Motoring Discussion > Deadly windscreen wiper water Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 38

Deadly windscreen wiper water - smokie
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/10293519.stm

Who'da thunk it?

Deadly windscreen wiper water - MD
Everybody with a brain. Known it for years.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Old Navy
>> Everybody with a brain. Known it for years.
>>

No chance, MD. You have to have at least a doctorate in an "ology" to figure that one out.

A little common sense doesn't count. :-)
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - hawkeye
2:02 into the report "... put this (screenwash fluid) in your water well ..."

Apparently, only the blue fluid works ...

Strangely, the foreign expert didn't say she had actually found any legionella in anyone's "water well". Perhaps it was safer for her just to speculate rather than look for any pesky bacteria.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Dog
Oh well. I'll just have to find a new hiding place for me Absinthe then :(
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - paulb
In terms of "and your point is...?" scaremongering, this is up there with the current TV advert for Dettol or somebody's touchless handwash dispenser:

"Did you know that your handwash dispenser could be harbouring MILLIONS of germs?"

Wow, is it. Good job I'm washing my hands with soap and hot water immediately after touching it, then. And no, I'm not going to buy yet another battery-powered appliance for which they will no doubt stop making the refills in about 18 months' time.

/curmudgeon mode
Last edited by: paulb on Mon 14 Jun 10 at 09:01
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Zero
you only need to see some of the quatermass like substances growing in old washer bottles to realise this was likely.

I call this NSS Science.

(the last S is Sherlock)
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Cliff Pope
"Professor Hugh Pennington, an expert in bacteriology, said the advice to add screenwash was very sound - especially as it would also lead to a cleaner windscreen. "

He is straying outside his field of expertise in making the second assertion. Don't we need a professor of windscreen cleaning to verify that controversial statement?
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - madf
Of course, this research omits to mention that birdbaths are much more likely to be a cause of nasty diseases.. Look at all the carp in them.

Avian flue, LD, botulism etc.

How many people drink from your washer bottle? I think we should be told...
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Bagpuss
>> Avian flue, LD, botulism etc.

And some truly mad people deliberately inject themselves with botulism as that's what Botox is.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - John H

>> And some truly mad people deliberately inject themselves with botulism as that's what Botox is.
>>

Botox® is a trade name for botulinum toxin A.
Botulism (Latin, botulus, "sausage") also known as botulinus intoxication is a rare but serious paralytic illness caused by botulinum toxin.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Chris S
Reminds me of a recent news report that people who brush their teeth at least twice a day are less likely to get heart-attacks.

Some eminent dental doctor hypothesised how bacteria from the mouth could enter the blood stream and affect the heart.

It didn't occur to her that people who don't brush their teeth at least twice a day are more likely to be slobs who lead unhealthy lifestyles in the first place.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - John H
>> Some eminent dental doctor hypothesised how bacteria from the mouth could enter the blood stream
>> and affect the heart.
>>
>> It didn't occur to her that people who don't brush their teeth at least twice
>> a day are more likely to be slobs who lead unhealthy lifestyles in the first
>> place.
>>

No.
The latest research was a larger sample that backed up previous studies
May 19, 2005
www.perio.org/consumer/plaque-risk.htm
www.perio.org/consumer/mbc.heart.htm

atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/23/8/1309
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - FotheringtonTomas
>> Apparently, only the blue fluid works ...

You could use ordinary household bleach - about 5L to 50 or 60 cubic metres of water should be about right. Add a bottle of washing-up liquid, too, and stir well.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Mapmaker

>> You could use ordinary household bleach - about 5L to 50 or 60 cubic metres
>> of water

Wow, are you trying to fill a swimming pool?!
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Harleyman
>> >> Apparently, only the blue fluid works ...
>>
>> You could use ordinary household bleach - about 5L to 50 or 60 cubic metres
>> of water should be about right. Add a bottle of washing-up liquid, too, and stir
>> well.
>>

Yep, good idea.... don't just squirt detergent into the eyes of the motorcyclist behind you, shove a bit of bleach in as well.

Smart thinking Batman.

>> >> (recipe for enough screenwash to last for a very long time indeed)
>>
>> Yep, good idea.... don't just squirt detergent into the eyes of the motorcyclist behind you,
>> shove a bit of bleach in as well.
>>
>> Smart thinking Batman.

You OTOH have not thought this through at all, Harleyman. So now think about the concentrations mentioned.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Harleyman
>>
>> You OTOH have not thought this through at all, Harleyman. So now think about the
>> concentrations mentioned.
>>

If you'd though this through FT you'd notice that it's not just the contents of the screenwash that I'm objecting to, but the fact some that motorists don't a) have their washer jets aligned correctly thus producing aforementioned effect, and b) don't bother to check their mirrors before using screenwash to ensure that aforementioned effect doesn't occur.

It seems irony is lost on you, you're not a septic by any chance? ;-)
Last edited by: Harleyman on Tue 15 Jun 10 at 07:58
You wriggle like one of those Harley things going around a corner.
Seems quite likely, and it seems quite surprising, in retrospect, that no-one's thought of it before.

Who doesn't put screenwash in their cars, though?
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Arctophile
>>
>> Who doesn't put screenwash in their cars, though?

Car hire firms.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Ted

Like most fools, I've done some things which are later found to be a no-no.
I gather then, our professor wouldn't have been too happy seeing me sucking and blowing on washer pipes to see where the blockage was. ( although a blast from the oxygen nozzle worked better )

I'm still alive, though...........more or less !

Ted
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - bathtub tom
I'm sure many of us have ingested fluids we'd rather not have done when trying to syphon stuff.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Bellboy
i must be the only person that agrees with his findings
i can easily see that a mist spray coming through an open window could be breathed in and you get the spores on your lungs
some washer bottles i have to empty truly make you gip
i dont even like walking under shop aircon units for the same reasons
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - MD
Best go and have a Pint. The worry is going to do for me. Come on Ted and Dog and anyone else who can't stand the pressure any more. The Dog & Ferret it is then.

M.

Oh! and pick Pat up on the way.
Oi

there is a guy here with a thirst on.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Dulwich Estate
When the windscreen water spray from our seldom used Peugeot started to smell like dog's runny poo I decided to wash out the bottle and pipes. Even after flushing with hot water it all stank badly. I was on the point of renewing all the bits until I picked up a tip (probably from a well known honest joe type of motoring forum) to try Milton - the baby bottle sterilizing fluid.

I put a bit too much in and the water went a bit cloudy - but hey - no smell.

This was a couple of years back and my lungs don't seem to have been adversely affected.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Dave
But there was an incident here a year or two ago where a car caught alight after a fairly mild accident. They concluded that it was the alcohol in the washer fluid igniting from some source.

>> Best go and have a Pint.

bring Ratso along....he can pay !

Just bottled 40 litres of Great Eastern Ale today....a couple of weeks to leave it and I'll (hic ) report back.
Had a couple of Old Hookys at the weekend, amongst others. Visited cousin in Warwickshire.....another beer monster !

Ted
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - RattleandSmoke
I thought the beer was calling! Didn't drink much at all this weekend and feel fresher than ever :).

PS do you need electricity to make beer? I could do with putting my lockup to some better use. I thought about brewing some Manchester Cum Hardy in there, 9% volume.

No, Rattie. You'll need to boil a kettle or two initially to dissolve the treacle in the cans.
After that you can top up with cold and put the yeast in.

Then it's just a case of leaving it alone until the SG is correct and then bottling it with a little extra sugar. It can be left then until gluggable.

I just use plastic lemonade/fizzy water/coke bottles....have done for years with no probs.

Ted
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Pat
I'm already there and have the drinks lined up:)

Pat
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - bathtub tom
I remember brewing it in the airing cupboard. Doesn't it need a bit of warmth?

SWMBO was most unimpressed, but I reckon the clothes smelt wonderful. Perhaps why I don't do it anymore.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Brentus
What i found interesting about this was the numbers involved. As in the number of cases recorded per year. Was it 300 and only a small percentage were motorists in a country of a population of some 60 million. Good that they recognised thew fact and i am not disputing it. How comes this makes headline news.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Alastairw
Of course, in a properly designed car the climate control automatically selects recirculation when you use the screenwash to avoid nasty niffs and associated bugs. It does the the same when you engage reverse.

/smug mode off
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Bellboy
smug mode on/
wait till your car wont start and it is dealer only fix
biggy bucks
smuggy mode left on/
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Old Navy
Don't encourage him, he will be even more smug when he tells us his car is a perk that doesn't cost him anything.
 Deadly windscreen wiper water - Armel Coussine
>> smuggy mode left on/

Tee hee bb... (but I hope your battery's good because even an led smuggy mode indicator will run it down when you leave it parked at the airport during a two week break in myorka... )
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 14 Jun 10 at 23:21
dont tell me its a vw - cos they dont do that.
Latest Forum Posts