Motoring Discussion > Highways Agency cashing in. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 7

Highways Agency cashing in. - Old Navy
It seems the Highways Agency is getting in on the speed camera bandwagon big time.

tinyurl.com/neklmx8 (Daily Mail)
 Highways Agency cashing in. - Fursty Ferret
I'd actually quite like to see these on the A41 stretch of dual carriageway from Aylesbury to the M25. Junctions and slip roads designed to be taken at less than 50mph, and tractors and bikes on occasion. With only two lanes there's no scope for error (which is why, actually, I don't object in principle to people bombing it down a three lane motorway as there's generally somewhere for them to go if something goes wrong).

I'm not a slow driver but it's not uncommon to see people bombing along in excess of a ton with no consideration for other cars that might abruptly pull out in front of them, having been dozing along and not noticed the tractor doing 15 mph.

Though I have discovered that the appalling condition of the road is quite helpful in dealing with tailgaters, since drifting about 6 inches over the rumble strip throws up an incredibly satisfying shower of grit and small stones. Not that I ever do that.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Mon 3 Feb 14 at 09:12
 Highways Agency cashing in. - Manatee
>> I'd actually quite like to see these on the A41 stretch of dual carriageway from
>> Aylesbury to the M25.

There have been some epic smashes on that road. Speeds are unbelievable, often faster than the average motorway.

The first fogs and freezing days of the year as often as not result in an accident that causes long delays. So predictable in fact that I didn't use it on those days. There's no hard shoulder on most of it*, or much shoulder at all, so anybody breaking down, having a puncture or running out of petrol is usually stopped half on the road which will cause a very long queue at peak times.

*the Tring-Aston Clinton bit, or Tring bypass, was built in 1973 to motorway standard - possibly linked to the serious proposals to put London's third airport at Cublington, which could have been handy for you. The road was actually the A41(M) until the 80s when it was downgraded.
 Highways Agency cashing in. - Dave_
It doesn't read like that to me. The HA manage the managed motorways to keep traffic flowing, and have a responsibility to look at new ways of achieving that in a more effective way. They aren't funded from speeding tickets and certainly don't "extract money from drivers". Roger Lawson of the ABD is an idiot.

In any case, the DM article in the link contains so little information they've had to repeat the first four paragraphs to pad it out.
 Highways Agency cashing in. - Old Navy
>> In any case, the DM article in the link contains so little information they've had
>> to repeat the first four paragraphs to pad it out.
>>

I was not promoting the quality of the messenger. :-)
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Mon 3 Feb 14 at 09:29
 Highways Agency cashing in. - Shiny
DO NOT WANT!
tinyurl.com/qevqvvd
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Mon 3 Feb 14 at 11:35
 Highways Agency cashing in. - borasport
>> DO NOT WANT!
>> tinyurl.com/qevqvvd
>>

????

list of 37 consultations on the .gov website containing the word 'speed' ?
 Highways Agency cashing in. - Shiny
What do you mean ?????
That is where you tell them you do or don't favour the proposals.
I said no to the one of those mentioned in the OP.
For those not listed yet, subscribe to the RSS feed.
Latest Forum Posts