Motoring Discussion > Car hire in the U.S.A Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Videodoctor Replies: 8

Car hire in the U.S.A - Videodoctor
I will be travelling to Texas in a couple of months and need to hire a car.Last year i used Enterprise and was very pleased with them,but this year i have to drive to another state and leave the car there and they want $999 collection fee!

I want to use a large company as i have to drop the car at New Orleans airport.

I have been looking at Hertz,Avis,Budget etc,with Hertz being the cheapest quote.
I have been reading reviews on these companies and all of them have less than glowing reviews.

Has anyone used the above companies and had no trouble with them?I am talking about charging your card for things you didn't ask for etc.

Are there any other big companies that you know of?

I am picking the car up in a small town in Texas hence why i need a large company which has more depots.

Any help would be most appreciated.
 Car hire in the U.S.A - CGNorwich
Don' take too much notice of on line reviews. All car hire companies attract bad reviews , a bit like Insurance companies and airlines. The satisfied customers don' t bother to a post a positive review. I don' think Herz will charge you for things you didn't ask for but they will certainly try hard to sell you cover you don' t need . Just be firm as to your requirements when picking up your car and don' t agree to anything you don't want.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 16 Feb 14 at 18:59
 Car hire in the U.S.A - Zero
I used Hertz last time in the US. They were first class. Didn't try to hard to flog me extras.
 Car hire in the U.S.A - BobbyG
We used Argus Car Hire who gave great service, were the cheapest for what we wanted, and got a sizeable cashback via Quidco.
 Car hire in the U.S.A - CGNorwich
I suppose like all things they vary from branch to branch. The guy at Calgary last year tried pretty hard to sell me a lot of ad ons I didn't need which was a bit tedious after a long flight. Apart from that no problem with Hertz. Well maintained nearly new car and easy pick up and drop off at different location (Vancouver)
 Car hire in the U.S.A - McP
I hired in Seattle and dropped off in Las Vegas a couple of years ago.
Budget were very clear with their return charges and fairly priced.
I was a little limited with car choice due to the Vegas to Seattle return.
Mitsubishi Galant 2.4 Petrol Auto. Not the most exciting but a good cruiser.
Absolutely no problem with them.

I can't be certain it was Hertz but definitely some of the big boys were very confusing with the return charge.
 Car hire in the U.S.A - Bill Payer
>> . I don' think Herz will charge you for things
>> you didn't ask for but they will certainly try hard to sell you cover you
>> don' t need .

My experience of Hertz (used them last 3 times I've been in Florida) is exactly the opposite - they didn't try to sell extras but did put random charges on my credit card.

However all 3 issues were sorted out with fairly minimal effort in a way that, from comments I've seen in Orlando forums, I don't think other rental companies could live up to.
 Car hire in the U.S.A - Videodoctor
Thanks for the replies guys.I will probably go with Hertz but keep them coming with more suggestions.
 Car hire in the U.S.A - legacylad
I have used both Hertz & Enterprise in the US. Both acceptable but in future will use Hertz, if for any reason my friends cannot lend me one of their cars!
Latest Forum Posts