Motoring Discussion > New Car for me Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Paul Robinson Replies: 146

New Car for me - Paul Robinson
After over five years of slog as accountant/financial director, we now have a rapidly growing successful business with £20m turnover and a top 20 place in the latest Sunday Times fast track 100. I'm beginning to have to venture out from the back office and attend meetings with all sorts of business advisers and funding sources. I know how people will expect me to dress for these meetings, but what sort of metal overcoat (car) do the panel think is expected these days, in the circumstances? The other two directors, who have had to represent the business to the outside world have a Merc E class and a Volvo XC60. The budget is a monthly leasing payment of up to £500 ish. So what should I get to play my part well and not let the team down?
 New Car for me - Dieselboy
Howabout a Merc E Class or a Volvo XC60?

In a previous life of mine, the directors of the company I worked at drove:

Volvo XC90
Volkswagen Touareg
Saab 9-3 convertible
Porsche 911
Audi A8
 New Car for me - mikeyb
I guess as an accountant people will expect your choice to be quite sober. If you turned up to ask me for funding driving some exotica then it would raise questions for me.

E class says sensible to me (sorry Humph) but also one of the crowd. Volvo says sensible but not so much of a sheep to me.

BMW - slightly flash image, but less so now.

Lexus IS, VW CC?
 New Car for me - henry k
I think the same re " too much profit on display"
Same applies to all levels of services offered.
I have had tree surgeons, house decorators turn up to give quotes in flash motors rather than in a nice clean well signed Transit.

Son had the same sort of decision re replacement car.
Re opted for an M3 ( not new) and hoped that clients would see it as an ordinary 3 series.
If ever asked he would say a 3 series - the "little" BMW.
I have no idea if this poly has worked.
>> Howabout a Merc E Class or a Volvo XC60?

It's a logical thought, but the other 2 guys are 'customer facing' and I will be representing the business in a very different way ...
 New Car for me - sherlock47
One of my friends chose a Lexus 430? over the S Class for the very reason that nobody knows what it is. Turns up onsite or customers premises, and it is not perceived as being flash. When you get up close it still seems a lot of car!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sun 2 Feb 14 at 11:28
 New Car for me - Westpig
Jaguar XF 2.2D Luxury with a sober colour.

Satisfies the loyal Brit in anyone, quality product, frugal, looks the part, doesn't look too flash.
 New Car for me - Fenlander
Congratulations on the success Paul. Jaguar XF for me too... same reasons as WP and I really like them.

>>>I will be representing the business in a very different way ...

Dressing in a chicken suit, loud-hailer on the roof and signwritten car "Solutions4u"???
 New Car for me - PeterS
I don't think many people expect anything from the car you'll turn up in, and that's speaking as an FD! Most times they'll never know - if they've driven to you then who's to know which is your car in the car park, and if you're meeting with them then 9 times out of 10 it'll either be in a town/city centre where they'll never see your car, or in an out of town business park where again they're unlikely to know, or care, who's car is whose.

I've turned up to meetings in anything from a 1988 BMW 325i to a VW Up! to the LEC, and I'm fairly sure that most of the time absolutely no one noticed. Likewise I've had PE investors come to me from town in anything from a car club logo'ed Corsa to a Maserati. Now I noticed the Maserati because I'm interested in cars. No one else did...

But if you do want a new car I think you'd be hard pressed to beat either a 320d or 520d as the sensible, tax efficient, choice. In fact it's probably the default choice!
 New Car for me - Manatee
I'd forget the image and buy what you want, or need or consider sensible depending on your own attitude to cars.

The erstwhile CEO of the large plc I worked for used a battered 9 year old Merc estate. The FD at the time had a 6 or 7 year old Xsara I think.

Career managers who mostly hadn't a clue about cars went for new or newish 5 series, E class, or A4/5/6. No Volvos as I recall.

The younger more highly paid flash Harrys went in for Porsche, Maserati, M3, SL55 etc out of their own money while they still had big mortgages and big egos. One Q7, and a matt black wrapped Range Rover Sport also spotted. Classic case of spending money to try and look more successful and get rapidly poorer at the same time.

An entrepreneur friend of mine who's doing very well usually appears in a 54 plate CRV.

I met with a very successful contact recently and dismissed the very bling E220 AMG Sport coupe in the car park as too flash for him (he's in insurance). It was his, which surprised me, but he is a car nut and just gets what he wants, regardless. Already booked in for chipping. It didn't change my opinion of him materially, but I did uprate him a point or two for having a mind of his own.

If I wanted a luxury car I think I'd look at Jaguar if I wanted to be a bit different. Most people don't of course, they want to fit in. Probably not a great financial decision though, maybe buy late used.
 New Car for me - Robin O'Reliant
Surely in these politically correct, eco friendly times the modern Metrosexual male would turn up on an expensive road bicycle, covered in snot and sweat with a bulging lunch box on view under his lycra shorts?
 New Car for me - Dave
Maybe I've been out of the country for too long, but does anyone really care what you pitch up in? It's a little bit worrying if they do care, and it affects their business decisions. And even more worrying that people care what other people may think about their choice of car.
 New Car for me - Manatee
>> Maybe I've been out of the country for too long, but does anyone really care
>> what you pitch up in? It's a little bit worrying if they do care, and
>> it affects their business decisions. And even more worrying that people care what other people
>> may think about their choice of car.

Quite. Though it never does to be too flash.

I think it is a bit of a British thing.
 New Car for me - Zero
Merc E class says sober, sensible successful and reliable. The Volvo XC (or any SUV) smacks of arrogance and not caring about others, BMW says drug dealer and untrustworthy salesman, the Jag is STILL caddish and fly-by-night*

Its the Merc first past the post by several lengths.

*and yes I still want an XF sportbrake despite the blokes down the road regularly being carted off to the dealer on the back of a transporter.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 2 Feb 14 at 14:18
 New Car for me - Mikhail Ribbendik
>> The Volvo XC (or any SUV) smacks of arrogance and not caring about others, BMW says drug dealer and untrustworthy salesman, the Jag is STILL caddish and fly-by-night*

You do come out with some right r soles sometimes I've noticed.
 New Car for me - Zero
>> >> The Volvo XC (or any SUV) smacks of arrogance and not caring about others,
>> BMW says drug dealer and untrustworthy salesman, the Jag is STILL caddish and fly-by-night*
>>
>> You do come out with some right r soles sometimes I've noticed.

Well I am sure you would recognise it, being fluent.
 New Car for me - Alanovich
>> *and yes I still want an XF sportbrake despite the blokes down the road regularly
>> being carted off to the dealer on the back of a transporter.
>>

May I humbly suggest you take a look at the Mk3 Renault Laguna, if reliability isn't top of your wish list?
 New Car for me - Zero
yes but at least the Sportbrake has good looks to blunt the sharp stabbing pains of unreliability, alas the Goona doesentt. Ugly and spiteful, its not a good combination.
 New Car for me - Alanovich
Eye of the beerholder, and all that. Still think the Lag beastie.

:-)

P.S. - the Mazda's presented me with a problem...................I'll update my thread in a mo.
 New Car for me - DP
>> BMW says drug dealer and untrustworthy salesman,

Yes. Of course it does.
 New Car for me - Zero
>> >> BMW says drug dealer and untrustworthy salesman,
>>
>> Yes. Of course it does.
>>

I need a new photocopier, can you pop round and see if you can fix me up with something?
 New Car for me - DP
>> I need a new photocopier, can you pop round and see if you can fix
>> me up with something?

WTF?! I'd suggest the drugs would suit you better.
Last edited by: DP on Tue 4 Feb 14 at 14:44
 New Car for me - WillDeBeest
It's the Merc first past the post by several lengths.

Not sure I agree. If the 5 Touring ever had an 'image problem' it certainly doesn't now - it's a more elegant, understated estate car than either the XF or the current E.

But if you already have all the load carrier you need in the C-Max, how about something AC might term a gentleman's conveyance - either with two doors (BMW 4 - I've been one of four adults in a 2009 3 coupé - or Audi A5) or a style-first saloon like the VW CC? So long as it's not adorned with silly wheels or graphics, I can't imagine anyone feeling one of those would be over-ostentatious.

As for Subaru, which markets is it doing well in? Any in Europe, or only those elsewhere that are less sensitive to fuel prices? As Lancia became associated here with the one word 'rusty', so Subarus are regarded as 'thirsty', and that's about the worst thing a car can be these days. It hasn't the money to reinvent itself, so that, I fear, is that. Pity, because I like them too.
 New Car for me - Gromit
Subaru seem to be doing quite nicely in the US, Canada, Middle East and Australia. Why wouldn't they concentrate on them instead of the UK?

They can sell larger engined petrol automatics easily in those markets, but would have to develop an entirely new small-engined diesel product for the UK - a somehamarket in which they're restricted by import quotas. So why bother?
 New Car for me - Bromptonaut
>> They can sell larger engined petrol automatics easily in those markets, but would have to
>> develop an entirely new small-engined diesel product for the UK - a somehamarket in which
>> they're restricted by import quotas. So why bother?

But presumably, if legitimate in UK it would also be so in rest of EU?

That's a big market to cut out unless your (4WD all weather or performance) offer is too marginal all the way from Baltic/Poland to Med and Atalntic.
 New Car for me - Dog
Subaru are owned by Fuji Heavy Industries and Toyota have a 16% stake in them so they aren't quite boracic just yet.
 New Car for me - Lygonos
Subaru have been late to the 'do what it takes to get the CO2 down' party.

I think Mazda are at the forefront with their powerful engines and good eco figures (2WD CX5 with 148hp TD does the 119g/km trick), but the new Forester is pretty competitive if you want a petrol motor (2 litre NA petrol 160g/km, 150g/km for the automatic).

The diesel Foz doesn't use start-stop (which is a pile of poo for most drivers anyway) and manages 150g/km which isn't bad compared with similarly powered/sized 4WD efforts - the 4WD CX5 only manages 136g/km so it's not amazingly better)

New Car for me - MD
>> Surely in these politically correct, eco friendly times the modern Metrosexual male would turn up
>> on an expensive road bicycle, covered in snot and sweat with a bulging lunch box
>> on view under his lycra shorts?
>>
I think you need a dating site. o:-)
 New Car for me - Old Navy
>> Surely in these politically correct, eco friendly times the modern Metrosexual male would turn up
>> on an expensive road bicycle, covered in snot and sweat with a bulging lunch box
>> on view under his lycra shorts?
>>

Road bike? Don't you mean on a Brompton.
 New Car for me - Avant
A few years ago a Saab would have been the obvious choice for someone wanting to appear sensible and successful but without drawing attention to themselves too much. A Lexus is a good suggestion, and I think Audis still have less of the 'look at me, I'm successful' image than BMWs and Mercedes, and a lot less than Porsches and Range Rovers. If your business is British and proud of it, a Jaguar would suit you.

When in the 1990s I went out visiting client firms of accountants (we trained their students) and the car was often visible, I had a series of big Renaults: the only 'statement' they made was about the size of my family.

Above all choose the car that you want and that suits your lifestyle in general. Do you need a family car, or an estate, or a 4 x 4, or is there a second car in the family to do that job? If I were meeting you on business, I'd no doubt be interested in what sort of car you drove; what would come across as most natural would be something that fitted the rest of your life as a person.
 New Car for me - Armel Coussine
The car someone is driving says absolutely nothing about them, except to those who have difficulty telling reality from fantasy or fiction.

It may be borrowed, inherited, hired or just the only car left in the pool; it may just have been a very good deal; or the person may just like and be able to afford that particular model. All it says about the driver is that he or she is driving it that day.

To worry about the impression your jalopy makes on people is about as pathetic as you can get.
 New Car for me - MD
Try living in North Devon then Ludders. Oh! 'they' do so hate success and to be fair whatever one drives 'they'll' pick ruddy holes in it.
Thanks for the posts so far, I'd been wondering how many people would basically say 'it doesn't matter'.

The business is definitely international, so a British image is not an issue.

I'm interested in the last sentence of Avant's post - I'm nearly 56, our children have grown up and left home, no grandchildren yet. We have a 2012 CMax that my wife mainly drives, but it's very practical and tends to cover our family car needs. We live in rural north cotswolds, so a high seating position could be useful, I have a dog to transport at times, so need a hatchback or estate. I do need space for four adults sometimes. I do about 12,000 miles a year and 90% of that is within a 20 mile radius of home, so what would 'come across as most natural' in that context?
>> what would 'come across as most natural' in that context?

Can't remember its name, but one of those Rumanian things would suit, and would make you seem thrifty and sensible too being quite cheap although allegedly perfectly OK. Why spend more on a Qashqai or similar?
>> one of those Rumanian things

Dacia Duster... only took 24 hours to remember the name. Available with 4wd I think, capacious and practical, as well as very cheap. Quite adequate for rolling around on 12-mile round trips and a lot cheaper to buy and run than a Jaguar.

Of course the Jaguar would be a bit nicer if money was no object. Incidentally, are Jaguars really as unreliable as people make out, or are their owners finicky and demanding to an unusual degree? I often wonder.

The XF, which HJ liked a lot, is also very good looking, unlike the XJ which is a visual disaster.
 New Car for me - Westpig
>> Incidentally,
>> are Jaguars really as unreliable as people make out, or are their owners finicky and
>> demanding to an unusual degree? I often wonder.

tinyurl.com/knbtxst

JD Power survey 2013

Marques: Jag 1st....Merc 5th....BMW 12th

Individual models: Jag XF 3rd....Merc E class = 13th.....BMW 5 series...25th

Jag have been top for at least 3 years. Jag, Lexus and Skoda always do well.

Surveys, pah!
}:---(
 New Car for me - Kevin
>Surveys, pah!

You can own the most reliable car in the world but what's the point if you hate every minute behind the wheel?

Might as well call a cab or catch the bus.
Last edited by: Kevin on Mon 3 Feb 14 at 22:34
 New Car for me - Duncan
>> >> Incidentally,
>> >> are Jaguars really as unreliable as people make out, or are their owners finicky
>> and
>> >> demanding to an unusual degree? I often wonder.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/knbtxst
>>
>> JD Power survey 2013
>>
>> Marques: Jag 1st....Merc 5th....BMW 12th
>>
>> Individual models: Jag XF 3rd....Merc E class = 13th.....BMW 5 series...25th
>>
>> Jag have been top for at least 3 years. Jag, Lexus and Skoda always do
>> well.

Which? magazine doesn't agree.

1. Audi A6 95%
3. BMW 5 series 92%
4. Mercedes E class 91%
5. Jaguar XF 90%
6. Audi A5 90%
 New Car for me - No FM2R
I think its fairly simple;

What would you buy from choice? Do you want to be seen as the sort of person who buys one of those?
But is it a case in the British business world now, that the only sort of person you want to be seen as is one that drives a audi/bmw/merc/volvo/jag/landrover?
 New Car for me - NeilS
The XF is the obvious non Deutsch choice, classy, individual (but not as individual as Jags used to be in the company car park) but no space. I'd go well left of field and go for an Octavia vRS estate, 220 bhp petrol. I probably will myself for my next company car and I too will have up to £500 a month or up to £27,500 to spend. I don't want to be another suit in a BMW, Audi, a bit less less so Merc not because I don't rate the cars but I don't want people to think I drive a badge to try to show how successful or otherwise I am.
 New Car for me - Avant
Neil - that's exactly what I have - my third vRS estate. I thought of suggesting it to you, Paul, but you might feel that you were a junior partner alongside the XC60 and the German taxi. Actually I've had more compliments on my choice of car since I've had Skodas than I ever did when I had an Audi and a Mercedes.

It's a pity that your colleague has an XC60, as from what you've said about your lifestyle it would seem to suit you perfectly. But you could have a V60. Perhaps the choice could be between a V60, an XF Sportbrake and an Octavia vRS if the image is OK for you and you want a lower leasing cost.

Alternatively if you're going to keep the C-Max, something smaller and fast-but-not-flashy like an Audi S3 might be worth a look.
 New Car for me - Lygonos
At ~£500/mth leasing a LR Freelander probably fits the bill.

If you want to drive like a flange then a Forester XT.
 New Car for me - Dog
>>If you want to drive like a flange then a Forester XT.

Jeez! - I've never heard it called that be4 (musta led a sheltered life, somewhere)
 New Car for me - MD
>> >>If you want to drive like a flange then a Forester XT.
>>
>> Jeez! - I've never heard it called that be4 (musta led a sheltered life, somewhere)
>>
Flange has been around for years. Half the population has one.
 New Car for me - Lygonos
>>Flange has been around for years. Half the population has one.

I always thought it was the collective term for a group of baboons*

*Originally a joke term used in a comedy sketch (?Mel Smith) which appears to have found favour with some primate experts.

New Car for me - MD
>> At ~£500/mth leasing a LR Freelander probably fits the bill.
>>
>> If you want to drive like a flange then a Forester XT.
>>
Don't take the freelander orf road in a serious manner cos the transmission wind up will wind you up. British Leyland?
 New Car for me - Mapmaker
>>We live in rural north Cotswolds

>>what would 'come across as most natural' in that context?

Legacy, Legacy, Legacy.

If you must have a new car then a Legacy. The neighbours will still talk to you. If you're in a new 5-series they won't. You'll appreciate the 4WD too.

It's a totally 'sensible' car. It fits the Cotswolds. It's got lots of toys in the basic one. It's utterly not flash and it's a fun drive.
I agree that all Subarus are very popular around my way and there is a well regarded dealership close by. I did have one about 20 years ago and found it both expensive to buy and run for what it is, and I think I still feel the same. Perhaps I should go and have a few test drives and see if I fall in love...

My neighbours (who are all lovely) don't seem to be the slightest bit interested in cars, I don't think I've ever had a conversation on the topic in 7 years!
 New Car for me - Lygonos
Legacy has been discontinued in the UK so if you see one there will be a deal to be had.

All are estates, and prices vary from ~£18,000 for a 63-plate 2.0 petrol with Nav (couple of automatics on autotrader between 18-19k), to ~£22,000 for 2.0 diesel with leather and toys+.

Not idea what lease deals would be like.

New Car for me - Dog
I reported late last year that I had a Legacy auto for half a day and liked it mucho but, I was pleased to get back into my Forester as I like being high (without a needle)
 New Car for me - Avant
it's a shame that Subaru seem to be dying in the UK. They sell well in other markets, and they should ditch their useless UK importer and try a new start.
 New Car for me - Boxsterboy
If you are concerned that people will judge you by your car, what does a Subaru say? Absolutely nothing! Is that good or bad?

Given your requirements I would be looking at a BMW X3 or Audi Q5.
>>what does a Subaru say? Absolutely nothing! Is that good or bad?

Surely the aim is to say nothing.
I wouldn't mind a car that says absolutely nothing about me, infact a couple a years ago someone who lives up the road apologised that he hadn't waved when I'd passed him (in my silver Toyota) saying 'your car is rather inconspicuous' and I was quite happy with that. But I'm not sure that any car says absolutely nothing about the owner ....
 New Car for me - Lygonos
>>I'm not sure that any car says absolutely nothing about the owner ....

Whatever it sasys is 100% to do with whoever is doing the perceiving (including what the owner thinks) - I would suggest buying a car to portray a certain image to others reflects more on the owner having well-formed manipulative traits ;-)
 New Car for me - Dog
That reminds me, I could do with some new double glazing.
>> the owner having well-formed manipulative traits ;-)

I got this BMW so that everyone would take me for a drug dealer or unreliable salesman, and leave me in peace to get on with my lucrative pimping business.

'What'll she do mister?'

'Anything you like, guv, if you've got the money... there's a sliding scale, depending...'
I would suggest buying a car to portray a certain image
>> to others reflects more on the owner having well-formed manipulative traits ;-)
>>

I think that's a bit harsh Lygonos (despite the smilely) - for example 30 years ago, the consultants car park at our local hospital was stuffed with Volvos (I know because my father was one of them), were they all displaying 'well-formed manipulative traits'?

I guess what I'm getting at is - if you are going to take a particular role in a work situation, do you need to conform (play your part) in a certain way, in order to have the credibility to be effective and successful?
 New Car for me - Lygonos
>> the consultants car park at our local hospital was stuffed with Volvos (I know because my father was one of them), were they all displaying 'well-formed manipulative traits'?

... are you suggesting hospital consultants were not highly manipulative characters?

New Car for me - Zero
I won't tell you what Nicole (a nurse) says about consultants, the swear filter would explode.
 New Car for me - PeterS
My sister in law is a consultant, and she drives a 5 series...
 New Car for me - Zero
>> >>I'm not sure that any car says absolutely nothing about the owner ....
>>
>> Whatever it sasys is 100% to do with whoever is doing the perceiving (including what
>> the owner thinks) - I would suggest buying a car to portray a certain image
>> to others reflects more on the owner having well-formed manipulative traits ;-)

In business your car choice is to NOT portray a certain image. So yes you choose a car to suit those doing the perceiving, not the other way round.
 New Car for me - Roger.
>> I wouldn't mind a car that says absolutely nothing about me, infact a couple a
>> years ago someone who lives up the road apologised that he hadn't waved when I'd
>> passed him (in my silver Toyota) saying 'your car is rather inconspicuous' and I was
>> quite happy with that. But I'm not sure that any car says absolutely nothing about
>> the owner ....
My car says that I cannot afford a newer model!
 New Car for me - Enoughalready
Come on Paul you're the FD for goodness sake. Your co directors will no doubt upgrade on their next leases. So, I present to you... tinyurl.com/qbqgpt7
 New Car for me - Boxsterboy
Bit more than the '£500 ish' by the time a few extras and 'normal' mileage is factored in.
 New Car for me - madf
You'll find a Range Rover will endear you to your local car tower...

Local very rich business had a fleet of c 13 and half were in the garage all the time until the owner threatened to never buy another - so they were replaced foc I believe,,

It is no coincidence that Euro Car Parts sell a cheapo version of the self levelling struts...
Last edited by: madf on Tue 4 Feb 14 at 14:53
Isn't five BMWs enough already? ;)

www.leicestermercury.co.uk/DIRECTOR-JAILED-163-370-000-SWINDLE/story-12092216-detail/story.html

LOL - that's the problem with Paul Robinson being such a err.. popular name!
 New Car for me - BiggerBadderDave
I thought you were in Neighbours.
That's another black mark on the 'Paul Robinson' name ...
I'd like to meet your mother though, Mrs Robinson.
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Tue 4 Feb 14 at 15:46
 New Car for me - Zero
>> I'd like to meet your mother though, Mrs Robinson.

Given the choice of Dustin Hoffman and his Alfa Spyder, or you and your lexarse I can see why she traveled the road she did.
"Given the choice of Dustin Hoffman and his Alfa Spyder, or you and your lexarse I can see why she traveled the road she did."

I had a hot, naked, high court judge in the back of the Licksus last summer - sans panties and clearly wet.

OK, it was a canoe trip and it was the only place to change after the dunking. Damned privacy glass, I couldn't see a thing from outside. Rear and side blinds raised and a towel over the back of the front seats and it became a changing room. Of course, I spent 10 minutes sniffing and licking the leather where she'd been intimately sitting. But who wouldn't?
 New Car for me - Dog
hehehe! you are bad, bad, bad, Bad Dave.
 New Car for me - Lygonos
Next he'll be telling us about his snurging exploits.
 New Car for me - Kevin
>Next he'll be telling us about his snurging exploits.

"Snurging" added to my vocabulary.

I love the educational value of C4P.
 New Car for me - Dog
There's nowt as, erm, queer, as folk.

(*_*)
 New Car for me - Zero
>> >Next he'll be telling us about his snurging exploits.
>>
>> "Snurging" added to my vocabulary.
>>
>> I love the educational value of C4P.

Living in Basingstoke, Educated at the University of C4P.

Blimey. the mind boggles.
My Wife has had 'and here's to you Mrs Robinson' sung to her at passport control in Paris and New York!
'Coo coo coo choo, Mrs Robinson
Jesus loves you more than you can say
Hey hey hey... ' (or words to that effect).

Nice tune, totally meaningless lyric. Very sixties in fact. Tchah!
If you accept there can be an initial perception of your personality type or business ability due to the car you roll up in Paul you must know what would fit with the contacts this new success brings you in front of. Forgetting what your partners run, what do your oppos you will be meeting run?

And if you would feel more comfortable fitting in with them would that car type in turn fit in with you home situation, family needs etc.

Zero said >>>In business your car choice is to NOT portray a certain image.

For me that's spot on and as far as I would ever take it. I.e. avoid the few vehicles at extremes which might make folks question your sanity then just pick whatever suits you in the broad range left between the extremes.

Just had a look on Ling's site because it's the easiest to see real time offers and assuming you are looking £500+ vat there is a huge range of nice vehicles available enabling you to bias towards slightly sober or a little bit bling and anything in between.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 5 Feb 14 at 12:16
I was about to write something agreeing with Z (!) but FL's done it for me. Those who insist it doesn't matter have it wrong unless - like mine - your customers never really see your car. It's about being appropriate - or at least not being inappropriate. You wouldn't go to a serious business meeting in flip-flops or funeral attire, so you shouldn't go in a Beach Buggy or a hearse. If you start at the extremes of silliness and work inward you'll find you can pretty quickly narrow the range, which you can then filter through what works for you.

I suppose there's a philosophical question to consider as to whether the car counts as part of your personal presentation but I'd argue that it does. It represents a choice you've made - a big one - and will be noticed by those you're inviting to make a choice concerning you. Flashy (Range Rover Sport) and scruffy (base-model Astra) are as inappropriate as a cheap suit or a Homer Simpson tie.

But you still need to be yourself. Not everyone's a car aficionado, and if a clean Peugeot or Toyota works for you, it won't put anyone off.
Thanks for your thoughts David - problem is I've no idea what the oppos I will be meeting will run, this is new territory for me. The three I met on Monday had 62 reg Volvo XC90/ 13 reg Audi A7/ 63 reg Jag XK conv.

What do private equity types and senior investment bankers drive these day?
>> What do private equity types and senior investment bankers drive these day?

Aston Martins.

But they're not expecting you to drive an Aston, as they're making money out of you(r company).

But then I also know people like that who drive: Smarts, 10-year-old Jags. Not everybody is flash.
 New Car for me - Westpig
What do you want...maybe you should start there and work it into some of the above criteria.
The more anomalous and disparate the components of my 'presentation (!)' seem to other people, the better.

If it confuses them I don't want to waste time on them. If they don't approve they know where they can stick it, and if they don't know where to stick it I'll happily tell them.

Does this make me sound arrogant and rude? Actually I am modest and conventional and butter wouldn't melt in my mouth. But one doesn't want to be rumbled by all and sundry.
Amusing story today in the comic, with photos, about someone's dog being 'rehomed' after gnawing the front wheelarch out of his newish Aston Martin.

Yet another reason not to buy a modern Aston Martin... pity.
>> another reason not to buy a modern Aston Martin... pity.

And one can't help worrying just a bit about the dog which may have liked the taste of the resin... Glass fibre is horrible stuff that breaks into tiny sharp fragments and gets in your skin when you handle it. You wouldn't want to chew it.
 New Car for me - Robin O'Reliant
>> The more anomalous and disparate the components of my 'presentation (!)' seem to other people,
>> the better.
>>
>> If it confuses them I don't want to waste time on them. If they don't
>> approve they know where they can stick it, and if they don't know where to
>> stick it I'll happily tell them.
>>
>> Does this make me sound arrogant and rude? Actually I am modest and conventional and
>> butter wouldn't melt in my mouth. But one doesn't want to be rumbled by all
>> and sundry.
>>

The right attitude.

Personality trumps the car you drive every time, if you're loud and proud about yourself you'll get by. Those who won't do business with you because you haven't got the "Right" suit or the right car are nearly always pain in the butt types you're better off without anyway.
 New Car for me - Manatee
>> Those who won't do business with you because you haven't got the
>> "Right" suit or the right car are nearly always pain in the butt types you're
>> better off without anyway.

Never met one that I know of.

I'm a hired gun now. I recently went to with meeting with a client, at the offices of the firm they were negotiating a contract with.

Having met my contact there, I offered him a lift to the station afterwards. As we walked across the car park, l headed straight for the driver's door of a Noble M12. The expression on his face was priceless.

I forgave him for looking a bit disappointed with the Outlandish.
Does this make me sound arrogant and rude?

Yes.
};---)

Or, more charitably, like someone who can - or feels he can - afford not to conform. This works better in some contexts than others, and in the world that Paul and a few others of us inhabit, it can be risky. Yes, we'd all like to be that brilliant non-conformer who can turn up late and drunk, wear smelly tennis shoes and a fishing hat and pinch the client's bottom before delivering the perfect solution to the billion-dollar problem, but most of us have to express our individuality more discreetly.
>> turn up late and drunk, wear smelly tennis shoes and a fishing hat

I say, steady on Wildebeest... I don't like hats, I'm a stickler for appointments and it isn't easy to tell whether I am drunk or not.

Tennis shoes always smell a bit when they've been worn a bit. But if there's one thing that's annoying it's prats with sensitive little pink noses. They can sod off just for a start. Completely beyond the pale.

As for rescuing billion-dollar hustling schemes with a couple of well-placed insights, that isn't my shtick at all. I am in a far more modest line of journeyman labour... sorry and so on, but there it is.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 5 Feb 14 at 21:01
What makes you think I meant you, AC? But I see you've denied everything but the smelly shoes and the bottom-pinching.
};---)
I've never pinched anyone's bottom in my life. The odd pat perhaps, but not even a decent slap. I'm a gentleman, and wimpish with it...
 New Car for me - Avant
"...The odd pat perhaps..."

Careful, AC - she'll be after you....
 New Car for me - Ted

They don't come any odder ! :-)

HO
 New Car for me - Pat
He knows I have a soft spot for him.....:)

Pat
 New Car for me - Westpig
Hell, I can just see the tabloid headline..

"Trucking cougar goosed by old hack"
 New Car for me - Pat
:) :)

Pat
 New Car for me - Slightlyfatdirector
Hi Paul

I traded from a S60 Volvo to a new 520d Touring in 2008 and a number of eyebrows were raised at work.

The boss had agreed (when presented with the facts) that it was a better financial cost than a 12 month old V70 which would have followed more company tradition. Better MPG, lower Co2, better residuals, etc.

The Volvo is perceived here as much less ostentatious (by those that actually care), and I believe that this is the case with customers too (again, with those that care - many customers do not recognise brands, let alone models, and to them anything with 4 wheels is a 'car', and of no further note.

However, there are some people who would make a judgement call. I once worked for an MD years ago and we had two sales guys for a computer system turn up in two (low spec) Mercs. He looked out of the window, saw the two Mercs and instantly cancelled the meeting, saying they must be charging too much if that was what they could afford to drive. It is an extreme view (especially in the light of the fact that he in turn was driving an E class coupe....), but some people are like that.

My BM is now becoming un-economical to repair (it has been the least reliable car I have ever had....) and with 144k miles I hope to wave goodbye to it in the coming months.

I would like to go back to a Volvo, as really (imho) it is a little more 'humble'. Classy and quality, but not 'wave it in your face' flashy. Most Volvo models look really nice (note that the XC90 is soon to be replaced and is very expensive to run), but the XC70 (really well spec'ed), XC60 (nice kit, just face-lifted, but small discounts as it is a popular private sale car), and even V70 (again, a lot of toys fitted for the money, and big discounts possible) are all good.

The XF Jag I loved when it came out, but auto only (I like manuals) and not a very responsive auto on starting off (so I have read), and the fact the looks have become bland in my eyes put me off it. Audi's don't do it for me (my wife loves them, and inside they are very nice) but are as flashy as a BM or Merc.
I'm a bit surprised that no one came along and claimed that you can turn up in a VW Golf anywhere!
 New Car for me - Runfer D'Hills
You can turn up in anything anywhere in the end. Those who matter won't mind and those who mind won't matter.

Yup.
 New Car for me - Avant
"I'm a bit surprised that no one came along and claimed that you can turn up in a VW Golf anywhere!"

I might have done - it's true after all - but I got the impression that you were looking for something the same size as your co-directors. I read somewhere that more accountants drive Golfs than any other car, which is no doubt connected with their strong residuals.
My bet is that you end up with any one of Audi, Volvo or Lexus.
 New Car for me - Sandgrown
I recall an article in "Accountancy" magazine a few years ago (so probably out of date now) that said that the 3 series and Golf were the most popular choices for accountants.

Both my brother and I are accountants. I have had five 3 series over the years and he has favoured Golfs, so I suppose we are typical.

When I go on update courses it's noticeable that there are a lot of German cars in the car park, plus a few Jags and Volvos.

One of my colleagues tells me that when he was training one of his contemporaries came from a very wealthy family. Said contemporary lost the firm a good client when he turned up at the client's premises in his Aston Martin.

The new car has been delivered this morning. Looking back through the posts, the brand has been mentioned but not the model. You seem to enjoy guessing, so what do you think it is and how many posts until someone gets it right?
 New Car for me - Gromit
Audi A6 or VW Passat?
 New Car for me - Clk Sec
It's an XC60. I can see it from here.
Not A6 or Passat. XC60 already mentioned in threads, so clearly no. :-)
 New Car for me - Dog
A Trident Iceni.
Something to suit the cotswolds?

www.buyandsell.ie/images/media/04_06_2012/2183719_01_product_detail_large.jpg
LOL! It's a bit faster than that ....
 New Car for me - Gromit
Subaru Legacy diesel - possibly the lineartronic CVT? We mentioned Foresters by name, but not the Leggy.

And if not, why not? :-)
It's not a Subaru - did you read Clarkson's recent review in the ST .....
 New Car for me - ToMoCo
Lexus CT
I did consider one, but no...
 New Car for me - Clk Sec
I've got it. It's a Nissan Juke, and it'll almost certainly be black.

You'll be the envy of the executive car park, no less.
 New Car for me - Gromit
I'd pay very little heed to JC's opinion of any car :-)

I'm on my second: a legacy followed a Forester, and I'd need convincing not to have another when the time comes.

Anyway, Volvo V60?
 New Car for me - Zero
Kia Soul
 New Car for me - Zero
Nissan Cube
Jimny. Justy. Bipper.
 New Car for me - Manatee
>> Jimny. Justy. Bipper.

Sound like fellow squadron members of Biggles, Ginger and Algy.
The only thing that's right so far is that it's black. Not really my choice, but the cheapest lease price was for a black one ....
 New Car for me - Zero
>> The only thing that's right so far is that it's black. Not really my choice,
>> but the cheapest lease price was for a black one ....

www.classic-hearsehire.co.uk
 New Car for me - Zero
www.flickr.com/photos/70122983@N07/7160725105/
Lovely ideas Zero, but sadly over budget :-)
 New Car for me - ToMoCo
Mazda 6
Not a Mazda. If no one has guessed by about 10.30 tomorrow (Tuesday) I'll have to tell you, as I've got meetings for the next couple of days .....

Not sure how helpful this is, but the model name is really long!
 New Car for me - NortonES2
The "Mitsubishi L200 Animal Double Cab Long Bed Warrior" ?

Mercedes-Benz ML320 CDi Sport 4MATIC ?

Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TDI BlueMotion Technology 4MOTION ?
 New Car for me - Zero
Montague Mazda Bongo Friendee Auto Free top.
 New Car for me - Lygonos
Mercedes A250 Engineered By AMG
 New Car for me - Crankcase
Toyota Estima Lucida G Luxury Joyful Canopy

Land Rover Range Rover Sport Limited Autobiography Supercharged

Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 Super Veloce China Limited Edition

Rolls-Royce Silver Spur II Touring Limousine by Mulliner Park-Ward

Chevrolet Corvette Silver Anniversary Indianapolis 500 Pace Car Replica

Subaru Impreza WRX STI RA Spec-C

And so on.

New Car for me - Manatee
>>Toyota Estima Lucida G Luxury Joyful Canopy

I want one!
 New Car for me - Crankcase
Make room on your drive, then, for the Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard, Nissan Homy Super Long, Geely PU Rural Nanny and of course the Mazda Scrum Wagon.
Norton and Lygonos are getting warm ...
 New Car for me - Westpig
Merc it is then...but which one?
 New Car for me - Westpig
Mercedes Benz C200 CDi Executive SE
Last edited by: Westpig on Mon 31 Mar 14 at 23:08
It's a lot longer name than that!
 New Car for me - Avant
".... the model name is really long."

If that means a single word, the best I can come up with are Freelander, Panamera and (surely not - you're an accountant) Giulietta....or Insignia (if you were going for one of those you wouldn't have started this thread).

Or is it something like V70 D4 Turbo SE Nav 5 door.....

Freeloader perhaps - that ticks quite a lot of your boxes as well as being British-made.
 New Car for me - Avant
I've missed a few by posting that - what about a Mercedes CLS Shooting Brake?
Perhaps.... Mercedes 2.1 CDi 16V BlueEFFICIENCY C250 AMG Sport Edition Premium Plus
Correct David (plus estate) and yes it has come Ling - what a good service!
 New Car for me - Duncan
>> Correct David (plus estate) and yes it has come Ling - what a good service!
>>

Who is David?
>>>>> Correct David (plus estate) and yes it has come Ling - what a good service!
>>> Who is David?

Probably that Fenlander guy... so it's a Mercedes 2.1 CDi 16V BlueEFFICIENCY C250 AMG Sport Edition Premium Plus Estate!

Nice choice Paul.... and Ling too! She is hyperactive and doesn't take prisoners so I understand how some don't like her style but she's probably the most upfront and efficient business person I've dealt with in years.

Is that 170 or 200bhp? Did you test drive one?
It's 200bhp, so lack of power will not be a problem. I had driven one before, but not recently, so it was bought semi blind. I'm not disappointed.
Latest Forum Posts