Motoring Discussion > Tech Tips - A Bit of Blu Tack Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 7

Tech Tips - A Bit of Blu Tack - Bromptonaut
Day trip to Calais tomorrow. Quick checkover of newer 'lingo detected neither interior 12v power socket was working. Sure enough both (and nothing else) are on same 30amp fuse.

After a deal of sweariness about it's inaccessibility at the left extremity of a cavity in the glove box , couldn't get a thumb/forefinger anywhere near it, I managed to extract it with needle nose pliers. Application of multimeter confirmed it as deceased. Fastest round trip ever to Helfords secured a couple of spare 30A plus a mixed pack of other ratings.

Couldn't for life of me work out to get new one in. Angle too tight for pliers and could barely get even a finger near**. More (lots more) sweariness then brainwave. Suck it to end of a long thin flat baded screwdriver with a blob of blue tack!! Went in like a dream (and the one dropped into bowels of dash recovered by same means) Screwdriver and blob now allocated to live in that car!!

**There's a G Spot analogy somewhere!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 16 Feb 14 at 17:32
 Tech Tips - A Bit of Blu Tack - Runfer D'Hills
>> neither interior 12v power socket was working...
>> for life of me work out to get new one in. Angle too tight

Ah, French cars, don't you just love them?

Characterful eh? A bit like that slightly embarrasing cousin you kind of have to invite to parties and weddings. The one who looks like he's borrowed the suit. From Oxfam.

;-))
 Tech Tips - A Bit of Blu Tack - henry k
You need a car fuse puller ( not joking)

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLADE-GLASS-FUSE-PULLER-INSERTION-TOOL-STANDARD-ATS-CAR-BOAT-FUSES-BOX-FUP2-/360564265079?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item53f34e1077

Ah! This is the type I have. much smaller.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automotive-Fuse-Puller-/300430953244?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item45f3148b1c
Last edited by: henry k on Sun 16 Feb 14 at 18:49
 Tech Tips - A Bit of Blu Tack - Bromptonaut
>> You need a car fuse puller ( not joking)

There's supposed, per handbook, to be one of those in car but I couldn't find it. Suspect Mrs B got to it first and put it somewhere sensible. Was acutely aware of both impending Halfords close time and diminishing daylight so limited time for faffing.

Anyway, were set for 04:00 depart tomorrow and have facility to charge phone/tablet etc. The latter has replaced her Kindle as producer of silence.....
 Tech Tips - A Bit of Blu Tack - rtj70
Can't remember which car it was, but one of my previous cars had a fuse puller clipped into the fuse box. Handy.
 Tech Tips - A Bit of Blu Tack - Robin O'Reliant
Blu Tac is sooooo unmanly.

A real man would have fired it in from a catapult.
 Tech Tips - A Bit of Blu Tack - Ted

The fuse puller used to be clipped in the lid on many cars. Any road up, what's wrong with a bit of T & E copper cable shaped like a U....Halfords ? Pah !

HO
 Tech Tips - A Bit of Blu Tack - Avant
Clearly Mrs B doesn't trust Mr B with anything that pulls, especially in France....
Latest Forum Posts