Motoring Discussion > Mitsubishi Lancer - Lancer blots its copy book Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 7

Mitsubishi Lancer - Lancer blots its copy book - Zero
Oh Dear - Lancer has had it's first problem.

7 years old and 88k up its failed the MOT on broken anti-roll bar drop links, no doubt caused by speed bumps and potholes. I knew there was a potential issue as it was a bit clonky, but had no effect on handling ride.

Total cost to fix - 129 quid so I am prepared to forgive it this
One small foible
 Mitsubishi Lancer - Lancer blots its copy book - Bromptonaut
Still got 100% dispatch/journey reliability though?

Speed bumps or not droplinks and such like are a wear/tear item. Had same problem with my Xantia albeit at slightly higher mileage.

The surprising thing was how a tiny movement of the link could cause such loud clonk in the cabin.
 Mitsubishi Lancer - Lancer blots its copy book - RichardW
Just done links on both our Xantia and C4 Picasso - Xantia had been rattling really loudly for a while, till about 2 weeks before christmas when it went blissfully quiet....sure enough, the really rattly one (which was original @ 155k AFAIK) had fallen apart. Handling seemed largely unaffected....!

Note that if the garage has fitted cheap links, you will like as not be here again next year, as they are very short lived.
 Mitsubishi Lancer - Lancer blots its copy book - Dog
I'll havta watch out for that b'cos my Sub sails over kipping coppers as if they weren't there, which of course they are, I tend to take liberties with em really TBH b'cos it's a novel experience (for me) to be able to ignor the damn things.
 Mitsubishi Lancer - Lancer blots its copy book - ToMoCo
A car that would be on my shortlist should my 406 suffer something catastrophic.

What sort of mpg are you getting Zero?
 Mitsubishi Lancer - Lancer blots its copy book - Lygonos
Subaru's can eat rear anti-roll bar bushes and the drop links are usually not far behind, but they're not difficult or costly to replace.

Sounds like the Lancer has similar weak spots, with suspension bits failing and bottom caliper bolts seizing.

(albeit at similar ages of 7-8 years so not truly premature IMO)
 Mitsubishi Lancer - Lancer blots its copy book - Dog
>>Subaru's can eat rear anti-roll bar bushes and the drop links are usually not far behind, but they're not difficult or costly to replace.

I've noticed the steering has become a little funny of late, hard to explain really and, it might just be me, looser somehow, and not as precise, probably the missus has worn something out by using full lock to full lock.
(they don't know, do they)

The tyre pressures are okay, and the wheels are bolted on nicely - MOT in April so I'll leave it until then.
 Mitsubishi Lancer - Lancer blots its copy book - Zero
>> A car that would be on my shortlist should my 406 suffer something catastrophic.
>>
>> What sort of mpg are you getting Zero?

Its not brilliant, about 36mpg.
Latest Forum Posts