Motoring Discussion > Cars banned. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 16

Cars banned. - Old Navy
A school run time car ban. Three schools in the trial, I'm sure it will spread.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-25913984
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Mon 27 Jan 14 at 20:57
 Cars banned. - Bromptonaut
>> A school run time car ban. Three schools in the trial, I'm sure it will
>> spread.

And quite right too. Nobody here is more than 3/4 of a mile from the Primary but even those with 9 or ten year old drive them there.
 Cars banned. - R.P.
Agreed.
 Cars banned. - Robin O'Reliant
One case of banning cars I fully agree with.
 Cars banned. - Boxsterboy
When our kids walked to primary school (10 mins round the corner) I never failed to be amazed by the number of parents who lived nearer to the school than us, and yet drove their kids there. Said parents and children were, strangely, amongst the largest at the school!
 Cars banned. - Cockle
Exactly.

When I walked ours to school, like you about 10 minutes, I used to pass a woman at the top of our road putting her kids in the car. As I said goodbye to mine at the school gate she'd be driving up and down looking for a parking space, I'd walk home and be drinking a cup of coffee by the time she made it back. My son was in the same class as her daughter and he said that she was always late for registration......
 Cars banned. - No FM2R
Annoying and perhaps silly behaviour on the school run, but do we *really* need more rules and regulations?
 Cars banned. - Armel Coussine
>> do we *really* need more rules and regulations?

Quite right FMR, it's ridiculous and oppressive. There are perfectly good reasons why someone might want to drop a child off by car, the most obvious being that they may have to continue on their way to work or whatever else they do.

I'm irritated by lots of things, but I don't run about trying to get them all banned. What damn selfish busybodies people can be.
 Cars banned. - Bromptonaut
>> Annoying and perhaps silly behaviour on the school run, but do we *really* need more
>> rules and regulations?

I suspect the people who live in the affected road would not agree. It's bad enough round our primary and it's on the High St. In a cul de sac it would be insufferable. We have junior rugby tournaments nearby about four times a year. Folks park leaving just enough space for a car to squeeze by. Chaos while they arrive/depart. Imagine it every school day.....

Of course it needs more than just a ban which risks decanting the problem into surrounding streets (though at least that spreads the load). Surely children in years five and six (at the minimum) can walk alone or in groups or cycle/scoot?

For the younger ones perhaps parents could be encouraged to set up a 'walking bus'.

Cars banned. - rtj70
I can why some parents needs to drop the child at school if then driving to work. If it's a ten minute walk, then to walk there and home to get the car is 20 minutes. Might not leave enough time to get to work.

The nearest primary school to us is no more than 10 minutes walk away. But there's a few primary schools in the area and you don't always get children into your preferred school. So it could be one that is 30 minutes walk away. Or one that's about 20 minutes walk. Hence the use of cars.
 Cars banned. - WillDeBeest
Hence a small fraction of the use of cars. What Cockle describes is far more prevalent, especially in towns.
 Cars banned. - Fenlander
Daft idea... more ghastly rules that have the potential to cause confusion. Wonder if the teachers that just miss the start of the ban time will be allowed to drive to their on-site parking spaces?

All that was needed was well though out parking restrictions... and for them to be enforced.
 Cars banned. - Old Navy
I wonder if it will just move the problem to surrounding streets.
 Cars banned. - Fenlander
>>>just move the problem to surrounding streets.

Of course it will... didn't the planners think of that?
 Cars banned. - CGNorwich
Hopefully it will deter a few from using their cars to drop off children. For those that continue to use their cars it should stop the cluster of illegal parking and dangerously manoeuvring cars right outside the school gates.

Very few people seem to be able to walk anywhere these days. I try to avoid to the car for anything under two miles. When I mentioned to my neighbour in her thirties that I nearly always walk to the city some two miles distant she seemed to think it was incredible that anyone could or would walk that distance. No wonder everyone is so fat.
 Cars banned. - Ted

About 1970, I was tasked to do a week's police survey on the parking here....

goo.gl/maps/cjcCy

A girls direct grant school, lots of parent deliveries as it was used by them as could pay...and they lived all over the place and had cars. I doubt many girls lived near enough to walk.

Parents used to park on the main ( but not very main ) road outside the school and 3 or 4 buses would park on the right opposite them. The school, at that time, had an 8ft high brick wall all the way down this road and up the side road. The major concern was girls coming from between the parked cars to get to the buses.

The side road just had the wall on it's right and there were no problems parking there....except nobody did ! My report suggested making the main road, right outside the school gate into a buses only parking space and re-routing then so they faced away from the camera. No parking would be permitted where the buses used to be. Drivers of cars would be encouraged to pick up and drop off kids by the wall on the side road.

This meant girls had a short, safe walk round the corner to mummy's car and those taking the school bus just had to cross the pavement.

It never got implemented although I think the usual ' school gate ' restrictions and double yellers are in force now.

SWM attended this school, although she got the bus with her local friends. I met her by hanging around the bus stop in the afternoon and at youth club. Gross Gott ! I could have married one of the others !

HO
 Cars banned. - Ted

Just reminded me of something looking at that area. The side road continues to the right of the camera. Victoria Road.

In one of the larger Victorian houses were homed a real troublesome family of scrotes...the whole lot were thieves, burglars and drunks. Late one night we got a complaint of noise at the house and , of course, we arrived mob-handed to join in the fun. Well, the visit turned into a fracas in the front garden after a bit of goading on our part. I ended up with 80odd year old Granny on my back trying to claw my eyes out. She wasn't very heavy and a good throw found her on her back in what passed for a rockery before being flung in the J4 van with the others.

A complaint of assault was levelled against innocent little me. No IPCC then, things were dealt with by the Super.

A couple of weeks later I was called in to see the Chief Superintendent who told me the complaint had been investigated and found to be untrue.....phew !

As I reached for the door handle to leave I heard him say 'Make sure you hit the bitch harder next time ! '

Bless him !

Sorry for the drift !

HO
Latest Forum Posts