Motoring Discussion > Which auto? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 101

Which auto? - Crankcase
Ok, this is little bit hypothetical, but seems to be getting worryingly less hypothetical by the day, especially as there is womanly approval.

So - new car, as in new. Any comments on this shortlist?

All are auto, as that's a given for me.

VW Golf
VW Passat
Mercedes C Class
Audi A4
Audi A5 Sportback
BMW 3
Toyota Prius (only I will know the ins and outs of that in uncomfortable detail I suspect)

All of those can float in, with various offers and so forth, at between 22 and 26k for the variants I'd probably pick. That's before negotiation, or drivethedeals and so forth, so in the scheme of things, they're all pretty much the same price.

I don't really need "none of those, pick this", nor do I need "madness, depreciation alone will fund your retirement for a hundred years, buy a ninth hand Mondeo for twenty pence and go round the world via Mars instead". I know, however, that's what I'll get...

So, if you had to pick one from that list...?
 Which auto? - Alanovich
Whichever has TC auto. Which, I suspect, may only be the Merc or 3.

So if forced to choose at gunpoint, it'd be one of those. Merc marginally preferable for inexplicable reasons, if it's TC. BMDub if it's the only TC option.

Reality is, I wouldn't want a Merc or BM, especially not a new one.

So none of the above is the real answer from me.
 Which auto? - ToMoCo
On looks alone - the A5, but I've always been left slightly underwhelmed when inside an Audi.

I think the Passat is very nice inside, so would be a tough decision. Heart for the A5 looks, Head would say Passat - you don't look from the outside when driving.

I haven't been in a recent Mercedes, but quite like the latest styling.

If looking at higher power variants, then I suppose I'd have to have a go in the BMW before discounting that.

I generally like driving bigger cars, so would discard the Golf from the off and probably the Prius (as much as I like Toyota, and it's a nice drive)
 Which auto? - Enoughalready
Can't decide between the Merc and the A5. As above I prefer larger cars though. Never liked the Passat and I have no idea why!
 Which auto? - WillDeBeest
Golf is nice, good on space (I fit in the back) and has an air of rightness about it. Haven't driven one recently but I want to because it's high on the list to replace the S60.

Passat in contrast is deeply depressing. A Skoda Superb is a much more pleasing car.

A5 appeals to me. Bit of flair, just neither big enough to be our main car nor small enough to be our second.

C is a bit of a mess, I think. Had a C220 CDI for a day (some notes on it here somewhere) and found the interior fussy and the engine noise intolerable. TC auto, though, so you'd like that much at least.

Haven't driven any BMW recently but I'm increasingly drawn to them, partly by the simplicity of their interiors compared with the mess that is current MB design.

What have I missed?
 Which auto? - Bill Payer
I'm not sure of the exact timing, but there is a new C Class pretty soon.
 Which auto? - Crankcase
There is, hence 8k or so can be grabbed off the current one, which is fine by me.
 Which auto? - Boxsterboy
It would be the C-class for me, so long as it's not a plain Jane poverty spec, or a well-trimmed Golf.

BMW. No, because of run-flats.
Passat. No, because too dreary inside and out.
Audi. No, unless it was a Quattro. Not comvinced by these yet, can't quite but my finger on it.
Prius. No! Droning, whining CVT? No thanks!
 Which auto? - Clk Sec
It would be the A5 for me for its hatchback / sportsback, although it's been around for a good few years now.

I would also be interested in the outgoing C-class, if £8000 was lopped off the price.

Do tell us more, CC.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Thu 23 Jan 14 at 16:33
 Which auto? - Dave_
Aha, a subject I know something about. I load, unload, deliver and demonstrate all of the above and for the last few weeks I've been driving Dad's current shape C-Class.

There isn't a bad car on that list CC, just be careful what size wheels they come with as most of them seem overly firm-riding to me. IMO there's nothing to choose between the 3-series, C-Class and A5 for looks or image.

The cars I move are generally brand new, so I don't explore the outer reaches of their handling and grip - although general driving impressions come across soon enough. The VW and Audi diesel autos seem lively and alert, I could live with any of them quite happily although reliability worries would always be lurking, however unfounded those may be.

The BMW & Mercedes are easy to drive when you're not in the mood for driving, neither supplies completely seamless gearchanges but both are close enough once warmed up. The Merc is the first nice RWD I've ever had (ancient Sierras years ago weren't "nice", nor are any number of Sprinters and 7-tonners) and it would be even nicer if it didn't have the Sport Plus springs, seats and wheels. I haven't driven it in anger yet, but it does tired motorway wafting very well indeed.

The Prius's interior quality is a class below the others, but the quirky drive given by its hybrid system never fails to amuse. Hybrids have come on in leaps and bounds, shown by the fact that they're now considered in the same breath as the more conventional competition without just being the weedy eco-option.

Your call, at the end of the day. Pick the one that best displays the qualities important to you.
 Which auto? - Crankcase
>> Do tell us more, CC.

Well, perhaps 8k on a C class is a little optimistic, but then again. I got that from a combination of the What Car target prices, which are 4 to 4.5k under retail, and the current offer on the Mercedes website, C class, Personal, where if you take finance, they are giving you £5765 contribution.

So I was thinking wheedle them down by 2k, add the 5k contribution, there you go.

In practice I appreciate it may not be possible to just take the offer and clear the finance, who knows. It may also not be possible to get the price down and also get the massive contribution, but again, who knows.

I know that offer isn't the one I'd buy of course. I assume it's across all of them but maybe not.

I've not at this point done a drivethedeal check, so that may be encouraging or not too.

offers.mb.co.uk/offers.php?model=C-Class%20Saloon
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 23 Jan 14 at 18:23
 Which auto? - retgwte
Personally I would have a Hyundai i30 auto or even i20 auto before anything on that list

Have you seen how good a new i30 auto is these days?

If I had to pick from your list it would be a C class
Last edited by: retgwte on Thu 23 Jan 14 at 18:36
 Which auto? - Crankcase
Thanks for the opinions and thoughts all, especially Dave's real world comments about them. If I weren't busy on Saturday I'd be off to start the looking process at various local dealers, but I am, and Sunday they won't be open, and then it's back to work, and the next weekend...

I'll get there.
 Which auto? - legacylad
I must go and test drive an i30 or i20. See how they compare to a 328.
And no, Im not being sarcastic as I prefer to judge for myself.
 Which auto? - ToMoCo
Carfile.net are showing an easy 6+ grand off list across the C class range.
 Which auto? - NortonES2
Prius isn't actually a CVT, in that it doesn't rely on belts and pulleys. It might well drone and whine, but it's not due to the transmission per se. I've found Toyota engines a bit unrefined, but no experience of the Prius. Seems reliable though.
 Which auto? - rtj70
>> Prius isn't actually a CVT,

Is it not? It's marketed as a CVT. I thought the issue with the 'CVT' wasn't because it was a CVT but because the car being a hybrid attempting to keep to an efficient way of driving keeps the revs at an optimum level. Surely if you floor it the engine/CVT responds but possibly with a delay.

I thought I'd try an IS300h tomorrow out of curiosity.
 Which auto? - Crankcase
Not a CVT as you might understand it, no. For the extra techies who like spinny bits, here's a video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHpSyTsfm0

Which auto? - NortonES2
Thats a new one on me, Crankcase. In diagramatic form here: www.ecrostech.com/prius/original/PriusFrames.htm
with more detail in other segments of the site.

It will be interesting to hear what rtj thinks of the transmission, if he tries a Lexus. For our purposes the Prius or similar would be quite useful. Don't do a great deal of M-way driving. However, the Yeti will have to suffice until the proverbial ship comes in!
Last edited by: NIL on Fri 24 Jan 14 at 08:41
 Which auto? - Crankcase
I drive a Prius now, and it's great, hence the inclusion of a new one on my list. But I'm now tending towards the C class, and it looks like quite a few here wouldn't be averse to that either, which is interesting.
 Which auto? - rtj70
>> It will be interesting to hear what rtj thinks of the transmission, if he tries a Lexus.

Got a short test drive this afternoon of the IS300h. Albeit not an SE spec. Then if I like it I will sort out a 48 hour test drive next month via the lease company.

Downside of the SE are smaller wheels that don't look as nice and I'd miss heated seats, auto dimming rear view mirror.... But the step up to the Luxury will be quite a bit more and you'd have to add the £2000 sat nav.

And I must remember to try the sat nav today! And that weird mouse thing for controlling it.
 Which auto? - Crankcase
Whatever conclusion you come to at the end of the drive, remember the IS is very much not like the GS, which in turn is very much not like the LS. They all might as well come from different manufacturers in terms of "feel". So don't think all Lexus's are the same.

I recall getting into an LS for the first time when I owned a GS, and thinking "Where the heck does the 30k premium over the GS for this car come from - oh hang on, yes, I see now. Wow." Conversely, I recall getting an IS courtesy car and thinking "What the Dickens is this thing? Is it a Ford?"

This was, of course, some time back and no doubt the IS is much nicer place to be now.
 Which auto? - rtj70
Well I liked the IS300h enough to look at getting a decent length test drive to see what I really think of it. Sat nav is a bit fiddly to operate with the mouse style controller but you'd get used to that. Easier to enter a postcode on the Passat CC's RNS315 sat nav using the touch screen.

But the nav on the Lexus not only can download your phone book, it can download your SMS and emails. And will read them out to you. I think you can even reply.

The main thing is I didn't think on a short motorway trip the CVT was making an irritating whining noise.
 Which auto? - rtj70
Thanks for the link - very interesting. And complicated setup.

It was a nice car and I'll consider one after a better/longer 2 day test drive. Things I'm not sure of though include:

- Indicators - not as bad as the ones on the Vectra C but... will have to see
- Sat nav/infotainment system via the mouse (Remote Touch)
- Foot operated parking brake
- Steering felt a bit low and wouldn't go higher - seat probably needed to be lower but it was only a short test drive
- The Luxury model might cost a fair bit more than the SE but has options I'd want like folding rear seats
 Which auto? - mikeyb
>> Thanks for the link - very interesting. And complicated setup.
>>
>> It was a nice car and I'll consider one after a better/longer 2 day test
>> drive......................
>>

Not sure if you are aware, but the 2014 facelift has just been announced

www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/ct/85370/lexus-ct-200h-facelift-2014

Which auto? - rtj70
But I was looking at the IS300h SE and Luxury which came out last July :-) Wouldn't want to CT200h/Prius.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 25 Jan 14 at 13:12
 Which auto? - Avant
Less powerful Golfs have the dry-clutch DSG (7-speed), which has given problems: more powerful ones have the wet-clutch 6-speed DSG whish is smoother and more reliable.

I's be interested to know your rationale for putting the Passat on your list: with the same mechanicals you can have more perceived quality (A4 or A5) or better value with no loss of quality (Octavia).

We don't know what your annual mileage is, or type of driving: diesel or petrol? If it's mainly urban or suburban, a Prius has a lot going for it. It just isn't at its best on the open road.

For your budget, for me it would be a Golf GTI or the Octavia vRS that I've got. The problem with the Audi, BMW and Mercedes on your list is that desirable ones are too expensive unless you buy secondhand. And I presume that, like me, you like buying new cars, whether or not that's financially the best deal.
 Which auto? - Runfer D'Hills
From your list, the Merc would be my choice.
 Which auto? - rtj70
Mercedes CLA? Deals must be good on the old C Class.

I drove a Golf GT when my car was serviced.... didn't make me want one. I was meant to borrow a GTD but not sure I want one so not chased up the promised 2 day loan. For my next car I thinking of the Mazda6 Sport 2.2d. I'm not sure if it would be a 150PS or I'd prefer/want the 175PS.... but I thought I'd try the IS300h.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 23 Jan 14 at 23:13
 Which auto? - legacylad
3 series Beemer for me. 8 speed auto. Great combination of handling, low emissions, good mpg with stop/start, build quality and residuals.

Sadly I am saying goodbye to my gorgeous 330 rag top this Spring, and I have recently had test drives in the 328 & 335 petrols, plus a 330d. In Touring & GT form. The X3 was ruled out after only 5 miles.

Specced one up on DTD but am trying to source almost new at the moment.

Preferably it would be on 18" rims, although the ride on the 19" was acceptable
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 23 Jan 14 at 23:15
 Which auto? - IJWS14
Depends what you want, Golf, A5 and BMW and Prius have really small boots, A5 surprisingly small.

No spare in an BMW.

Have driven a Prius and would not have one and it was no more economical than the Passat.

I drive a Passat (manual) as I would not want a twin clutch auto long term (See some people use TC to describe autos but do they mean Twin Clutch or Torque Converter?) - driven a couple but maybe I could get used to it.

For an old fashioned auto it would have to be the C, preferably with the 250 diesel since the 6.3 petrol would be out of reach.
 Which auto? - Mikhail Ribbendik
>>See some people use TC to describe autos but do they mean Twin Clutch or Torque Converter?

Torque Converter.
 Which auto? - Duncan
>> >>See some people use TC to describe autos but do they mean Twin Clutch or
>> Torque Converter?
>>
>> Torque Converter.
>>

Welcome to The Forum, Mikhail.
Hadn't spotted that as an ambiguity but you're quite right. Round here, TC means torque converter.
 Which auto? - Dave_
Dad's Mercedes indy advised him against the 250, he sees lots with injector trouble. The 220 has 168hp and 400Nm, which isn't far behind the 204hp of the 250 (same 2.1 engine, different turbos). Plenty quick enough for A-road overtakes.
 Which auto? - Crankcase
This stuff is gold, at least for further research. Ta.
 Which auto? - Roger.
Despite views expressed here I really like the CVT - as fitted in the Jazz. I have driven many slush box automatics over the years, but of course none recently, so my comparison may not be fair.
I don't find (even WITH my hearing aids in!) there to be a whine or wheeze. Response is pretty good and there is a "sport" mode which holds the shifts a bit.
Compared with the old DAF CVT (Remember the Daffodil?) these modern boxes are very different.
I find I never use the manual shift option in ordinary driving as, for a given speed, the engine revs are less than when in the manual mode.
Economy for an auto is very good - better even, than our departed Panda.
 Which auto? - Fenlander
Just a gut feeling from me that I'd be hoping the Mercedes suited on a test drive unless my needs meant a smaller car was appropriate then I'd be very happy with a Golf over almost any other mid size hatch.
 Which auto? - PeterS
>> Dad's Mercedes indy advised him against the 250, he sees lots with injector trouble. The
>> 220 has 168hp and 400Nm, which isn't far behind the 204hp of the 250 (same
>> 2.1 engine, different turbos). Plenty quick enough for A-road overtakes.
>>

The 250 is much more torquey though isn't it. I thought it was 500Nm, but might be wrong. I have driven a C with that engine, and it reminded me very much of my old E46 330d - a similar size as well compared to the new 3 and A4 which are larger. I thought it was a nice car
 Which auto? - ToMoCo
>>ToMoCo - "I think the Passat is very nice inside"

>>WDB - "Passat in contrast is deeply depressing"

>>Boxsterboy - "Passat. No, because it's too dreary inside"

Heh, just me then.

Crankcase - I hope you know how hard this is not to say "you know, for £25k you could get a less than year old ???" ;-) Was it you, a while back mentioned on another thread lokking at the GS 450h?
 Which auto? - Crankcase
Ah, yes, the 450H. Yes, looked, and still kinda sorta, but somehow...just fancied something new. And a new one of those is well out my reach and always will be.

And it might be time to change from Toyota after, what, about twelve years or so. The local dealer has gone right off the boil since their recent takeover.

You can find them on Google maps - the Toyota dealer is in Frying Pan Lane, whereas the Merc one is in Fire Avenue.

Which auto? - NortonES2
Very apt!
80k miles on my 2011 E250 CDI so far and no problems to date. (FWIW) Great engine in my opinion. Plenty of torque and economical too. I imagine it'd be even nicer in a C due to the lesser weight.
 Which auto? - mikeyb
>> 80k miles on my 2011 E250 CDI so far and no problems to date.
>>

Thought you had racked up more miles than that - has your annual mileage dropped off a bit?
>>has your annual mileage dropped off a bit?

A bit yes. Not as much as I'd planned though ! Somebody assured me that as I was now the boss a couple or so years ago and could get other people to knock themselves in instead but I think they were telling me porkies. Seem to still be running around like a demented blue erm .....bottle

;-)
 Which auto? - PeterS
>> 80k miles on my 2011 E250 CDI so far and no problems to date. (FWIW)
>> Great engine in my opinion. Plenty of torque and economical too. I imagine it'd be
>> even nicer in a C due to the lesser weight.
>>

The C feels noticeably brisker with the 250 engine than my E. The C is quite a bit smaller, and I assume lighter, so the whole thing felt far more chuckable. Not as refined though - less soundproofing I guess!!
Putting it mildly, Peter! The C220 I had had essentially the same engine (Blue Efficiency bits notwithstanding) as my E220, which I've always thought remarkably quiet and civilized for a four-cylinder diesel. Not so in the C, where it made an awful, tractory racket that would have put me right off buying one. Smaller, cheaper car than the E, I know, but a Volvo D3 or D5 in the same price range as the C is a much nicer thing to sit behind.
 Which auto? - mikeyb

>> And it might be time to change from Toyota after, what, about twelve years or
>> so. The local dealer has gone right off the boil since their recent takeover.

Funny that, a friend has just ditched her Toyota for the same reason. Dealer by her office always helpful, and would collect the car from her and drop the car back with her security guard ready for her end of day drive home. Change of hands and that service is no longer offered, combined with a miss diagnosed problem meant the Verso has been replaced with a Focus, whereby it was planned to be an Auris.

She has no interest in the car but the aftercare / service was important
 Which auto? - Crankcase
Well of course, I'm not naming names, but you probably know where I am so you can see who the dealer is. I wonder where you are...they seem to be buying up all the dealerships for miles around.

But I wouldn't say they were poor or anything like that - just not so sharp any more in a number of tiny ways. I guess they're just like all the local dealers of various makes now, so I suppose I'm thinking why not buy from someone else then, if they're all the same.

I don't hold out much hope of finding anyone as good as the Lexus dealers I've used over the years though. Of course, it's the car that counts, not the dealer. Isn't it?
 Which auto? - Avant
"Of course, it's the car that counts, not the dealer. Isn't it?"

It could be a bit of both if, as in your case, several cars would suit you. I think Skoda get quite a lot of extra sales because they sell mainly through family-owned dealers who care, rather than through glass palaces staffed by clones and school-leavers.

A C-class or 3-series for the price of a Golf? Are you going for not-quite-new, or a very basic Mercedes or BMW?
 Which auto? - Crankcase
Depending on exact spec, but playing with online configurations,

Golf SE DSG, 22k
Merc C SE auto, list 28 or 29k, 5 or 6k discount, 23 or 24k.

Was my thought.
A friend bought a new C63 AMG estate a couple of weeks ago. Says he saved a mint on it ( he won't say how much a mint is mind ) as it's the run out model. Sounds more like man maths to me of course.

Fast thing though. Very, very fast indeed and it makes a great noise. He won't tell me, or indeed his wife, what mpg he's getting or how much the insurance was either strangely enough...

Not that I'm jealous or anything. Who would be? Pah !
 Which auto? - Bill Payer
>> Depending on exact spec, but playing with online configurations,
>>
>> Golf SE DSG, 22k
>> Merc C SE auto, list 28 or 29k, 5 or 6k discount, 23 or 24k.
>>
>>
>> Was my thought.
>>

I don't know why it is, but seeing Golf's at £20K+ just feels ridiculous to me.

One thing to watch with expecting a hefty discount on C Class is, if they haven't already, they'll be stopping making the current one soon - so timing a deal could be quite critical.
 Which auto? - Boxsterboy
They have already slimmed down the range in readiness fo the new W205 model.
 Which auto? - Crankcase
Found time to get to Mercedes dealer. C class off the list. Oh well. Mrs C didn't take to the looks at all, especially the enormous Mercedes emblem in the front grille, and frankly, nor did I in the metal.

As there are a bunch of dealers, we sat in a few. She liked a Focus and she liked a Volvo S60. She didn't like the Jaguars, not that a Jaguar was on my list anyway. Edit. She really liked the Jaguars very much, but the XF is just too darn big.

Tomorrow we look at Audi and VW, I think.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 25 Jan 14 at 15:40
Did you get a chance to drive one of the Mercs Crankcase? Sometimes looks can be secondary to the way a car feels when you drive it. Something else, which passes the aesthetic test, might conversely not be quite as pleasing when under way. By way of a passing thought only you understand. None of my beeswax naturally...

;-)
 Which auto? - Boxsterboy
>> C class off the list. Oh well. Mrs
>> C didn't take to the looks at all, especially the enormous Mercedes emblem in the
>> front grille, and frankly, nor did I
>>

That would be the Sport model then. I agree the star is far too big and vulgar. The problem is that Mercedes-Benz UK wants younger drivers which means he car must look sporty. In Europe they still do more discreet stars mounted atop the 'radiator' which doubles as a gun sight ven blasting die misers out von der fast lane, ja?
 Which auto? - Crankcase

Take the point about the driving experience, but as we hated the interior too - all shiny bits everywhere like a magpie's nest, it was never going to work.

>> That would be the Sport model then.

No, the same giant star the size of a dinner plate was on every car they had, from A, B, C, E to S and all those odd variants in between. Yuk. I suppose I'd not noticed it before on the road, cos you don't until you're serious.

Which auto? - rtj70
I thought the more discreet grille was still an option on some models. Has that changed now?
 Which auto? - Avant
I think it is still on some current models, but I read that the forthcoming C-class won't have the option in the UK although it will in other markets.

That really is a classic example of the stupidity of men in suits. It's not as if the factory wasn't producing the old-style grille with mascot any more: they are, but the suits have decided that UK buyers won't get the choice. Let's hope they lose some sales, although they'll never admit it.

Still, it won't affect me: after the B-class of 2006 I don't see myself having another Mercedes.
 Which auto? - PeterS
The S class has the bonnet mounted star, and it's available on the current (or should that be about to be discontinued) C class. All other models on sale in the UK now have the large grill-mounted one. I have to say I'm not a big fan of it on the E, but think it's OK on the C and smaller models.
>>but think it's OK on the C and smaller models.

Yes indeed, sniffs haughtily, the smaller ones...

;-))
 Which auto? - PeterS
Mmm yes; Oops! It wasn't supposed to sound quite like that. Well, not intentionally at least :-)
Aye but you're right though !

;-)
He is.
Perhaps we should have a communal sniff and mutter about those "smaller ones"?

Ready, set, go...

;-)
 Which auto? - PeterS
For me the question is, are these newer FWD ones real Mercedes? I gather some people even buy (sorry, PCP) them with manual transmission!!

;-)
Goodness, really?

( double sniff )
 Which auto? - Crankcase
Well, that put me firmly back in my box. Ok, I get the message. I'm off to find a tenth hand Lada.

Heh heh well played Crankcase !

Truth is, if my job didn't provide the car I'd most probably be in a something handed Mondeo and indeed be more than happy enough to do so.

I do like the Merc though as you'll maybe gather !

Wafty. I like wafty.
 Which auto? - Crankcase
I'm a big waft fan too. There was a second hand S class something or other engine size I looked at from the outside the other day. It was about five years old, looked utterly immaculate, utterly gorgeous and utterly huge. 15k with about 40k miles on. There was some temptation going on I have to say, but head told me it would be eye watering to run. And it wouldn't fit the parking space.
 Which auto? - PeterS
Bringing it back on topic, have you tied the 8 speed auto in the current BMWs? It's a very good 'box indeed from my experience of the 5 series, and I'd think a 318d/320d wth the same box would be a very capable car indeed. Trouble is for me, these cars (3 series / A4 and the upcoming C class replacement) are all so close in cost to the next size up in the manufacturers respective ranges (which are also generally better equipped) that I struggle to see the logic in buying them!
 Which auto? - Crankcase
In my case, size does matter. Plus there is the side issue that it can't look too swanky in the works car park. Be very embarrassing that.
 Which auto? - PeterS
Makes sense Crankcase. Mind you, can anyone tell the difference between an A4 and an A6 from less than 10m anyway!
>>difference between an A4 and an A6 ...

FWD those aren't they? Harrumph...not the sort of thing a chap should really be getting involved with what? Alright for a hire car or stopgap one supposes...

;-)
>>And it wouldn't fit the parking space...

One of the pleasing things I'd forgotten about RWD is how much better the turning lock is and by default how easy they are to shuffle into the tightest spaces. Provided of course the physical space is available.

>>it can't look too swanky in the works car park...

Ah ok, so we're looking for some kind of stealth wafter then? More difficult that, but give us time...

Lexus something maybe? For example, my wife would at the very least have some form of an opinion about a BMW or a Merc or an Audi but she'd almost certainly not have one, positive, negative or otherwise about a Lexus, but I gather ( not that I've even been in one to my knowledge ) they are rather good.

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 25 Jan 14 at 22:06
 Which auto? - Crankcase
Had one. Boss wandered over and said, faintly surprised " ooh, you have a Lexus. You know how to treat yourself."

Not had a pay rise in three years.

Lada it is then !

;-)
 Which auto? - Dave_
>> One of the pleasing things I'd forgotten about RWD is how much better the turning lock is

Seconded. There is a fairly tight U-turn involved when picking up my older kids - the Mondeo and Mazda struggled and both suffered kerbed wheels, the Saab just about did it in one if you were inch perfect; the Merc swings round with room to spare.
 Which auto? - mikeyb
>> >>And it wouldn't fit the parking space...
>>
>> One of the pleasing things I'd forgotten about RWD is how much better the turning
>> lock is and by default how easy they are to shuffle into the tightest spaces.
>> Provided of course the physical space is available.

Never really noticed it until Mrs B got the Viano, but it makes quite a difference
 Which auto? - legacylad
As I said earlier, the 8 speed auto matched to a 335 petrol is really rather good. It was in the one I test drove. The 5 is simply too large for some of us.
 Which auto? - legacylad
You saying a C63 is a pile of poo? I would happily slum it in a smaller Benz. Body wise that is.
 Which auto? - IJWS14
>> Dad's Mercedes indy advised him against the 250, he sees lots with injector trouble. The
>> 220 has 168hp and 400Nm, which isn't far behind the 204hp of the 250 (same
>> 2.1 engine, different turbos). Plenty quick enough for A-road overtakes.
>>

Wasn't that a problem just after launch, several colleagues have them (in the E) and no reported problems
My E is older and has old-tech injectors (and higher fuel consumption to match) so I can't comment on the reliability of the current ones, but I can endorse 'plenty quick enough for A-road overtakes'. Did a couple of those this morning and, even in the hefty E estate, there was no great effort involved.

A C saloon must be 300kg lighter, which can only help, although - sorry to bang on about this - a few kilos of sound insulation would be a good swap for a little of that acceleration.
 Which auto? - Crankcase
Just spoken with local Mercedes dealer. The giant star in the grille is the only option - you can't specify the older more discreet style of badging.

I said, for what it was worth, and of course in a nice way, that had killed the sale, which they seemed to find hilarious.

I could probably live with the grille star if the rest of the car were nicer, Cranks, but it's interesting to see you reacted the same way as I did to the interior.

I wonder if this is an effect of globalization; East and Southeast Asia are big and growing markets for MB, and tastes there (from what I've seen in a few short business visits) tend to what might in Europe be called brash. Certainly the interior of the C I drove seemed designed more for that sort of taste than for mine, with too many colours and 'AMG Sport' logos splashed everywhere. Are MB's designers really thinking that these 'younger buyers' (who, let's face it, are going to be at least 30) are going to settle in, think 'great, this is just like my Clio' and write a cheque - sorry, sign a PCP?

And yet, as Avant points out, the factory would be perfectly capable of producing a blinged-up trainer for those who do want one, and a Crockett and Jones version for the grownups, all on the same line. As Honda's experience ought to show, you don't build your future by alienating the customers who gave you your present.
 Which auto? - PeterS
I have to say, I didn't thing the interior of the C class was that bad, but I guess I depends in how it's specified. I agree the AMG Sport (available with a 1,6 litre engine...) looks a bit bling, but the other look OK I think. But then I'm guessing that I'm probably their target market (albeit top end, age wise, at 42...)

tinyurl.com/obah626
 Which auto? - PeterS
As a further point, I'm actually sitting in Chichester Mercedes at the moment while they find me some more screen wash and there are two C classes in the showroom with the traditional grill. Both 63 reg, so I assume pre registered, but they are marked up with a pretty healthy discount. Or saloon and one estate. Will upload a picture later :-)
 Which auto? - Paul Robinson
Had a conversation last summer with someone from Mercedes marketing about the grill on the latest E class - I said I thought it looked like it belonged on a commercial vehicle and she just laughed .....
...while they find me some more screen wash...

Is there something magic about MB screenwash? And is using my trusted Halfords super-concentrate stuff instead the reason one of my jets is more of a trickle at the moment?
 Which auto? - PeterS

>> Is there something magic about MB screenwash? And is using my trusted Halfords super-concentrate stuff
>> instead the reason one of my jets is more of a trickle at the moment?
>>

No not really WDB, but the dealer is on my way home and Halfords isn't! It's not that expensive at just under £7 for 5 litres, and there's free coffee and biscuits :-). They even topped it up for me, so I didn't have to get my hands dirty...plus it smells nice!
 Which auto? - PeterS
There you go - a bit blurry; sorry! You can see the blanking 'plug' on the bonnet of the one at the far end with the large grill. Can't be too difficult to add the star to the bonnet!

tinyurl.com/og9ak5o

The white one was a C220 CDI salon; I assume in SE trim. The palladium silver estate was a C200 CDI which looked to be in Elegance (discontinued a while back I thought?) trim. I'm sure there's more to be had off those prices!!
That interior actually looks rather nice - although that view doesn't show the instruments or the touchscreen panel, which in the car I drove were a mess of red, black, white and green graphics and multiple typefaces. The seats and everything else were black, of course; it's amazing what a difference some lighter tones and textures make.

Or maybe, at 45, I was already too old to be worth impressing.
 Which auto? - PeterS
>> That interior actually looks rather nice - although that view doesn't show the instruments or
>> the touchscreen panel, which in the car I drove were a mess of red, black,
>> white and green graphics and multiple typefaces.

I thought that the dash of C class now looked a bit like this:

tinyurl.com/okh3rnq

but more grey/white than brown/yellow in colour. I'm guessing the green was for the 'eco' stop/start indicator. I like the level of info that can be displayed in the middle, but agree it looks a bit odd. Its just an evolution of the display in my '03 E class as far as I can tell. Very easy on the eye at night though, as long as the brightness isn't turned up too much...

The graphics on the central screen (not a touch screen I'm afraid) are very clunky compared to those in a BMW though I do agree. It is very easy to use though!
 Which auto? - PeterS
Yes, sorry for misleading you . A quick look at the online brochure shows that they've delisted what I think was called the luxury package, which included the traditional grill. Oh well, probably safer for any pedestrians you were thinking of running in to :-)
 Which auto? - Crankcase
The reason for losing the bonnet emblem was that "people stole them, sir". Long pause. "Although not often".

I'm not sure what I was supposed to make of that. (Actually, they didn't call me sir.)
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 27 Jan 14 at 15:50
 Which auto? - Bill Payer
I have an older C Class and I'm not a big Merc fan but it was just the right car at the time (early 2005) - there weren't many diesel auto mid size cars to chose from.

I'm way past caring about most material things but I do still like staring along the bonnet and being "guided" by the star. I think it would detract from the car if it wasn't fitted - I'd have to put a little pennant there instead. :)
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Mon 27 Jan 14 at 16:01
 Which auto? - PeterS
>> The reason for losing the bonnet emblem was that "people stole them, sir". Long pause.
>> "Although not often".
>>
>> I'm not sure what I was supposed to make of that. (Actually, they didn't call
>> me sir.)
>>

I had one snapped off once - it was only around £13 to replace (in 2003). Having taken a look at the ones in the dealer they all had a blanking MB emblem on the hole where the bonnet mounted star goes,a o presumably retrofitting one wouldn't be too difficult...
 Which auto? - Boxsterboy
It's a sad day when Mercedes-Benz delist the luxury package! I thought that was what these cars were supposed to be all about!
 Which auto? - NortonES2
Stuttgart taxi, a luxury? Common as Bratkartoffeln. It's all marketing and misplaced aspiration:)
 Which auto? - Boxsterboy
Yes, true. The power of marketing!
 Which auto? - NortonES2
I'd like one though! Just a small problem: kein geld.
Latest Forum Posts