Motoring Discussion > i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 20

i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - RattleandSmoke
My father has just taken the i10 in for its second service. The gearbox has been getting a little whiny so he asked them to check it out. It turns out there is a leak in one of the gaskets where it joins onto the engine, it is a gearbox out job but all under warranty. My friend had the exact same problem with his Panda, is this a common issue?

Also they say it needs a new wiper blade and a new tyre, I will fit the wiper blade (rear) and we will also source the tyre locally far cheaper.

I am just surprised that this gearbox seal seems to be a common problem? Anybody else had that?

Other than that, the 13000 miles it has done have been fault free but I still much prefer driving the Panda as all the controls have a better feel and the interior plastics are harder wearing and better quality. Still we cannot fault it for the £6500 my parents for it brand new, 86bhp engine, electric windows, central locking, aircon, USB ports etc etc and it still has five years warranty remaining.

i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - Robin O'Reliant
I don't think you can describe two instances as a common problem.

It would come under coincidence.
 i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - Manatee
>> I don't think you can describe two instances as a common problem.
>>
>> It would come under coincidence.

Especially as one failure was on an i10 and the other on a Panda. Our Panda has been OK (2005, 50,000 miles)
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 16 Jan 14 at 18:48
 i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - Victorbox
If the gearbox is whining due to low oil level then changing the gasket and topping up won't get rid of the noise as the damage has already been done.
 i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - bathtub tom
>>there is a leak in one of the gaskets where it joins onto the engine

I don't understand that statement. Where would there be a gasket holding back gearbox oil from the engine?
I only got that second hand, seen the actual service report now and it says

"Gearbox oil leak caused by cracked gearbox casing"

I assume that means a new gearbox.
 i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - Boxsterboy
Yes, that is a little more serious! I wonder what caused the casing to crack? Manufacturing defect or owner abuse? Either way, running without oil won't have the internals of the gearbox any favours, so a new gearbox is good news.
I can't see how owner abuse can come into really, if a stone hit surely a gearbox casing should be strong enough to withstand that? Certainly hasn't been raced down any bumps!.

The wine is not that bad, I just thought it was worth mentioning as it was more than what I considered normal for such a low mileage car. Either way it is going to be covered under warranty.

i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - Boxsterboy
>> I can't see how owner abuse can come into really, if a stone hit surely
>> a gearbox casing should be strong enough to withstand that? Certainly hasn't been raced down
>> any bumps!.
>>

Racing over bumps was precisely the owner abuse I had in mind!
Last edited by: Boxsterboy on Thu 16 Jan 14 at 22:36
 i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - Old Navy
>> >>there is a leak in one of the gaskets where it joins onto the engine
>>
>> I don't understand that statement. Where would there be a gasket holding back gearbox oil
>> from the engine?
>>

Sounds like main dealer speak for "It is far too technical for a mere customer to understand the real problem". Or "We have not got a clue what is wrong but this sounds good".
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Thu 16 Jan 14 at 19:45
 i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - BobbyG
The main dealer doing work on my gearbox spelt the end for it................

Hope you fair better - word of advice when you get it back, get someone to visually check it over that there is nothing untoward like they have severed the bolt that goes into the casing and tried to cover it up....
 i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - Avant
"The wine is not that bad...." (Rattle, above)

"Could you have a look at my Hyundai - it keeps going plonk." :)
 i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - Mike H
>> Also they say it needs a new wiper blade and a new tyre,
>>
I'd be wondering why it needs "a" new tyre, and not "a pair of". Must be something wrong for just one tyre to wear :-s
Sorry only got two hours sleep last night, but that is for another thread (problems with neighbours).

I should have mentioned the tyre has a slow puncture is according to them beyond repair. They are semi low profile and there are so many pot holes etc here it is not surprising.

i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - Ted

In fact, not are there only plenty of potholes round here....there is a speedbump by the Vauxhall dealers with potholes on the top of it !

HO
 i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - Zero
we have a speed bump round here with a big hole behind it. Locally we call it Beechers Brook.
 i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - slowdown avenue
you would expect to see oil on the ground where you park the car.
Car is back today, new gear box fitted. I had mentioned last week the last time I went in it that it seemed a bit bouncy. I checked the shocks and springs which were all fine but noticed the bushes had split. How did they not notice this when it was serviced last week?

Anyway my dad mentioned it yesterday and they replied "they don't last five minutes on the i10" anyway they replaced them under warranty and handling is so much better.

So far in the build quality stakes the Panda is looking to be the better car but we can't really fault the service from Hyundai.
 i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - Cliff Pope
I don't think 13,000 miles is enough to come to any conclusions, other than this particular car seems to have been a faulty one.

Report back when it has done 200,000 miles and we can advise whether it seems worth keeping long-term.
At 200,000 I think age would have killed it by then! I am not surprised about the bushes really, my dads Fiesta used to fail the MOT on them every year, the roads round here are all Victorian/Edwardian and have not really been rebuilt properly since. Just a coat of tarmac which falls to pieces. In fact by 200,000 there is a good chance my dad won't be driving any more.

i10 - 13,000 miles 2 years second service - Duncan
>> At 200,000 I think age would have killed it by then! I am not surprised
>> about the bushes really, my dads Fiesta used to fail the MOT on them every
>> year, the roads round here are all Victorian/Edwardian and have not really been rebuilt properly
>> since. Just a coat of tarmac which falls to pieces. In fact by 200,000 there
>> is a good chance my dad won't be driving any more.

I think he was being ironic.
Latest Forum Posts