Motoring Discussion > Best time to buy at auction Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 14

Best time to buy at auction - legacylad
Prices on convertibles, will, I assume, always firm up in Spring. But what about other cars? Is there a higher volume going through the auctions immediately after new reg plates? And if so, would that depress prices?
I am wondering whether to try and source something at auction now, or wait a few months until the next plate. Any advice please.
 Best time to buy at auction - Runfer D'Hills
I suppose the best time is immediately pre-Christmas when prices of most cars are at their lowest. Otherwise the more obviously seasonality you mention is, at least, an influence.

As for other thoughts, I'd guess the best time to go on a personal level is when you don't "need" to buy but would be prepared to if the right vehicle came up at a price you were happy to pay.

A friend buys all his personal and family cars at auction but he is very specific about what he's shopping for, how much he's prepared tp pay and seems quite disciplined about that which must be a good way to approach it.
I have bought at auction before, but on this occasion I am being very specific, so shall use the services of a professional 'buyer'. The specification I require may not be available, but this gives me the best opportunity of finding the desired vehicle.
 Best time to buy at auction - Runfer D'Hills
What have you decided to go for?
3 series Touring. I really liked the 3 series GT, but too new to have depreciated sufficiently for my budget. And its higher centre of gravity means that the handling is not quite up to the standards of the saloon/estate, according to the road tests.
 Best time to buy at auction - Duncan
>> I have bought at auction before, but on this occasion I am being very specific,
>>

Are you going to tell us what you are looking for?
 Best time to buy at auction - Westpig
>> I suppose the best time is immediately pre-Christmas when prices of most cars are at
>> their lowest.

I used to think that RDH...but it's not necessarily so.

Pre-Christmas is a dealer's slow down period....so they stock up for January when people start buying again....so an auction can be quite busy with trade buyers (which pushes the sale prices up), albeit they are expecting to have to wait until January to sell them.

Best time to buy at auction - Armel Coussine
I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an auction. I'm as bad as my mother or even worse, and believe me that's saying something. Still got one or two of her random bargains knocking about.

I'd love to have the money to ask a professional buyer to find me a decent Alfa 166, no price limit. There must still be a few around.
 Best time to buy at auction - Robin O'Reliant
>> I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an auction.
>>

Me neither.

My competitive instinct would take over and I'd go into "I'm not going to lose" mode.
 Best time to buy at auction - MD
Been there, done that. Land auction twas too. Never again.
 Best time to buy at auction - madf
>> >> I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an auction.
>> >>
>>
>> Me neither.
>>
>> My competitive instinct would take over and I'd go into "I'm not going to lose"
>> mode.
>>

Try living in Aberdeen. It will soon treat you to be nasty, mean and count every penny :-)
 Best time to buy at auction - Dog
>>I'd love to have the money to ask a professional buyer to find me a decent Alfa 166, no price limit. There must still be a few around.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-166-2-0-TWIN-SPARK-FACELIFT-2004-81000-MILES-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-/181297310004?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a36296934
 Best time to buy at auction - Fenlander
>>>>>I'd love to have the money to ask a professional buyer to find me a decent Alfa 166, no price limit. There must still be a few around.

>>>>www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-166-2-0-TWIN-SPARK-FACELIFT-2004-810
00-MILES-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-/181297310004?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item
2a36296934

Despite the minor bump history that looks so nice.... but then I would say that.

By chance the week I bought my 156 I met an uncle I only see every few years and he reminded me his son had just sold a 166 V6 after around 10yrs from new.... a company car then passed to his wife as the school run car. They were well placed to run a £20k second car but found it hard to give up the 166.

Here is one for AC... private sale, looks immac and with history... under £1000. Beige/cream leather too. Very nice.... if it were diesel I might even look as the boot/back seat size would give me almost as much room as a 156 estate.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201401090919792
 Best time to buy at auction - Armel Coussine
>> one for AC... private sale, looks immac and with history... under £1000.

That one's very nice legacy and may be a terrific bargain. I know that twin cam engine is very lusty and solid. But I had my heart set on a 24v low-mileage example just longing to check in to Lombarda in the Grove for a bit of suspension tweaking... I'd really quite like that, pity it (probably) isn't going to happen.
 Best time to buy at auction - Dave_
Convertibles are cheaper in November, 4x4s in May. Otherwise models that are just about to be superceded will go for lower prices.

We definitely deliver more new lease cars in March and September than other months, so it follows that the off-lease ones will saturate the market more at those times. Only around half the return cars are exactly 3 years old though, many seem to be on longer contracts judging by the number of 58, 09 and 59 platers I see arriving in auction compounds at the moment.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Fri 17 Jan 14 at 00:17
Latest Forum Posts