Motoring Discussion > Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - 200 Miles round trip weekdays daily for 2-3 yrs Buying / Selling
Thread Author: kapilnara Replies: 8

Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - 200 Miles round trip weekdays daily for 2-3 yrs - kapilnara
My wife will be getting a job in another city and expected is that I would have to travel 200 miles per day for work. I am in no position to switch job and she will be taking care of children hence I would not like to stay halfway for both of us to suffer.

I calculated that if I use train then I have to start by 530 and reach back by 2030. It would roughly cost me 600GBP. If I use a car I can start by 7AM and reach by 730PM.

I would like to get suggestions for all the options I have within 600GBP and whether it will be wise to go for a new or old car? Should I travel by car everyday? what options should I consider for buying one.

I am really interested for Dacia Logan MCV (cheapest one petrol) would that be a wise choice?
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - 200 Miles round trip weekdays daily for 2-3 yrs - Zero
Couple of points.

Long commutes by car are very stressful. Traveling by train can sometimes be much more relaxing tho you have to factor in how much missing home life means to you and your circumstances.

No idea what your journey would be like as you don't provide any details (motorway, urban, country) and have you factored in fuel, servicing, parking costs, depreciation.

As far as the logan goes, read this thread.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=101792

I wouldn't touch one of the indian built ones with a bargepole.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - 200 Miles round trip weekdays daily for 2-3 yrs - WillDeBeest
It has to be comfortable for that sort of use. My experience of Logans is limited to 20-minute taxi rides in Bucharest, but to be honest that was plenty. I don't think it's a suitable car for a long commute.

I used to travel 170 miles a day for work. I did in in a Volvo S60 D5 that was five years old when I started the job. That has the quietness, the performance, the audio system and - above all - the seats to make such a commute tolerable, but even so I was glad when we relocated and I didn't have to do it any more. As Z points out, it's a stressful business, especially if there's work pressure in between. You need to do whatever you can - bigger car, alternating car and train, working at home when possible - to minimize that stress, or you'll be shortening your life.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - 200 Miles round trip weekdays daily for 2-3 yrs - sooty123
I am in no position
>> to switch job

Personally I'd look to change that ASAP. Personally I won't commute that, would be a nightmare something I wouldn't attempt.

To be more constructive I'd suggest comfy and reliable. IS series or an accord.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 18 Feb 14 at 13:05
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - 200 Miles round trip weekdays daily for 2-3 yrs - Bromptonaut
Welcome to the forum. You might like to put a few words about yourself in the Intros section. I'm Simon, a retired Civil Servant Living in Northampton. I commuted to London by car, train (and for last 13yrs) a folding bike from 1990 until November 2013.

I'd agree with others. A hundred mile trip each way every day needs a car that's really comfortable. Better to go for a good brand at a couple of years old, perhaps an ex fleet vehicle that's already got a good few miles on.

A new Logan might look a good deal now but at 3yrs with greater part of 150k on it would be worth peanuts.

Can you improve on the rail timing by combining rail with a bit of driving, for example to cut out a need to change? Assuming it's in UK can you tell us the locations involved - that may produce some suggestions to improve the timings.

Is £600 the cost of a monthly season?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 18 Feb 14 at 13:18
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - 200 Miles round trip weekdays daily for 2-3 yrs - Runfer D'Hills
Assuming ( I know one should never do that ) but assuming 48 weeks a year at 1000 miles a week at say 15p a mile ( fuel ) = £7200 a year. 6 cheapish tyres a year = £600 a year. 3 services and a set of brakes maybe? Budget £1000 for that... Won't be too far off £10,000 a year of costs without factoring in the cost of buying the car, insuring it, taxing it etc.

I'd be shopping for a comfortable big, safe cruiser with a diesel engine and which has already done a 100,000 miles but has an impeccable service history. Look to change it annually and the depreciation from 100k to 150k isn't nearly as scary as from 0-50k miles.

Each to their own but on those miles I'd also be trying to avoid anything with a cambelt.

I did Bath to Chester and back daily for a year or so. Nearly killed me. It wasn't the distance ( I still do averagely 800 miles a week ) but the dreadful boredom of the same route to the same desk at the same times etc...

Maybe try varying it. EG Car on a Monday, stay over on a Tuesday, car again Weds etc or use the train one day a week or whatever.

Or look for another job. It doesn't even need to be as well paid if it's local...

But 5 hours a day for 3 years in a Dacia Logan ? No thanks ! Rather stick pins in my eyes !
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - 200 Miles round trip weekdays daily for 2-3 yrs - Bromptonaut
Thinking about the distance/boredom (and fatigue) thing reminded me of when we were first up here.

Decided to get right out of London in so far as still commutable - my job was always going to be there. With ageing parents in Staffs and Yorks Northampton suited us well and Mrs B duly found a teaching job in a village comprehensive.

Unfortunately this was 89/90 just as the house price bubble popped so come her start date we were still owners of a house in Watford. She drove daily until around half term when she realised she was at school with no recollection whatever of the journey.

Lodged with a colleague from then until our sale went through in February.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - 200 Miles round trip weekdays daily for 2-3 yrs - Mapmaker
>> It would roughly cost me 600GBP.

Per week or month?

Can only echo what others say about

(1) not doing it in a small car;
(2) looking to work more flexibly. Can you stay two nights a week nearby - somebody will fancy a never-there lodger, perhaps doing longer hours those days and maybe do one day working from home?

Based entirely on what I'm driving at the moment, I'd spend £3k on a 150k Honda Accord. It'll still be worth £2k a year later at 200k miles and you might choose to keep it for another year.

The Guardian said of the Dacia: " The drive is straight out of the 70s. It pitches and rolls on corners, the acceleration is feeble, the engine rattles and the thin gearstick offers as much feedback as a spirtle in a pan of semi-set porridge."

You really wouldn't want to do 50k per annum in that!
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - 200 Miles round trip weekdays daily for 2-3 yrs - Dave_
Comfy car, already done 100,000 miles, will go on for the same again? There's a lot to be said for Swedish manufacturers, both Volvo and Saab. Their seats are terrific, the cabins are nice places to be and you've got proper crash safety designed-in - which is important if you're driving 100 miles twice a day through both rush hours.
Latest Forum Posts