Motoring Discussion > Service dept. opening times Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 10

Service dept. opening times - movilogo
Most dealers have their service operatate between morning and noon on Saturdays and closed on Sundays.

For most working people, it leaves only few hours of Saturday to take the car to them for any problem.

Why don't they keep service open full day on Sat & Sun (while their sales is open all 7 days till late night)?

They could actually keep service closed for 2 days in mid-week!
 Service dept. opening times - Zero
err no

Most servcing is done on company lease cars. Would never have caught me shipping my company car to the garage at the weeked. Thats a working hours job.
 Service dept. opening times - CGNorwich
Perhaps workshop staff might like the weekend off as much as you do.
 Service dept. opening times - movilogo
I am no way implying someone needs to work on weekend. It is just like NHS/AA/RAC etc. works. Some people work on weekends but they get other weekdays off in lieu.

Although my job does not allow it, I'd have loved to get days off in midweek instead of Sat/Sun :)

There can be a strategy where both sides will have win-win situation.
 Service dept. opening times - L'escargot
I used to take my car to the service department first thing in the morning, then drove to work in the courtesy car, and then picked up my car again after work. I might have been an hour late for work in the morning but for these odd occasions my boss didn't raise an eyebrow. He couldn't really, because when I worked overtime it was unpaid.
 Service dept. opening times - Crankcase
I've always managed to persuade my dealers to come and pick up the car from my workplace and return it before going home time. Much easier!

If there's an extra charge for this then at least it's hidden in the service price, which doesn't increase over the quote when I do this.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 14 Jun 10 at 12:44
 Service dept. opening times - Tigger
There was a company somewhere who tried to make 'overnight' servicing work. I don't recall seeing them for some time, so maybe it didn't work.
 Service dept. opening times - Fenlander
For 15yrs a while ago I was involved with servicing where every saturday and part of many sundays were normal working days. Many folks were very keen on this. No company cars though.
 Service dept. opening times - mikeyb
>> There was a company somewhere who tried to make 'overnight' servicing work. I don't recall
>> seeing them for some time, so maybe it didn't work.
>>
Think I recall the BMW dealer in Bristol trying it for a while - think the idea was you dropped it in on your way home and picked it up again going to work
 Service dept. opening times - -
If customers are prepared to pay twice the normal hourly rate for labour then this is feasable.

I don't and won't work Sats and Suns for normal rate why should anyone else.
 Service dept. opening times - JohnM{P}
Before VW/Audi split their joint garages into separate ones for each marque, the Bath garage offered overnight servicing, which was most useful. After the split, the reduced volume at the VW garage didn't support the overnight shift.
However, they are open until 7.30pm weekdays so with a loan car, dropping the car off after work and collecting it the following evening can be a good option.
Latest Forum Posts