Motoring Discussion > insurance premium increased - non fault accident Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: milange Replies: 5

insurance premium increased - non fault accident - milange
Hi

I am hoping someone might be able to assist me.

My car was hit whilst parked up in September, I claimed off the third party who admitted liability. My insurance then went ahead and repaired my vehicle because I am fully comp.
However my insurers are having to chase the third party for the money now and my insurers have changed the status of the claim from non fault to fault whilst trying to reclaim the money. Are they right in doing this even though liability was accepted by the third party?

Also, my car insurance is now due and because they have changed the status to a fault claim they have bumped by insurance up dramatically and have said that once the money has been recouped then i will get money back from the premium and will honor my no claims for the year. Is this also right?

At a bit of a loose end as they are the cheapest insures across the board for me at the moment on all comparison websites but I am being penalised for an accident that was not my fault.

Any advise would be a great help.
Thank you
 insurance premium increased - non fault accident - RattleandSmoke
Seems wrong to me, I was rear ended a couple of years back, his car a write off, but my Panda suffered just a cracked bumper.

Anyway he tried to deny it was his fault, but my insurance company said there is no way he can argue against it. It took my insurance 18 months to get the money of the third party but the status of the accident always stayed at non fault and it never cost me anything.

I am sure you will get the money back. I got some money back of my old insurer who falsely sold me a no claims bonus protection scheme that was no such thing. They listened to old telephone recording and then gave me some money back.

So all the calls you make will be recorded. You might want to write to them though and get them to confirm in writing you will be refunded the difference once they know it wasn't your fault.
 insurance premium increased - non fault accident - VxFan
>> my car insurance is now due and because they have changed the status to a fault claim they have bumped by insurance up dramatically and have said that once the money has been recouped then i will get money back from the premium and will honor my no claims for the year.
>> Is this also right?

Yes it is, and I sympathise with you.

The same happened to me while the third parties insurer waited for their client to admit liability to them. He never actually did, but having CCTV proof that he reversed into me, and also a witness statement they finally admitted a “without prejudice acceptance of blame” on his behalf.

btw, it took approx 6 months to sort it all out. Mainly because the third party ignored all correspondence from his insurer.

Full story here:-
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=5730

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=5730&m=187240

Good luck, and keep pressing your and his insurer.
 insurance premium increased - non fault accident - swiss tony
>> At a bit of a loose end as they are the cheapest insures across the board for me at the moment on all comparison websites but I am being penalised for an accident that was not my fault.

One reason I wont go for the cheapest.
I used to, until I made a claim - nightmare! I ended up getting my father to take me to their office, the best part of 100 miles away to hand deliver documents that they kept losing even when sent recorded delivery!
 insurance premium increased - non fault accident - Auristocrat
The discount you receive on your insurance premium is a No Claim Discount - not No Blame Discount.
You've made a claim and until the insurance company gets the repair costs for your vehicle back from the third parties insurer, I suppose they are within their rights to denote it a fault claim.
 insurance premium increased - non fault accident - Shiny
A few times bitten, now shy...
I would only use my own insurance as a last resort.
I do not inform them of anything that would make the premium rise as you are still legally insured anyway due to EU rules.
I would rather wait for the repair to be done or pay myself while claiming against the third party.
If possible use a claims management company such as SytnerDrive or Helphire if it includes free insurance against unrecoverable claims.
Latest Forum Posts