Motoring Discussion > annoying things you do in the car. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 32

annoying things you do in the car. - Zero
We all do it, surely? Something you do when driving the car, that was mildy amusing at first but with repeated exposure then annoys the passengers, and so gives you Raison d'ĂȘtre to keep on doing it.

Mine is when we pass a National Express coach, I start to sing a part of the National Express song:-

On the National Express there's a jolly hostess
Selling crisps and tea
She'll provide you with drinks and theatrical winks
For a sky-high fee
Mini-Skirts were in style when she danced down the aisle
Back in '63 (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
But it's hard to get by when your backside is the size
Of a small country

what do you do?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 May 14 at 02:15
 annoying things you do in the car. - Armel Coussine
Maintain a more or less incessant critical discourse - by no means always hostile and disapproving, but sometimes degenerating into floods of obscene polemic - on the roads, their condition and layout, and of course the conduct of other drivers good, bad or appalling.

These, along with every tiny nuance of the jalopy's behaviour and utterances, are subjects of endless fascination to me, but to few others. Am I a bore? Sometimes, alas.
 annoying things you do in the car. - Dog
Whenever I pass a Hymer I cross my arms* (while driving) for the simple reason I have owned one.
(and hated it)

*Like holding up a crucifix at a vampire.

:}
 annoying things you do in the car. - Boxsterboy
Fart
 annoying things you do in the car. - Runfer D'Hills
Yellow car game.
WTF is a Hymer Perro?
 annoying things you do in the car. - Duncan
>> WTF is a Hymer Perro?
>>

Motor caravan thingy. German, quite expensive.
Oooh, ah, Winnebago thingy, thanks Duncan.
You see motorhomes towing small cars don't you. Always thought they might have just bought a caravan and towed that with a normal car, but instead, they then have to not only buy a caravan with an engine but a small car to tow behind it. I think it's something to do with bottled gas exposure. Rots their brains I reckon.

All starts to make a jolly good case for hotels in the end. In most of them you don't have to empty your own toilet, other drivers don't hate you, you don't have to spend all your holidays in a field and you get to use your normal car.
 annoying things you do in the car. - Duncan
>> You see motorhomes towing small cars don't you. Always thought they might have just bought
>> a caravan and towed that with a normal car, but instead, they then have to
>> not only buy a caravan with an engine but a small car to tow behind
>> it. I think it's something to do with bottled gas exposure. Rots their brains I
>> reckon.
>>
>> All starts to make a jolly good case for hotels in the end. In most
>> of them you don't have to empty your own toilet, other drivers don't hate you,
>> you don't have to spend all your holidays in a field and you get to
>> use your normal car.
>>

But that isn't something annoying that you do in the car??
Trying to care, really I am.

;-)
 annoying things you do in the car. - BobbyG
Probably skipping music tracks if I don't fancy listening to the whole song, usually just as a passenger is enjoying that song.
 annoying things you do in the car. - WillDeBeest
I think it's something to do with bottled gas exposure.

That isn't the only gas caravanners are exposed to, as anyone can confirm who's been picnicking at a French motorway aire de repos when one of the blighted things has drawn up nearby. Sometimes it's been so bad we've chosen to surrender our table and sit on the grass rather than eat downwind of the thing.

If a dog owner is a human who likes to carry around a bag of another creature's poo, what do we think of one who'd spend a holiday next to a tankful of their own?
 annoying things you do in the car. - MD
Pookeepers
 annoying things you do in the car. - Old Navy
Pat?

Apologies in advance. :-)
 annoying things you do in the car. - R.P.
Re-tuning the radio from whatever to Radio 4
 annoying things you do in the car. - Old Navy
Or Classic FM.
 annoying things you do in the car. - bathtub tom
Turning off the radio at the first hint of James Blunt.

I don't wish the guy any harm, but he had to carry his guitar on the outside of his little tank. Couldn't one bit a shrapnel have destroyed it?
 annoying things you do in the car. - Crankcase
Use very feeble and tired cliches repeatedly.

Come on love, you can get a space shuttle though there.

What you waiting for Grandad, a written invitation?

Where did you get your licence, a Christmas Cracker?

Oh for the love of GOD.

And so forth. I must calm down.
 annoying things you do in the car. - R.P.
a written invitation?

I usually add - hand written on velum...
I rarely allow myself to be cross with anyone while driving. If I did, I'd just be cross most of the time and that isn't useful really.
 annoying things you do in the car. - Fullchat
Blunty was on Jonathon Woss. I found him quite entertaining.

Even he agreed that Your Beautiful would become. Quote, "Bleeping Irritating."

My annoying motoring habit. Temp gotta be on an even setting. :S

>> My annoying motoring habit. Temp gotta be on an even setting. :S

Yeah, well, not so worried about the digits being odd or even but you know those dual zone temperature thingies where the passenger can have it warmer or cooler than the driver? I really don't like it if they change that and subtly put it back to the same as mine.

On a more childish note, doesn't everyone who has a car with heated seats turn the passenger one on on summers days?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 19 Jan 14 at 21:17
 annoying things you do in the car. - Fullchat
Used to do that in the Traffic cars :) Well you have to have something to break the monotony.
Ok, we'll now, if you can get a brief hold of the keys to the car of someone who deserves it, put a golf ball under the spare wheel. Takes them ages to trace the clonking sound. If you really hate them put a fresh mackerel in there too.
 annoying things you do in the car. - Harleyman
If you really hate them put a fresh
>> mackerel in there too.
>>

Similar to this..... years ago when I worked on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, two of the loco crews had an on-running dispute. It culminated in one fireman sneaking onto the other engine whilst the crew's back was turned, lifting a cab floorboard with the coal pick and depositing a plastic bag full of fish guts under it, right at the base of the firebox. The delay for the plastic to melt and stink the cab out just gave the culprits enough time to get back up the line with their own train.

A more benign version, when a loco's sitting in light steam at the platform, is to use a long clinker shovel to place a raw onion on top of the brick arch in the firebox, where it roasts and sets all the punters salivating.

Mrs HM says I can be a bit of a back seat driver, but less so since she passed her PSV and can argue back at me. :-)

I too am guilty of tuning the radio to R4. Should be the default setting really.
 annoying things you do in the car. - Bromptonaut
The radio goes on before moving off, along with required lights and heating/ventilation. It goes off last thing before master switch (ignition).

Mrs B and kids are used to it but the late Mother out Law preferred a quiet car and my station hopping drove her mad.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 19 Jan 14 at 21:55
 annoying things you do in the car. - legacylad
Playing the same track over & over. Well thrice. With the volume increasing with each play.
Latest hot picks are 'Shoot to Thrill' and 'Wichita Lineman'.

How on earth can I like both AC/DC & Glenn Campbell? Chalk et fromage.
 annoying things you do in the car. - BiggerBadderDave
'Wichita Lineman'

I have a version of Cambell's Wichita Lineman with Michelle Shocked as a backing singer. Fantastic. Ten times better.
 annoying things you do in the car. - CGNorwich
How on earth can I like both AC/DC & Glenn Campbell?

The question is surely "how can you like either". ;-)
 annoying things you do in the car. - Alanovich

>> How on earth can I like both AC/DC & Glenn Campbell? Chalk et fromage.
>>

I share your afflication. I alternate between Metallica and John Denver. We just have catholic tastes.
 annoying things you do in the car. - WillDeBeest
Not so very different. Both draw on Scottish and Irish folk traditions (try AC/DC's It's a Long Way to the Top...) as well as the more obvious blues influence.
 annoying things you do in the car. - Pat
I refuse to be drawn Ted;)

It's just jealousy anyway!

Pat
Latest Forum Posts