Motoring Discussion > Yellow Box query Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 9

Yellow Box query - Rudedog
A piece of advice from the team please...

One of the councils that I drive through each day has recently decided to repaint some of the road markings along my route, now one of them is on a large round-about that has multiple exits and has traffic lights controlling part of it. They have now painted a big yellow box on one part of the road which I suspect is watched by cameras, but because the box goes around a quarter of the round-about you don't have a hope in hell to see whether the exit is clear from the the other side before you enter it and in rush hour you have a very good chance of being stuck with your exit blocked.

How should I now negotiate this road without being caught in the yellow box unable to exit.
 Yellow Box query - Manatee
Using a clock face, with exits at 6, 9, 12 and 3, I picture you entering the roundabout at 6, and the box covering the section of the roundabout from 9 to 12. From your position at 6, you cannot see the exit at 12, is that correct?

The question is, can you see the exit from where the box starts? If so, and exit is not clear, that is where you must stop - on the roundabout.

No box can work if you can't see the far side of the box from the point at which you enter it. Are you saying that is the case?
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 25 Jan 14 at 16:39
 Yellow Box query - Armel Coussine
>> How should I now negotiate this road without being caught in the yellow box unable to exit.

The simple answer is that you can't for sure. There are lots of yellow boxes like that. Provided you haven't been trying it on with all of them - it's usually a moot point whether you will get away with it or not - you are unlikely to get a NIP. If you get one you regard as unjustified, tell them where to stick it. You could easily win the argument.

'All motorists are criminals.' Stands to reason dunnit?

Yellow Box query - Rudedog
Yes you can't see the exit as the centre island is a large oval with tree/shrubs planted over it, so you have to hope that you aren't left stranded in the box before you enter from the other side.
 Yellow Box query - Bromptonaut
>> Yes you can't see the exit as the centre island is a large oval with
>> tree/shrubs planted over it, so you have to hope that you aren't left stranded in
>> the box before you enter from the other side.

If you're sure about that and can back it up with pictures then I'd suggest tackling the Council about it and recruiting the local press if you're fobbed off.

Come to think of it that national press (I'm thinking Mail here) love a 'bungling council' type headline.
 Yellow Box query - Shiny
Go at a snail's pace then it would take you two minutes to traverse the box, but never actually stopping.
 Yellow Box query - Boxsterboy
Yes, it sounds like a complaint may be in order. Thre have been stories in the past of yellow boxes that have been revised for just this reason.
What I said (why does no one notice?): there are lots of them. If you get an unfair nip tell them where to put it. You will probably win the argument.
 Yellow Box query - Robin O'Reliant
>> What I said (why does no one notice?):
>>

It's because you're too shy and retiring and don't speak up for yourself, AC ;-)
I think it's because the carphounds can't read. Or it goes in through their eyes and dribbles out through their noses, then after some time they think they've thought of something and write it down laboriously as if they were the first person to think of it. Something like that.
Latest Forum Posts