or there to a well-heeled Inglés like you?

Will you be griping internally about the bad deal you got on your clapped-out but still brave Punto as you gaze on masterpieces of classical Saracen art and architecture? Will the sense of having been taken advantage of spoil the taste of your tapas? If you allow these things to happen they will spoil your trip.
In response to AC :-)

I'm looking into cost effective car hire companies partly because we might go a fair bit this year and next. It all adds up. Goldcar is the one I'm wondering about only because the reviews are mixed. I thought others might find it interesting what I'd unearthed about the one company - Marbesol. Not many good things to be said about them.
>> In response to AC :-)
>>
>> I'm looking into cost effective car hire companies partly because we might go a fair
>> bit this year and next. It all adds up. Goldcar is the one I'm wondering
>> about only because the reviews are mixed. I thought others might find it interesting what
>> I'd unearthed about the one company - Marbesol. Not many good things to be said
>> about them.

Lot of Goldcar vehicles on Majorca - all looked OK and seemed to be running. One of the problems with feedback is that those with negative views are far more likely to post than those who were satisfied or even overjoyed.
Thanks Bromptonaut. I did email to ask them about what cars were really in their Group T as it listed three and added 'or similar'. I got a response within minutes to that query and told it was just those three. Then I replied with a question about age and they said no older than two years old - again within minutes if that is a measure of them responding to problems too.

So if I was offered a two year old Golf, A3 or Giulietta and it was mechanically sound I think I'd be happy. Although veering towards Sixt or one of the other bigger companies. Sorry AC.
I know nobody cares who I booked with. But Hertz has a 33% discount offer on until the end of March.

Another offer... Lexus IS 300h SE comes with a free sat nav upgrade worth £1995 if ordered before the end of March 2014 and does not get added to the list price. Useful in not increase BIK rate.... might test drive one.... Probably hate the CVT hybrid thing but you never know.
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - Crankcase
If you don't hate the drive, you'll probably hate the satnav.

Have a go at putting in a seven character postcode, assuming you can actually find wheere you're supposed to, and then ask how much it costs again.
Thanks for the feedback Crankcase. I'll see for myself. And it's got that fiddly joystick/mouse thing to control it. Sounds like the sat nav package as far as sat nav goes is not great.

The one in the other car (not driven yet either but then I can't get it until September at the earliest) is from TomTom - i.e. in the Mazda6.
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - stephan
8< snip. Post removed as it falls foul of our naming/shaming policy.

www.car4play.com/terms/nameandshame.htm

OP, if you wish to re-write your post, please bear in mind the above. Thanks.

ps, I do have a copy of your original post if you require it for editing purposes. Email me and I'll send it to you
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jul 15 at 01:03
You demonstrate why I was right to hire from Hertz last year. The cheaper companies makes their profit in two ways for sure: (1) you get a full tank of fuel and return it empty but you're never going to return it empty and (2) they sell expensive insurance and try their best to force you to take it. They will often charge your credit card for a large excess (not-precharge) and possibly not return it.

I'd looked at using Holiday Auto as I'd used them in the past but they have changed owner. Some of the companies would claim you could get a Golf or equivalent for £16 a week! So I didn't quite believe that.

In the end I got a brand new Corsa for a week for about £60 via Hertz. No problems with pickup (the other companies that were the cheaper ones had long queues), car was on site at the airport and it was quick and easy to return it. And I just used my 12 month car hire insurance cover instead of taking out their cover for excess.
>> You demonstrate why I was right to hire from Hertz last year. The cheaper companies
>> makes their profit in two ways for sure: (1) you get a full tank of
>> fuel and return it empty but you're never going to return it empty and (2)
>> they sell expensive insurance and try their best to force you to take it. They
>> will often charge your credit card for a large excess (not-precharge) and possibly not return
>> it.

I hired a Nissan Juke at Allicante through Holiday Autos last month. I chose Centauro as I have used them before. Yes it came with a full tank and it went back with about 10 litres in. No big deal really. They offered CDW I declined, no more was said. They added a pre charge €900 - i entered my pin but it never appeared on my bill.

>> In the end I got a brand new Corsa for a week for about £60

I got a brand new top spec nissan juke for about £55 for a week. Not Hertz
>> No problems with pickup (the other companies that were the cheaper ones had

>> long queues), car was on site at the airport and it was quick and easy
>> to return it.

the queue for my hire company was shorter than the Hertz one, and the car was on site.
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - Bill Payer
Those weekly rates seem very low - does it make that much difference just being slightly outside the school holidays?

Daughter has a Fiesta size car in Malaga next week and it's around £150 for the week. Fairly low excess though (which she's insured for anyway) and fuel policy is bring it back approx the same.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Mon 20 Jul 15 at 12:10
>> Those weekly rates seem very low - does it make that much difference just being
>> slightly outside the school holidays?

Oh yes very much so. I can't get any car for August in Alicante under any terms for under 100 quid.

Ditto Flights. at least three times the price.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 20 Jul 15 at 13:24
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - mikeyb
I'm of to Alicante in about 3 weeks. Yes, its more expensive in August.......a lot more.

Managed to get a Fiesta for about £160 for 12 days, and I paid a few quid extra to avoid scamming fuel policy along with a priority pick up, so hopefully no waiting about. Getting it from Record, but booked direct as it was cheaper.

Flights were not actually to bad - flying BA from Gatwick and paid about £120 each return on a hand baggage only fare - booked almost a year ago when they were first released. £350 each if I booked today
 Car Hire Recommendations - Malaga Airport - smokie
I've been looking at Europe hotels for Sept, cheapish ones. hotels.com and booking.com don't seem to have adjusted too much with the cheaper Euro. One place I am looking at is £123 (about €170) for 3 nights thru hotels.com and only €45 pn if booked direct.
Latest Forum Posts