Motoring Discussion > Open Source car - Tabby Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 8

Open Source car - Tabby - Crankcase
If you're not techy, "open source" basically means anyone can add/modify designs or components as they want. All the blueprints and so on are freely available and there's a forum to discuss it all.

So here is a UK road legal "car" which can be built in about an hour, allegedly, for not much money (as in under 5k). You get to choose whether you want internal combustion or electric or hybrid, or if so inclined, design something yourself.

More of a golf cart than a car but an interesting concept anyway.

www.osvehicle.com/urban-tabby-info/

Open Source car - Tabby - IJWS14
Open Source means it is a free licence to use the intellectual property.

You still have to pay for the bits.

IIRC the must fit provisions in the Patents Act protected the pattern parts industry so you can still buy aftermarket parts for cars.

Who would I want a car designed by a group of unidentified and potentially unqualified geeks . . . . . . . . . .
 Open Source car - Tabby - Robin O'Reliant

>>
>> Who would I want a car designed by a group of unidentified and potentially unqualified
>> geeks . . . . . . . . . .
>>

That nicely describes a few cars I've owned...
 Open Source car - Tabby - bathtub tom
>>Who would I want a car designed by a group of unidentified and potentially unqualified geeks . . . . . . . . . .

I suppose you weren't around in the '70s to drive anything designed and built by the 'experts' at British Leyland?

Actually, that could include Ford, Vauxhall, Rootes group, et al (and anything French today)!
 Open Source car - Tabby - swiss tony
>> >>Who would I want a car designed by a group of unidentified and potentially unqualified
geeks . . . . . . . . . .
I suppose you weren't around in the '70s to drive anything designed and built by the 'experts' at British Leyland?
Actually, that could include Ford, Vauxhall, Rootes group, et al (and anything French today)!
>>

And yet, today there are more recalls, in service mods, enhancements - call them what you will - than there ever was in the past.
At the moment there is at least one model of car, that has been withdrawn from sale (you can't even get a road test in one!!) because of major issues..
People waiting to have theirs delivered will be given a temporary car whilst the issues are resolved...
 Open Source car - Tabby - sherlock47
>>>At the moment there is at least one model of car, that has been withdrawn from sale<<<

and it is?
 Open Source car - Tabby - swiss tony
>> >>>At the moment there is at least one model of car, that has been withdrawn from sale<<<
>>
>> and it is?
>>

A hybrid.
From a well respected manufacturer...

More than that I can't say.

You can find out though, by attempting to book a test drive...
 Open Source car - Tabby - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> And yet, today there are more recalls, in service mods, enhancements - call them what
>> you will - than there ever was in the past.
>>

But how strict were they on recalls in the past?
 Open Source car - Tabby - R.P.
VW ?
Latest Forum Posts