Motoring Discussion > Bike city... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 1

Bike city... - Armel Coussine
We're in Islington since yesterday. wih the concomitant parking worries. The number of bikes here is phenomenal. Walking along Islington ridge a couple of hours ago I counted 13 bikes at a red light (only one folding small-wheel job Bromtonaut), with more coming up behind. Most are visible but a few aren't, some without lights altogether. And they often overflow the bike lane - it's a very tight speed bump and chicane-ridden road from Sadler's Wells to (almost) that huge great white-painted jail in the Cally where they keep suspected illegal immigrants, or used to, along with hundreds of old lags.

I've had a pretty useless day but at least the jalopy is purring again with its new exhaust. Stroked it through a lot of familiar urban miles in second, third and fourth gears, top being good only for 30-plus and not up anything too steep. So refined has it been that when the gearbox oil got really hot I started to hear the 100,000 mile old final drive whining faintly under certain conditions of overrun. Herself heard it eventually but it's a very long way from being worthy of attention. However the Sheikh with his highly tuned rave-music ears would certainly be considering a new car.

However even the Sheikh couldn't feel more pathetic and provincial here than I do these days. As bad as ON and other whining people from the outer fringes, terrified of stopping anywhere in the most ridiculous way. Really shameful. A touch of dementia perhaps.

Still good, the chubby Chrysler.
 Bike city... - Boxsterboy
Don't worry Lud, you're not the only one to feel the pace of life in London is going too fast at times - and I still work there! I think it's called 'progress'. And, as you have observed, the number of cyclists in London is such that our old roads really don't have much chance of handling them all, together with the other traffic that a busy vibrant city demands. I mean, did you see the amount of redevelopment in Kings Cross?M

Glad to hear the Cruiser is still cruising nicely/Sorry to hear you need a new car *

(* delete as applicable)
Latest Forum Posts