Motoring Discussion > Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 16

Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? - No FM2R
inhabitat.com/hamburg-announces-plans-to-become-a-car-free-city-within-20-years/
 Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? - Runfer D'Hills
Might work in Hamburg but it'll never catch on in Heidelberg.

They're all Heidelbergers there.
 Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? - Robin O'Reliant
The report says the average temperature has increased by NINE degrees in sixty years? That sounds like some alarmist green testicals to me.
 Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? - Armel Coussine
I nearly had a heart attack. But it's all right, Hamburg won't be 'car-free', it will just have a network of car-free green paths.

Got lots of those all over London already - dahna canal, up the park and that.
 Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? - Mapmaker
>> The report says the average temperature has increased by NINE degrees in sixty years? That
>> sounds like some alarmist green testicals to me.

Yes, probably. But if you think that sixty years ago Hamburg was probably a green field. (OK, a brown field.) And now it's a modern city. I should think central London is probably five degrees warmer than it was in Roman times/five degrees warmer than a field in Kent.
 Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? - Alanovich
In Roman times vines were cultivated for winemaking as far north as Yorkshire. The climate is significantly cooler now.

Evidence of lack of solar activity is beginning to herald predictions of another Maunder Minimum event in the next 50 years. Ice fairs on the Thames.

Truth is, we haven't got a clue.
 Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? - Focusless
Perhaps something got lost in translation; same report in Independent, which sounds more plausible:

"Hamburg’s median temperatures have risen by 1.2C to 9C over the past 60 years."

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/auto-ban-how-hamburg-is-taking-cars-off-the-road-9062461.html

>> Truth is, we haven't got a clue.

But we do have a point about the point I was making. A city is degrees warmer than the equivalent land without a city on it. When did you last see snow drifts in central London?
...although in the case of Hamburg it's only made a difference of 1.2C, assuming it was a 'green/brown field' 60 years ago as you suggest. Of course that may be sufficient to prevent snow settling.
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 21 Jan 14 at 13:08
Hamburg in 1945 was flat.
>> Hamburg in 1945 was flat.

I was just trying to suggest that if it wasn't a field of whatever colour it might explain why the rise in temperature was so small, contrary to what you appeared to be suggesting.

Anyway, what state was it in 60 years ago - partially rebuilt?
 Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? - Zero
>> Hamburg in 1945 was flat.

It was probably still warm from the firebombs.
 Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? - Alanovich
I know that. I was, as I thought was pretty obvious, pointing out the fallacy of saying it's 5 degrees warmer now than Roman times, when the opposite is, broadly speaking, the case.
 Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? - Boxsterboy
>> When did you last
>> see snow drifts in central London?
>>

Last winter, as it happens!
 Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? - Armel Coussine

>> Last winter, as it happens!

Yes, or 'last time it snowed for more than half an hour'.
 Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? - Robin O'Reliant
Two centimeters counts as a snow drift in central London.
 Today Hamburg, tomorrow London? - Bromptonaut
>> >> When did you last
>> >> see snow drifts in central London?
>> >>
>>
>> Last winter, as it happens!

Where?
Latest Forum Posts