Motoring Discussion > Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 70

Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - Runfer D'Hills
OK so at last she's made up her mind. Her new car is to be a new Qashqai. I've got one already as a company car and she's decided she wants one too.

Can afford to pay "cash" and don't need to trade in but could do for convenience value if the deal was right. Haven't bought a "new" car for years but second hand squashys are still reasonably expensive so she might as well have an unsullied one for the sake of a couple of grand. We tend to keep our cars for a very long time so not much bothered about depreciation implications.

Anyway, naturally, I /we want the best deal going so what's the latest inside wisdom on the relative merits of main dealers v independent dealers v internet brokers when it comes to a new purchase?

Is it still best to just to negotiate with the nearest couple or three Nissan dealers or are there significant savings to be had by casting the net further ?
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - Zero
wow, his and hers cars!

I would checkout the online brokers, see what your target price is, get a quote then toddle to your local nissan dealers, see if they come close.
Yeah I know, but we'll try to avoid wearing matching beige anoraks like old retired people do....

:-)

Ta for tip !
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - Westpig
Mate at work has just done the 'Drive the Deal' route and has been fairly impressed (Audi A4 estate). He took ages to make the decision and went all over the place matching deals, preferring his 'brass' in his pocket. He too was a cash buyer.
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - -
Friend is thinking of new Aygo at the moment, the Toyota dealer is prepared to throw in 3 years servicing which virtually meets the DtD prices when allowed for.
You can only ask.

Which engine and transmission Hump?
Manual 1.6 petrol or 1.5 diesel probably. Latter will be more expensive but might be worth it in the end. She'll only do about 10 or 12k a year so either would be fine.
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - Iffy
Evans Halshaw in Durham City is advertising 59-reg Qashqais for £16,000.

I think they are 1.6 petrol in N-Tec spec.

This deal is similar: www.evanshalshaw.com/contact/nissan-specialoffer-4519.html

Or there's a lower-spec Visia for lower money: www.evanshalshaw.com/contact/nissan-specialoffer-4381.html

Not sure how 'good' these deals are, but a quick glance suggests you could easily pay as much if not more for a used one.
Thanks Iffy. Got to go to London now to earn some more money ! Will look at it properly later tonight.
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - Auntie Lockbrakes
Has the 1.5 diesel got enough poke to lug around such a large motor?

Quite fancy the 2010 revised Qashqai myself. But the only engine available in NZ is a 2.0 petrol :-(
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - Dog
When I bought a couple of gnu vehicles a few years a'back, I went to the local pain dealer knowing the exact model & extras I wanted, had the spondulics in hand & sed "what's ya bottom line?
When he gave me his best possible price, I foned as many dealers as I could find in the (then) lunden evening gnu's and eventually found a dealer on the sowf coast offering a deal 2 beat all deals,
So I went back to the local VW dealer in the ole kent rd ... and he matched the price!
= keep it local (if you can)
p.s. good choice of jam jar + its 'Made in England' (near Scotland)

:)
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - DP
The in-laws have a 1.5dCi on an 09 plate which they've had for about 6 months. Thoroughly nice car, and they are well pleased with it.

It's fair to say it doesn't have power to spare, but for the kind of runabout driving they do, is more than adequate. Gets around 46 mpg with a lot of short journey use, well into the 50's on a run, and that Renault diesel is unfailingly smooth and quiet. No DPF on the 1.5 either! :-)

The father-in-law drove VWs for years, and reckons the fit and finish on the Squash more than matches the mkV Golf he was also considering.

Theirs hasn't put a foot wrong since they've had it.
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - jc2
If it hasn't got DPF,does it have EOLYS instead?
>> If it hasn't got DPF,does it have EOLYS instead?

No -
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 16 Jun 10 at 09:24
>> Has the 1.5 diesel got enough poke to lug around such a large motor?

Just. As DP says not much to spare, but its adequate. The engine was certainly not the reason I decided against one.
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - BobbyG
I picked up a 1.6 petrol Squashy hire car today with 1000 miles on the clock and still got that new car smell - which is the nearest I am going to get to it!

Think its a basic model, although it has bluetooth integrated which is great but doesn't have reversing sensors etc, front fogs etc.

Initial impressions, very high car, boot very high and little actual height in the boot compared to the Seat, predominantly due to high position and spare wheel inside. Nowhere to keep sunglasses near driver unless in big central armrest. Aux input is within armrest so idea obviously being you put your ipod in there and never touch it which doesn't look too user friendly.

Car is white and looks good with it, I like the view across the bonnert with the humps in it giving it quite a nice "stance"

If I remember rightly, Zero didn't like it due to its rear seat flexibility (or lack of it), still to have a play about with that to see what it can do.

I like the mpg readout on the dash and am getting 29mpg in stop/start town traffic.
The real killer for me, was that stupid tiny little display in the middle of the dash, and the height into the rear boot area. Too high for a lab with a dicky leg to jump in and out of.

I admired its comfort and relaxed drive.

The gearbox was a bit notchy.
I thought the one I sat in lacked interior space, particularly around the driver.
>> I thought the one I sat in lacked interior space, particularly around the driver.

Do you ....um....."need" a lot of space Iffy, bit of a problem in the pie department maybe ?

:-))
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Wed 16 Jun 10 at 19:15
...Do you ....um....."need" a lot of space Iffy, bit of a problem in the pie department maybe ?...

Only problem is getting a decent steak and kidney.
Thanks WP. Good thought.
Humph, out of curiosity, what was her decision making process, and if she wanted this type of car, what rules the Kuga and the Hyundai ix35 out of the equation?

Just curious as I have driven one and sat in the other 2 recently.
I think it's as simple as she's driven mine and really likes it. She's not having one to that spec mind ! Still wouldn't totally rule out the competition. It could all still change if the deals feel better.
Love the external look of the Kuga but when I sat in one I was totally underwhelmed. Don't know if it is because the inside is "so Ford" and so nothing surprises you about one now.
Liked the Hyundai, though never got a full look at boot, seating etc.
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - Boxsterboy
I think you'll find that I recommended a Squashy in your original thread. May I commend your wife on her excellent choice!
I think it more likely that she couldnt be bothered to look elsewhere.
Humph, is that a wise move letting her get used to a top of the range spec and then her getting a lesser spec?
I know how I would feel if I test drove a top range but then drove away a lesser spec?
She's very obedient and grateful for her good fortune in being married to me, it won't be an issue.......

Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - Old Navy
>> She's very obedient and grateful for her good fortune in being married to me, it
>> won't be an issue.......
>>
>> :-)
>>
I assume Mrs H doesn't read this. :-)
I don't permit that....she has far too much to do in her kitchen.

>> her good fortune in being married to me,

I assume her guide dog will be driving it?
Just had the most astonishing non-experience in our local Nissan dealership.

I arrived at their showroom at 4.00 this afternoon with my ten year old son on our way back from his swimming lessons.

Admittedly I'm dressed in shorts, a polo shirt and sandals but I'm clean and polite.

Went in with a view to buying Mrs D' a Qashqai if the deal was right and had deliberately taken a debit card from an account with sufficient funds to cover the procedure.

Even turned up in my company Qashqai which by chance got parked right outside the front door in full view of the sales desk.

Not another living soul in the showroom apart from us and two sales staff.

After wandering around having a look at display models for a bit we were totally ignored so I stroll over to one of the likely lads ( why do they all have too much gel in their hair ) and ask him if he is free to speak to me.

He continues typing on his computer and remains sitting while he mumbles "are you alright? "

"Never better" say I. " I was thinking of buying a Qashqai for my wife, do you have any interesting offers or deals on them at present ? "

"We have a finance deal but bring your wife in and we'll talk"

"Don't need or want finance thanks, just want to buy a Qashqai for um....Qash please"

"Bring your wife in and..."

"I was rather hoping you would just give me some quotes and if they are interesting enough I might buy one"

"Do you know what she wants?"

" Yes "

"Bring her in..."

"Look, I'd just like to buy one for her, how much do you want to charge me?"

"They are in short supply, I'll need to check what we have on order"

"Don't you know..... there doesn't seem to be a queue ?"

"Which model are you intersted in"

"What's the best package in terms of value, I guess we could be persuaded to have a slightly posh one if the deal's right?"

"Do you want to trade in"

"Not necessarily, but we might. Look, could you just give me some prices on whatever you could sell me today please?"

"Bring your wife in and we'll talk"

"She doesn't need to be here, I'm buying it for her and she has told me what she wants"

"Best if you bring her in"

"OK, look forget it, this is too hard"

"Here's my card if you need anything further"

"We won't thanks, goodbye".......
Lol

Reminds me of the time my mother and I were totally ignored in a VW dealer, whereby we walked round the corner and bought a brand new pug 205 on the spot.
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - corax
Oh dear. I take it you havn't got the biggest respect for that dealership right now! Perhaps you should have worn a suit :-) Why do they want to see your wife so much?

You could now ignore that place and try somewhere else or go back during the week when someone with half a brain might be working there. Nissan came 25th out of 35 in the car dealership survey in Driver Power and you've just proved why.
...I arrived at their showroom at 4.00 this afternoon...

No excuse, but car sales staff can be at their lowest ebb late on a Saturday afternoon, particularly if it's been a quiet day.

A sales manager I know uses the term cabin fever.

Sunday is a bigger retailing day than Saturday for many dealerships.

If you bowled in there after church tomorrow, you might get a much better response.

Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - R.P.
Did the twonk think that you night have been trying to part ex your wife for a car ??
I really don't know what he was thinking PU. I suspect though that thinking was not his core skill.

I'm a Sales Director myself as it happens so I have a bit of insight into the psychology of the beast. This one, to put it charitably, needed training......

I was more than prepared to hand over the plastic if he'd made the right noises. We may well still buy a Squashy, it's not the car's fault. It is though unlikely that we'll buy it from that particular source.

I had tried to remain positive about this particular dealership despite the fact that they were the same clowns who abjectly failed to "look after" the wretched Espace I suffered some years ago and they are the most convenient place to get the company car serviced but even the fact that quite a number of the other brand dealerships on that drag have gone west in recent times doesn't seem to have incentivised them on any customer service level.

I wasn't expecting any kind of red carpet, I'm just Joe Punter, I understand that but sometimes I wonder if some businesses deserve what they get.
Whats happened here is a case of overtraining. Car salesman have, for years, been told, "sell to the wife and you sell"

Clearly, unless there is a woman present, he cant function.
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - midlifecrisis
Humph, I have a relative who is a Renault car salesman, but his group has a Nissan dealership next door to his showroom. He managed to get me a mates rates deal on the Audi A3 I bought at the beginning of the year.

I can't promise anything, but if you want to e-mail me your details, I can pass them on to him and I'm sure he'll make some enquiries for you (stressing no promises about deals :) )
Thanks mlc. I'll ask the mods if they will be kind enough to send you my contact details.
Maybe you should have used the Home Simpson negotiation system:-

"I give you loads of cash you give me shiny car" maybe he would have caught the gist of what you wanted then.
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - Manatee
>>I really don't know what he was thinking PU. I suspect though that thinking was not his core skill.

Spot on - nothing to do with training - just very dim. It doesn't say much for the management does it? - either their recruitment is appalling or the rewards of the job are such that nobody who's any good will do it. It insults the potential customers too.

There are a million versions of the selling model but they all amount to the same thing - qualify, pitch, close. All he had to do was ask some pertinent questions and listen. I'm sure you'd have let him go off for a think to see what he could come up with.

Sadly, not a unique experience.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 09:44
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - J500ANT
One of my mates is on his second, his work gets them on a 12k 6 month lease for not a lot of money. Not one thing has gone wrong on it, and he gets 55+mpg as a norm.
OK - So today ( my birthday by the way, money will be fine ! ) we went to Fords of Winsford to check out mildly second hand Squashys.

For Gawds sake she's now decided that Mini Cooper convertibles are cool.....

Don't ya just love 'em....?

Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 18:36
Well the nice bloke with the oily head at the Nissan did tell you didn't he.
...sake she's now decided that Mini Cooper convertibles are cool...

All convertibles are cool.
I suppose he did. Clever chap after all.....
Did the Nissan dealer contact you Humph?
No, not yet mlc.
I wouldn't bother with them then! The guy spoke too assured me he would contact you within a few hours.

When my wife's cousin gets back next week I'll mention to him the crap service and see if he can give them a kickup the backside.
Don't go to any bother mlc. The disease seems to be commonplace. The daft thing is, ( and despite my fooling about with this subject on the threads ) that I would have bought one this weekend had a dealer come up with the right price. Kinda puts you off a bit doesn't it ?
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - Westpig
>> I really don't know what he was thinking PU. I suspect though that thinking was
>> not his core skill.
>>
What it is Humph, is these twots have all been on the same sales courses, the ones where they tell you that to make the sale if there's two of you i.e. a married couple, then you both have to be there..otherwise the punter can say 'thanks, i'll consult my wife and get back to you'.

It explains why I had such a problem getting double glazing quotes for my house a while back, when my ex-wife wasn't available to attend the 'presentation', despite the fact that..1, It was my house 2, I was paying for it, 3, She hadn't been around long, 4 , She didn't have a pot to urinate in

Why oh why they can't tailor each circumstance uniquely to each customer I have no idea.

P.S. ...5, She didn't stay around long either.... but that's another story...;-)
Last edited by: Westpig on Tue 22 Jun 10 at 20:56
Still got the windows I trust ?

Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - Avant
"....she's now decided that Mini Cooper convertibles are cool...."

They are - SWMBO has one - but if she's serious and you're buying used, get a mark 2 (09 onwards I think). Tha main difference is that he rear seats were reshaped and you can now see something out of the back. If you can run to it, a new one is a better bargain than it looks as they hold their value so well.

But as an alternative to a Cashcow.....as Jim Hacker said in Yes Prime Minister, 'I'm not being indecisive - I just can't make up my mind'.
Reply to Avant and indeed Zero on t'other thread. Yes there is the small but significant issue of indecision.

Perhaps I should risk being magnanimously masterful and just get her something what do you think ? Could go a number of ways I guess.

>> Reply to Avant and indeed Zero on t'other thread. Yes there is the small but
>> significant issue of indecision.
>>
>> Perhaps I should risk being magnanimously masterful and just get her something what do you
>> think ? Could go a number of ways I guess.

I see PAIN written all over that route. She has to decide,
>> I see PAIN written all over that route. She has to decide,
>>

Humph is either extremely brave or has completely lost the plot to even suggest foisting a car on the good lady.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 22 Jun 10 at 18:32

>> Humph is either extremely brave or has completely lost the plot

Wibble Wibble.....
Well I broached the "let me take care of it darling" gambit over the spag bol and am delighted to report that the response was "I wish you would, anything will do as long as you tie a bow round it"

Just have to source a bit of ribbon to fit the old Mondy and we're sorted I reckon......

you sucker. Thats her speak for "get the choice wrong boyo and you will be drowning in merde for the rest of your life"
A mini Cooper convertible beats a Nissan QQ hands down ... (for 3 months of the year!)
You expect that long a summer? Followed by a 4x4 for a few days, then what?
>>You expect that long a summer? Followed by a 4x4 for a few days, then what?<<

A car for all seasons then = Suzuki Jimny, quite ideal for the memsahib me thinks :)
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - swiss tony
A mini Cooper convertible beats a Nissan QQ hands down ... (for 3 days of the year!)

(thats more like it!)
Could it just be that we have been maligning the good Mrs D'About? Behind the apparent vacillation is there feminine logic that says:

Humph will never sell the valiant old Mondeo.

It's there for me when I want to carry lots of gubbins.

So when I don't (most of the time) I can have fun - so why not a Mini convertible?

I say this with reasonable confidence as Mrs Avant follows the same logic, knowing my preference for large, fastish hatchbacks or estates despite the children being grown up. (She loves her Cooper convertible, by the way - her third Mini.)

Last edited by: Avant on Tue 22 Jun 10 at 22:40
She needs and wants a Lincoln Navigator. With bling spinners.
Right so, this afternoon I call her at work.

"Meet me at 5.30pm at such and such a Nissan dealer, we'll get your car sorted out, they don't shut until 7.00pm"

"Great" says she, "see you there, how exciting"

Bear in mind I have a Qashqai so she knows what they are like and keeps on about how much she likes it and wants one of her own.....

Right-ho then, off to dealer, wallet primed.

Several Qashqai sat in, switches prodded etc, colour charts examined, extras lists consulted, preliminary pricing skirmishes had, I say,

" Right then, what do you want, colour, trim and so on ? "

" Um, well, not sure I'm quite sure I want a Qashqai now....... I mean, yours is quite nice and everything, but it's quite a lot of money. "

" Yes true, but we can afford it at the moment and you never stop mentioning that that's what you want ?"

" Can I think about it ? "

" Sure darling "

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhh ! ( Internally of course )
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - -

>> Right-ho then, off to dealer, wallet primed.

They'll never let you back in over the border..;)

See Humph, the original sales guy had foreseen this all along !
How could anyone with that much gel in his hair and such a big knot in his tie have anything as useful as insight ?

Apparently Kugas are cute.......

Jeez.....
 Finally we have a decision - New Qashqai - Bellboy
do they do a 3.2 petrol squashy?
if they do buy with caution...............
Back to the Mini convertible, methinks.
Latest Forum Posts