Motoring Discussion > New set of Hankook tyres Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 20

New set of Hankook tyres - Falkirk Bairn
Son's car needed some new tyres - all 4. Previously had Dunlops but on this occasion he chose a "budget tyre" - Hankooks.

Dropped the car off and headed for a retail park - "allow an hour and the car will be ready" was the timing suggested by the desk.

30 mins later his phone rang, the car was ready....a bit early but he came to think of it as "Hankook's half hour"

I will get my coat.
 New set of Hankook tyres - Runfer D'Hills
I had Hankooks on my Westfield. Stuck like, well, very sticky stuff, to a blanket.
 New set of Hankook tyres - BobbyG
Hankooks are original fit on my Hyundai - they made in Korea by chance?
 New set of Hankook tyres - IJWS14
Hankooks original fit on her Fiesta.
 New set of Hankook tyres - Auristocrat
Also seen Hankooks on Mondeos as OE.

Both Hankook and Kumho are Korean manufacturers. We have Kumho on our Hyundai.
 New set of Hankook tyres - Stuartli
Hankook have had a lot of input from Michelin over recent years and, yes, Ford have fitted them as OEM equipment to the Mondeo range in the past.

Michelin sold its 10 per cent shares stake in Hankook a couple of years ago:

www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/09/michelin-hankooktire-idUSL4E7M901Q20111109
 New set of Hankook tyres - VxFan
After seeing all the cracks in the rubber between the tread on a 2 year old Ford Transit Connect fitted with Hankooks, I wouldn't want to use them if the rubber perishes in that short space of time.
 New set of Hankook tyres - Old Navy
There will soon, if not already, be little that you can do without using Far Eastern kit. Chinese built Airbus aircraft, I believe Ryanair have some on order, BMW, Mercedes, and many other "European" manufacturers are building cars in China. Does anyone not own something made in the far East? They have built their entire high speed rail system (1.600 miles of it) while we have been thinking about 100 miles worth. Times have already changed.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Mon 20 Jan 14 at 08:01
 New set of Hankook tyres - Zero

>> They have built their entire high speed rail system (1.600
>> miles of it) while we have been thinking about 100 miles worth. Times have already
>> changed.

And they tried to bury the evidence it was crap.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/8980879/China-bullet-train-crash-caused-by-design-flaws-and-sloppy-safety.html

The crash led to the much championed high-speed network being widely derided and it now faces a creditability crisis at home and abroad.
Since when do we and other western rail systems not have major accidents due to shoddy maintenance, operation, etc.
Since when do we try and bury - literally, with the dead bodies still hanging out of the carriage windows -the evidence of incompetence and corruption. They got the railway built because corners were cut and everything about it is shoddy. The infrastructure is starting to collapse already, the trains are unreliable, and they are no longer allowed to travel at max speed.

Also you conveniently seemed to forget that China is not a small tight little country, with little in the way of population in the way, and if it was it was forcibly relocated with no recompense. Environmental issues are not allowed to exist in China.

I suggest you pick a much better example, this is not a good one.

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 20 Jan 14 at 08:50
If you think we don't bury incompetence and corruption you are on the wrong planet.
whatever.

New set of Hankook tyres - CGNorwich
Its probably more correct to compare industrial expansion in China with our own industrial revolution rather than the present day .

Railways in the UK were built at break neck speed with little concern for safety or indeed the environment and incidents involving huge loss of life were common.
>> Its probably more correct to compare industrial expansion in China with our own industrial revolution
>> rather than the present day .
>>
>> Railways in the UK were built at break neck speed with little concern for safety
>> or indeed the environment and incidents involving huge loss of life were common.

When the rest of the world didn't have railways, and hence there was an export market as well thats a valid point.

However when the rest of the world wants to modernise with safe reliable hi tech railways, the Chinese example is not a good one.
 New set of Hankook tyres - Bromptonaut
>> Since when do we and other western rail systems not have major accidents due to
>> shoddy maintenance, operation, etc.

Sticking to the UK the last multiple fatality was at Ufton Nervet in 2004 - immediate cause was suicide by parking on a level crossing.

Last due to faulty maintenance was at Grayrigg Cumbria in Feb 2007 - 1 fatality. The last multiple fatality accident due to such a cause was at Potters Bar in 2002. The big one, that paralysed UK rail for months, was Hatfield - a cracked rail.

Recent coverage of the 25th anniversary of Kegworth suggested that was the last fatal involving a UK registered fixed wing machine in airline service. Not actually correct, that distinction fell to a Knightair Bandeirante that crashed in North Yorks shortly after take off from Leeds Bradford in May 1995.
 New set of Hankook tyres - jc2
BMW & DB(MB in UK) have been building in the Far East for years-most electronics-including Bosch-come from there.Please tell us who is selling Hankooks as a "budget" tyre and for what price.
Last edited by: jc2 on Mon 20 Jan 14 at 08:41
 New set of Hankook tyres - Dog
My Sub came shod with 4 x new Runway Enduro 816 (made in PRC), I'm a 'no expense spared' merchant but, in the 9 mumps I've had the jamjar they have perfomed well and, they'd soon be in the bin if I had any dowts about em.
 New set of Hankook tyres - Alanovich
Hankooks are not priced as budget tyres. They're mid-price. I had some on my Volvo 360, they were fine but that wasn't really a car for testing the limits of grip.
 New set of Hankook tyres - BobbyG
You serious??

I remember as a new driver , nipping down to the local shop to get some wine for its owner.
Spun it on a right angle turn in the wet and then discovered that the brakes were either on or off, no in between.

Was very sheepish handing the car back with 2 smashed bottles of red wine in it!!!
 New set of Hankook tyres - mattbod
Hankooks are good tyres and not what I would call budget anymore. Got quoted £350 for four for my Fabia VRS so had Avons fitted which are grippy, good value and made in the UK!
Latest Forum Posts