Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 42

Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - Manatee
The boss's Civic 1.6 auto will be 12 this year and is looking a bit knocked about. I was just musing what I could replace it with and came across this.

Needs to be a hatchback with decent space, preferably automatic.

www.motorpoint.co.uk/VehicleAdvert/VAUXHALL/ASTRA/447122

Does anybody know what sort of auto it is? Experience suggests it's no good asking the dealers...
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - Ted

The gear lever looks like a TC one as far as I can see.

HO
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - Alanovich
I'd agree with that assessment, HO. Having spent a deal of time looking at autos last year, you can tell most of them by the shape of the gear lever and the gate/gaiter.

I'd say the only thing evidently wrong with this car is that it's a Vauxhall.
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - Boxsterboy
HJ doesn't make it clear, but the (depressed) economy figures and lack of 3-letter or similar moniker suggests it is a good old TC?

We had a manual 1.6 petrol Astra in Spain as a hire car for a couple of weeks and I was impressed, apart from the over-large centre console which cramped my style a bit.

That car is a stonking good price, if that is the type of car you want.
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - rtj70
The clues for this model come from it referred to as an automatic and not Dual Clutch/CVT type automatic. So I'd say torque converter. The brochure only says automatic too.

IMO, if it was a DSG type or CVT then they would say so. Also the emissions of an Astra automatic are a fair bit higher than the manual - a CVT or DSG style auto would be much closer to the manual if there were 6/7 gears (I know CVT has infinite gear ratios). It takes the 8 gears in a BMW torque converter auto to equal/better the manual.
Yes. Isn't the Vauxhall automated manual called Easytronic or some such?
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - Runfer D'Hills
It looks ok M.

Vauxhalls have never failed to disappoint me in the end though. I liken them to a charming estate agent. On first meeting you can be persuaded that they are a good idea...

It might well be fine. Looks nice anyway.
Thanks for the comments.

Funny colour. Brown I think. But she won't have silver, which cuts out rather a lot of options.

The Civic might keep going for another few years. I just keep thinking that when I need to replace it I'll be struggling to find anything that meets her exacting requirements (not that she is worried about what sort of auto it is, that's me).
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - Alastairw
Vx autos seem to soldier on for ages. There are a few elderly examples round here, a bit frilly round the edges, but the gearboxes still seem to be slurring the changes in the correct fashion.
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - VxFan
>> Yes. Isn't the Vauxhall automated manual called Easytronic or some such?

IIRC, they've done away with that god awful gearbox.

It was basically a manual box which was controlled by servos and the like.

It'll be either a true auto box, or a tiptronic type auto box where you have the best of both worlds - i.e. an auto box with the addition of also driving it like a manual box if you desire.

Unless things have changed, it'll also be made by Aisin-Warner. Pretty much bullet proof.

If you download the handbook from www.vauxhall.co.uk/manuals.html it might give you some more info about it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jan 14 at 21:45
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - MJM
If it's a 6 speed it's probably this one

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

I've had the C5 for a few weeks now with this gearbox and it seems ok to me, it behaves as if it's a torque converter box.
Thanks MJM.

Looks as if it is what we would refer to as a TC connected gearbox - the "clutches" referred to being the normal internal clutch and brake band functions to engage and disengage the various parts of the gearsets. But the pressure in my head builds up quite quickly thinking about combined planetary gearsets.
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - MJM
>>Looks as if it is what we would refer to as a TC connected gearbox - the "clutches" referred to being the normal internal clutch and brake band functions to engage and disengage the various parts of the gearsets<<

That was my take on it as well.
The gearchanges when moving are smooth and seamless. It's connected to a 2l 16v HDI diesel (138 bhp) in the C5 and they seem to be well matched.
This car looks as if it might fit the bill. She isn't concerned about colour as long as it isn't silver!

I suppose I'll have to go and see it to make sure it doesn't stink of dog, or worse.

2103/62 plate means it's 11 or 12 months old. Mileage seems very low for that, which is only a concern if it has spent most of its time standing. It would be helpful if they could tell me something of its history, but my past experience of used car buying is that they fudge that (it turned out on that occasion to be ex-hire, 15,000 miles and unserviced).

What is Motorpoint like to deal with? The car's in Derby:(
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - rtj70
>> What is Motorpoint like to deal with? The car's in Derby:(

We bought a car from them in Burnley in 2002. Some pointers:

- We did want finance and they seemed to have an okay deal - it was not explained that is was a HP style deal. I know should have read the small print! When the paperwork arrived I got in touch and swapped to a better deal - normal loan. Paid off with my next bonus.

- The log book took a while to arrive. Maybe because it was not quite 1 year old and so they couldn't release it?

- Spare key took ages for them to provide but we did get it eventually

- Overall an okay buying experience but this was for a £4k car

- Lots will have changed since then at Motorpoint no doubt!

- Our car was a pre-reg as it had 2 miles on the clock and was nearly a year old.

... and we still have it and it's not cost much apart from insurance, road fund licence and petrol. And some servicing, tyres and some minor problems.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 21 Jan 14 at 22:00
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - Stuartli
Some friends have just bought a 62 plate quite low mileage Corsa automatic. On the first or second day the steering column proved faulty (warning message on dash) and had to be replaced.

Seems to have been a known problem for some time now with the Corsa and the Astra.....
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - idle_chatterer
Looks like a lot of car for the money, handsome too ? That colour is very popular in Aus on Holdens and it looks very nice 'in the metal' - at least when it's clean.

With Opel pulling out of Aus after 11 months of trying to sell the Astra and Insignia as premium products there were/are some bargains about over here, I had to stop myself from being tempted because (I should remind the OP) - it is a Vauxhall.

In Aus the closely related (with a simpler rear suspension under the Astra floorplan) Holden Cruze is very popular and I notice Mororpoint have them at an even cheaper price for what would (I imagine) be a mechanically similar car ? Still a Vauxhall really so my main objection applies...
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - Roger.
I'd rather have this!

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307187889045

link edited, to remove postcode, unless it wasn't your own?
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 22 Jan 14 at 10:23
CVT box on the Honda - I would rather have the Astra.

Speaking from our experience (we owned an '03 Astra a few years back), there's nothing wrong with Vauxhalls, it's the dealers that are the problem ...
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - Victorbox
>> Speaking from our experience (we owned an '03 Astra a few years back), there's nothing
>> wrong with Vauxhalls, it's the dealers that are the problem ...

Well said! I hope the OP ignores the daft and irrelevant comments here about the brand.
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - ToMoCo
>> >> Speaking from our experience (we owned an '03 Astra a few years back), there's
>> nothing
>> >> wrong with Vauxhalls, it's the dealers that are the problem ...
>>
>> Well said! I hope the OP ignores the daft and irrelevant comments here about the
>> brand.
>>

But when buying a newish car in warranty, dealers are a big part of the equation.

Anyway, a good case to made, I think, in spending a bit sprucing up the Civic and keeping it? But sometimes there is no stop to that replacement once you start looking.

>> Anyway, a good case to made, I think, in spending a bit sprucing up the
>> Civic and keeping it? But sometimes there is no stop to that replacement once you
>> start looking.

True. But I have a history of stopping to think about it and seeing sense (or not, depending on your opinion).

I keep reminding myself that there is no such thing as an unmissable bargain.

And she likes the Civic.

But, at some point she will need a car, which may well take us to the point where we don't want 3 cars between 2 of us, so why wait?

Anyway, I didn't call them today and it may be gone next time I look. Still ruminating. Hard to know what to buy though, and I don't see many alternatives.

Thanks for the comments.
Have you thought about the Honda Insight, Manatee? I'm going to run one of those past my missus when it looks like her Golf is facing a terminal bill.
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - WillDeBeest
...daft and irrelevant comments...

Which ones? GM has (mis)managed to take Vauxhall from the situation in 1990 when a Cavalier or Astra was perceived (by me, amongst others) as more appealing than its Ford counterpart, to one where the name carries an albatross factor that buyers have to convince themselves they can live with before parting with their cash.

I've been back to look at Vauxhalls a couple of times since I happily offloaded my Astra in 1996 and so far the albatross has won each time. If that makes the things cheaper for those who don't care, so be it; you're welcome to them.
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - Dog
And, in at number 7 we have ... www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/64280/most-reliable-cars
>> And, in at number 7 we have ... www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/64280/most-reliable-cars

Unfortunately that is the Agila, a rebadged Suzuki! The Astra is nowhere in the reliability charts, not that I think they are very reliable.
>>Unfortunately that is the Agila, a rebadged Suzuki

When is a Vauxhall not a Vauxhall, even the Astra is an Opel, developed in Germany.
If you're going to give that 'survey' any respect (and you already know what I think of such things) then the result based on more data - and hence less untrustworthy - is the one that puts Vauxhall 26th out of 32 car brands - or if you're AC, marques.
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - mikeyb
Take if for a decent test drive. I've driven loads on the 1.6 manual astras as hire cars. They ride well, and feel pretty solid, but they are quite gutless, and a bit thirsty IMO.

Motorpoint are a pretty slick organisation, if you ring them or use their webchat facility they will tell you its history as long as its on site, which it must be as they have photos.

Ex rental would be my guess
>>Vauxhall 26th out of 32 car brands

Why is that then I wonder, is it because they're made in England and, are the German built jobbies more reliable?
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 22 Jan 14 at 19:02
Despite the AE headline, I don't think that piece is all about reliability. The text says that Jaguar was placed third despite making only 15th in reliability, and I think the model-by-model responses covered other areas too.

Anyway, it's all rubbish, so neither here nor there.

'Sides, I don't think Vauxhall's albatross is reliability; it's more the lack of any positive desirability. If you want a That'll Do car, the Koreans have that market cornered. If you want a basic car with a dash of style or driving pleasure, you buy a Ford or a Citroën. And, of course, you'd rather have a Volkswagen than either. Where's the niche for Vauxhall?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Wed 22 Jan 14 at 19:20
The Astra comes is 7th in HJ's top ten medium sized cars, ahead of the Golf and the V40 so they can't be all bad.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/topten/top-ten-medium-family-cars/?image=0
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - spamcan61
>>
>>I don't think Vauxhall's albatross is reliability; it's more the lack of any positive
>> desirability. If you want a That'll Do car, the Koreans have that market cornered. If
>> you want a basic car with a dash of style or driving pleasure, you buy
>> a Ford or a Citroën. And, of course, you'd rather have a Volkswagen than either.
>> Where's the niche for Vauxhall?
>>
As a long term Vauxhall driver I'd agree a lot of people think like that; the brand has no USP really; although they have made same fairly good looking cars in the last few years IMHO. At least this makes them cheaper than the equivalent VW or whatever when I buy my cars second/third/fourth hand.
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - Zero
>> As a long term Vauxhall driver I'd agree a lot of people think like that;
>> the brand has no USP really; although they have made same fairly good looking cars
>> in the last few years IMHO. At least this makes them cheaper than the equivalent
>> VW or whatever when I buy my cars second/third/fourth hand.

so if they are so undesirable, why do I see so many on the road?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 23 Jan 14 at 01:17
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - Fursty Ferret

>> so if they are so undesirable, why do I see so many on the road?
>>

Because the equivalent Focus is foul to drive and horribly overpriced?

Based on my experience with the Focus as a hire car, anyway.
... if they are so undesirable, why do I see so many on the road?

Picture a little green square. Now add a squiggly, white lower-case e. Got that? Now imagine a Vauxhall without one.

No, neither can I. The lack of public demand creates big discounts for the rental operators - the ultimate That'll Do buyers.
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - mikeyb
>> ... if they are so undesirable, why do I see so many on the road?
>>

>> Picture a little green square. Now add a squiggly, white lower-case e. Got that? Now
>> imagine a Vauxhall without one.
>>

At work our contract is with Europcar (not Enterprise) and the bulk of their fleet is VX. Sometimes the guy in the rental office asks me to fill in a feedback form. Always put down that there are to many VX cars in their fleet and he tells me its a common theme but head office keep sending them!
>> Picture a little green square. Now add a squiggly, white lower-case e. Got that? Now
>> imagine a Vauxhall without one.
>>
>> No, neither can I. The lack of public demand creates big discounts for the rental
>> operators - the ultimate That'll Do buyers.
>>

But I see the same squiggly e on many Mercs and BMWs. What does that say?
That some rental customers will pay extra not to have a Vauxhall.

It's not that you see some with an 'e', it's when you seldom see one without that you know something's up.
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - idle_chatterer
>> ...daft and irrelevant comments...
>>
>> Which ones? GM has (mis)managed to take Vauxhall from the situation in 1990 when a
>> Cavalier or Astra was perceived (by me, amongst others) as more appealing than its Ford
>> counterpart, to one where the name carries an albatross factor that buyers have to convince
>> themselves they can live with before parting with their cash.
>>
>> I've been back to look at Vauxhalls a couple of times since I happily offloaded
>> my Astra in 1996 and so far the albatross has won each time. If that
>> makes the things cheaper for those who don't care, so be it; you're welcome to
>> them.
>>

+1

I thought my comments on the Vauxhall brand were quite restrained given my ownership experience with 6 of their products. 4 of these were largely dictated by company car policy.

All of them were ( upon reflection) awful - 2 Corsas, 2 Cavaliers and 2 Vectras and I have never experienced such rude and incompetent dealers with any other brand, is this relevant information for the OP?
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - Roger.
CVT box is fine & economical!
 Vauxhall Astra I - What's wrong with this? - CGNorwich
Jazz is a nice town car. Not a car for a long drive down the motorway though. I found the effect of a cross wind could be positively alarming at speed and the steering was pretty vague. Seemed well built though.
Latest Forum Posts