Motoring Discussion > Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 26

Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - Alanovich
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-25963780
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - henry k
Its that neighbour from ACROSS the street !!!

Just pop the sugar in the Boot ?
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - Haywain
Another 'automatic' :-(

Am I the only nutter in the country who spots the significance of all these out-of-control automatics. I'm surprised that motoring organisations haven't woken up and featured it on popular t.v.
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - movilogo
Build quality of our houses don't justify slave-of-banks-for-rest-of-your-life price tags.

If it were in another country, the car would have be mangled piece of metal with barely a scratch on the house.

Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - madf
They could try our house. Would not get past the gates...

The servants keep out the riffraff...

The woman put her foot on the accelerator rather than the brake.. from my reading...
Last edited by: madf on Thu 30 Jan 14 at 16:21
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - CGNorwich
Rubbish. A brick wall has little resistance to a sideways force whatever country it is in. Unless a building has massive stone walls the effect of a car driving into it going to be the same. A timber framed building as found in Canada and the USA would fare as badly or even worse.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 30 Jan 14 at 18:27
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - madf
>> Rubbish. A brick wall has little resistance to a sideways force whatever country it is
>> in. Unless a building has massive stone walls the effect of a car driving into
>> it going to be the same. A timber framed building as found in Canada and
>> the USA would fare as badly or even worse.
>>

Our stone walls (c1810) are 4 feet thick in places. The more modern part of the house (1900s) has thinner stone walls - about 2 feet thick.. Would not stop an arctic but the average car would discover its crumple zones very quickly...
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - No FM2R
>> Build quality of our houses don't justify slave-of-banks-for-rest-of-your-life price tags.

So, you're saying it is not what the house was constructed of, but the quality of the build? Do you know which bit was done badly? The cement, the foundations, brick manufacture?

>> If it were in another country, the car would have be mangled piece of metal
>> with barely a scratch on the house.

Which country might such a "strong" and high quality house be found? And what would be the main difference in build quality?

Or are you simply talking through something not originally designed for the purpose?
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - Dog
Blimming Citroen see! - what clowns buy these things that's what I want to know.

:}
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - jc2
On e of my sister's cars was hit by a neighbours who started his car-in gear and with "Krooklock" on clutch and steering wheel.
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - PhilW
"Citroen - what clowns buy these things that's what I want to know."

Solid as a rock - you could drive one through a brick wall.
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - PhilW
Backwards
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - Dog
>>Solid as a rock - you could drive one through a brick wall.

I'm with ^^this^^ Giza, and Jc2, as I started an automatic Riley Kestrel without taking the Krooklock orf many moons ago, and it shot backward into a garage door (not my one fortunately)
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - helicopter
Similar episode happened to a long departed friend of mine returning home with a car load of boisterous friends late at night many years ago -- he was shushing them to be quiet and not to wake the neighbours......

.....he then went to park his car in his garage ( built of asbestos cement and corrugated iron panels)......and promptly shot the car forward and straight through the far end of the garage causing it to collapse all around him in a cacophony of clattering much to amusement of said friends ........... and annoyance of his neighbours.

Luckily he was unhurt , the story grew and was embellished over the years and he used to have us in tears of laughter relating it . It makes me smile even to this day .....RIP Freddie....
Last edited by: helicopter on Fri 31 Jan 14 at 10:15
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - movilogo
I failed to understand how someone could report my original post as "offensive"!!!

IMHO, most new built houses in UK are of poor quality. In my own house (built in 1980s) floor squeaks and if I slam the door with little force, anyone sleeping in upstairs can sense the impact! Newer new-builds are even worse (told by people in the trade).

I didn't do any scientific study, but from visual observation, I found houses in Southern Europe or Asia are much stronger. I am not talking of multi-story flats with reinforced concrete but even 2-story residential buildings felt stronger.

I believe old houses are much stronger. I'm currently planning to move and when viewing both new and old houses, I found old ones have better build quality (they were made to last hundreds of years) and more spacious (unfortunately with higher price tag too).

We have one of the highest house prices in the world, yet we don't get good quality houses (which is built to last centuries).
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - CGNorwich
I don't understand the "offensive" thing either.

You seemed to have changed the tack of your argument though. Originally you said:

"If it were in another country, the car would have be mangled piece of metal with barely a scratch on the house".

Now this is blatantly not true. A brick and block construction wall as used in most houses in Europe these days has little resistance to horizontally applied forces like a car. It's just not designed too and has no need to be particularly strong in that direction. It's nothing to do with build quality or more spacious rooms.
My current house, built in 1971, is by several degrees of magnitude of a higher quality construction than my previous house, built in 1910.

What's age got to do with it? There are loads of shoddy Victorian developments that have long since been bulldozed as unfit for human habitation.
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - Old Navy
And some shoddy buildings rapidly thrown up after WW2.
>> And some shoddy buildings rapidly thrown up after WW2.
>>

And? There's been plenty of shoddy stuff built through all periods of history. We only think the old stuff was better than the new because the best quality old stuff has survived. As will the best quality modern stuff. You never see rubbish old buildings because they're all gone - giving the false impression that older buildings are better.

And let's face it, it's probably a good thing that most buildings aren't built to last for eternal centuries. We'd be less inclined to replace them with buildings meeting the requirements of modern life. I don't think my workplace could work in a 200 year old building, and I don't expec the building we're in will survive 200 years itself. No problem.

As for the seemingly uncriticisable Victorian housing, you can keep it. On the whole it's nasty, draughty, damp, cramped, dark, dank, noisy...........yeeuck. Never want to live in the nasty old rubbish again. Victorian terraces are like living in a corridor.
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - Manatee
>> >> And some shoddy buildings rapidly thrown up after WW2.
>> >>
>>
>> And? There's been plenty of shoddy stuff built through all periods of history. We only
>> think the old stuff was better than the new because the best quality old stuff
>> has survived.

It even has a name. Survivorship bias.
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - henry k
>> And? There's been plenty of shoddy stuff built through all periods of history. We only
>> think the old stuff was better than the new because the best quality old stuff
>> has survived. You never see rubbish old buildings because they're all gone - giving the false impression that older buildings are better.
>>
Really?
My 1930s semi is not very well built.
All the joinery is very poor workmanship. Stairs, floors, door frames, doors, windows everywhere is so bad. Putty was their Polyfilla and they did use a lot.
Folks smile when I tell them that it took me a couple of years to ignore the sloping landing!

From what I understand dear old Surbiton was a bit of a disaster area when it was being built with builders going bust , bodging etc.
What I know for certain is the roof timbers above my daughters flat ( in that area of Surbiton are a disgrace but survive) are obviously cheap second hand, or more, timber, cobbled together and looking not fit for purpose.

They do not build em like the old days!!!
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - No FM2R
For the avoidance of doubt, the scowly face didn't come from me.

It seems that you are confusing build quality and materials.
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - commerdriver
>> It seems that you are confusing build quality and materials.
>>
And joining in the fun of knocking anything in this country compared to the equivalent abroad.

Not a new pastime but, IMHO, a very boring one

The scowly wasn't mine either btw

>> And joining in the fun of knocking anything in this country compared to the equivalent
>> abroad.

Ain't it funny that those keenest to knock our country are precisely the same people who want to prevent people from these supposedly superior nations coming here and improving the situation because they don't want our traditional way of life eroded. Weird.
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - Duncan
>> Ain't it funny that those keenest to knock our country are precisely the same people
>> who want to prevent people from these supposedly superior nations coming here and improving the
>> situation because they don't want our traditional way of life eroded. Weird.
>>

Where is the evidence to support your theory?

Lots of links, please.
 Could I borrow a cup of sugar, please? - WillDeBeest
If Movi had cited design rather than build quality I'd have had to agree. House design here hasn't moved on much since 1930, although our lives have changed in almost every other way since then.

An architect friend of ours, Swedish but a long-time UK resident, finds it incredible that in a cold, rainy country we design our houses with nowhere to hang a wet coat or to dry our washing in the winter. And it amazes me that even now, no-one seems to be designing houses to be wired for the pervasive technology we all now use.

The current rush to develop won't help either, when we already make such poor use of the housing stock we have. It'll just create millions more mean, badly-designed little boxes that still have nowhere to keep a car (because of course everyone will use public transport.)
>> Lots of links, please.
>>

Oh, just ask any UKIP supporter/Daily Mail reader. Everything here is rubbish and gives you cancer, but we must control immigration to stop foreigners ruining the place. The internet's full of it, I haven't got the time to do your googling for you.
Latest Forum Posts