Motoring Discussion > One rule for us one for........... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 14

One rule for us one for........... - Old Navy
It won't make a dent in his pension, but it raised a smile.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545958/Traffic-Taliban-police-chief-fined-100-car-tax-date-Scourge-UK-drivers-nabbed-New-Zealand-sails-round-world-wife.html
 One rule for us one for........... - Westpig
Why do these people feel the need to discuss it publicly?

Easy enough mistake to make in a foreign country I suppose, but why not pay the fine and keep your head down, apart from family/friends.

I thought the man was a total tit when in office...so I suppose his need to share it hasn't changed my views.
 One rule for us one for........... - R.P.
Following a FB discussion on it. Much the same conclusion.
 One rule for us one for........... - Boxsterboy
The most shocking thing about that story is that a mere plod can afford a Halberg Rassy 53 in his retirement. They are seriously nice yachts. I am extremely green with envy!
 One rule for us one for........... - henry k
>> The most shocking thing about that story is that a mere plod can afford a Halberg Rassy 53 in his retirement.
>> They are seriously nice yachts. I am extremely green with envy!
>>
To be fair:-

... he declared he would ‘simply disappear’ with his wife, planning to ‘sell up, buy a boat and go sailing while we are still fit and young enough to do so’.
True to their word, they bought a 56ft Halberg Rassy 53 cruising yacht, which cost up to £400,000, and set sail in September 2010.

One rule for us one for........... - mattbod
He makes himself look stupid claiming "ignorance of law" in his appeal. As a former cop he should know that is no excuse.
 One rule for us one for........... - henry k
>> He makes himself look stupid claiming "ignorance of law" in his appeal.
>> As a former cop he should know that is no excuse.
>>
I agree. Not rocket science to check out the tax disk situation when buying a car from an outfit that speaks English!

On one of my visits to South Africa I discovered, when returning a hire car, that its tax disk was out of date. The car was hired from one of the big two, so beware we can all be vulnerable.
 One rule for us one for........... - Mapmaker
>> The most shocking thing about that story is that a mere plod can afford a
>> Halberg Rassy 53 in his retirement.

At only £400,000 it would be even more shocking if he couldn't.

This www.policemutual.co.uk/police-retirement/my-pension/commutation suggests he could have claimed a £250,000 tax-free lump sum on retirement. That would pretty much pay for the boat, and doubtless he'd have other savings too.
 One rule for us one for........... - Bromptonaut
He was a Chief Constable so hardly a mere plod. He retired after 30 years, I assume from Westpig's posts here that such is normal for coppers recruited under old rules but it may not be case for more recent joiners.

I'm not sure where Mapmaker gets the figure of £250k from The link suggests leavers can commute up to 25% of pension at rate of around £7 lump sum for every pound of pension forsaken. Similar rule in Civil Service pension, although lump sum of 3x pension is automatic for those who, unlike me, remained in the old Classic scheme.
 One rule for us one for........... - Westpig
>> He was a Chief Constable so hardly a mere plod. He retired after 30 years,
>> I assume from Westpig's posts here that such is normal for coppers recruited under old
>> rules but it may not be case for more recent joiners.

Up until about 2006 the service required to achieve a full pension was 30. After that it's 35 years.

>> I'm not sure where Mapmaker gets the figure of £250k from

A Chief Constable would get significantly more than £250,000 lump sum if he commuted his pension.

I found this, Old Bill are at no.7

tinyurl.com/qzv2j93
He sold his house in Colwyn Bay as well - would have paid for the boat.
I reckon he would have got nearly 500k if he commuted fully - So what really ? He worked for thirty years in a high pressure job (lot of the pressure of his own making). He was scrupulously honest, did not tolerate political interference in Policing. North Wales is amongst the safest areas to live and work in by several measures. He might not have been popular with many but at least he had a presence.

>> I found this, Old Bill are at no.7
>>
>> tinyurl.com/qzv2j93

They missed out the Judiciary who do roughly as well as politicians.

Tax Inspector is a pretty senior grade so I'm not clear why the example is a clerical post on £10k/pa. While an Admin Officer would start on more like £15k the suggested 10% pa increase is utterly detached from reality.
 One rule for us one for........... - Bill Payer
>> Similar rule in Civil Service pension, although lump sum of
>> 3x pension is automatic for those who, unlike me, remained in the old Classic scheme.
>>
My missus switched to the new scheme and ended up worse off, as prior Classic years count for less in the new scheme. I suppose we could put her £250/mth pension towards a Mirror dingy. :)
>> My missus switched to the new scheme and ended up worse off, as prior Classic
>> years count for less in the new scheme. I suppose we could put her £250/mth
>> pension towards a Mirror dingy. :)

I did same so as to secure a widow's pension for 'Mrs B' to whom I'm not legally married. My 35 yrs and 15 days service counted as 33.2 at my last day. I'm marginally better of as a result of accruing in 60ths v 80ths + lump sum but I need to live past 65 to be really winning.

My colleague and friend Paul, at roughly same age and service to me, took same option as he's gay and wanted to protect his partner. They subsequently entered a Civil Partnership which gave same rights under old scheme as marriage. Five years later they split leaving Paul needing a lump sum to reduce his mortgage when, like me, he took voluntary redundancy last November.

He'd have been better staying in Classic.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 28 Jan 14 at 22:10
Latest Forum Posts