Motoring Discussion > Mystery Shopper? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 14

Mystery Shopper? - Duncan
I subscribe to Which? magazine.

I recently had an email asking if I would like to help in a garage servicing survey. If I agreed a mechanic would come to my house, make four faults in my car (low tyre pressure, low brake fluid and a couple of other easily spotted faults), I would then take my car to a garage of their choice and have it serviced.

The idea being, of course to see if the garage rectified the faults. Which? would give me £100 toward the cost of the servicing.

What do you think?
 Mystery Shopper? - Dog
I think I could buy 8 x 20kg bags of coal for £100.

(*_*)
 Mystery Shopper? - PeterS
Does your car actually need servicing? It sounds like they're not offering to actually pay, but contribute £100 to the cost. Depending on where they choose that might or might not deliver an actual saving! I think I'd rather use my preferred garage, unless Which? are prepared to warrant any work done...

Mystery Shopper? - Zero
Now if they offered you 100 quid to spend in Wetherspoons....
 Mystery Shopper? - Focusless
When they tell you which garage, ring the garage up and ask how much it's worth to them to be told when the car's coming in and what 'faults' it's got. Could be on to a winner there:)
>> When they tell you which garage, ring the garage up and ask how much it's
>> worth to them to be told when the car's coming in and what 'faults' it's
>> got. Could be on to a winner there:)
>>

I thought of that. I considered going along with it to see how it panned out. If it was the garage I normally use, let things go ahead, but tip them off and still get the service done where I normally go and get £100 off the bill.

All things considered, I don't think I can be bothered.
>> Does your car actually need servicing? It sounds like they're not offering to actually pay,
>> but contribute £100 to the cost. Depending on where they choose that might or might
>> not deliver an actual saving! I think I'd rather use my preferred garage, unless Which?
>> are prepared to warrant any work done...

Yes, it does need servicing - or will do in the next month, or so. The 100 quid is a payment for assisting in the exercise. I will still have to pay the garage bill.

I think that I would prefer to stick with my regular garage, where I have been going since Adam was in short trousers.

Although I suppose I can still spend the money in Wetherspoons?
 Mystery Shopper? - BobbyG
I have recently seen an advert in the local press here for Mystery Shoppers to buy cars.

You basically need to go through the whole negotiating a deal process right up to signing on the dotted line.

And you get paid for it.

Now that is something that I wouldn't mind doing!
 Mystery Shopper? - NortonES2
Sounds like a lot of pain. Presumably you have to be quite careful not to sign. And hope the narked salesmen don't forge a signature after you leave the showroom, quickly.
 Mystery Shopper? - Boxsterboy
It sounds like entrapment to me. I wouldn't want to be part of it.
 Mystery Shopper? - CGNorwich
Entrapment? How so? Hardly encouraging a garage to commit a crime is it. Perfectly reasonable way to check on a garage's performance.
 Mystery Shopper? - BobbyG
Exactly - I assume it would be on behalf of one of the big chains and it would be to see how you were treated but probably also to make sure you offered the right finance deals etc.

The cynic in me would say that in this day and age, awards like IIP, ISO etc probably require some sort of independent review of your staffs performance. This would probably tick those boxes.

Mystery Shopper? - Aretas
I would much rather take my car to a garage I know and trust.
Who pays to sort the problem if the Which chosen garage doesn't spot the faults? i.e. low brake fluid may leave you with air in the system. And if it is a carp garage they may leave all sorts of other things not done.
 Mystery Shopper? - J Bonington Jagworth
"I recently had an email"

I'd check that carefully. Lagos is a long drive.. :-)
>> "I recently had an email"
>>
>> I'd check that carefully. Lagos is a long drive.. :-)
>>

I think it's ok.

He seems a very nice honest man.

If I pay him up front for the service, he will give me all my money back.

I don't see how I can lose?

;-)
Latest Forum Posts