Motoring Discussion > Another look at Life - One for Rob Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 13

Another look at Life - One for Rob - Zero
Scooters!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5490e1YlZYw
 Another look at Life - One for Rob - bathtub tom
55 seconds in, what's that car next to the Herald on the left and the two models of (British) scooters from about five and a half minutes? I don't recognise them at all.
 Another look at Life - One for Rob - Armel Coussine
If you mean the second car on the left, it's a Dyna Panhard I think. As for the scooters, I know nothing... but that was a cvt we saw, with the variable rubber belt pulleys.
 Another look at Life - One for Rob - Ted
I thought Dyna as well but I'm not so sure looking at these. Maybe an earlier model ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY5AbfBTces

HO
I see what you mean Horatio. Some Panhards were fitted with little chrome headlamp eyebrows, but there's no sign of an air intake with those chrome lumps in it, and more importantly the apparent shutline doesn't fit either the bonnet or boot of any of the cars in your lickle flim...

Did you ever go in one? Six (slim) seater, one-litre aircooled flat twin in front of the front axle line, capable of sustained 80mph cruise with a full load and quite economical. Allegedly iffy in very ambitious cornering as so many cars are. The engine was just beautiful to look at, no kidding. And the whole front panel, wings and all, tipped forward to expose everything, much like a Herald.

With the column shift and bench seats it enabled the impoverished French petty bourgeoisie to lounge about pretending to be rich Americans in the years after WW2. Sales gradually fell and the company brought out a new series (in the mid-sixties I think, not sure), much uglier to my eye but with one very fast model. It wasn't a success and the marque vanished.
Thanks for that. It looks to me like the back end of a PL17, but with wing mirrors? Could they have rationalised on panels and used the same at each end? : upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Panhard_PL17_1964_rear.jpg

Another look at Life - One for Rob - Bromptonaut
>> much uglier to my eye but with one very fast model. It wasn't a success
>> and the marque vanished.

Panhard still exists as a maker of military vehicles. Saw one on display in Strasbourg a couple of years ago, part of a French Army recruitment thing.

Think I had some photographs. If I can find them I'll link.
 Another look at Life - One for Rob - helicopter
Yes .....looks like the front end of a Panhard Dyna Z .......

Look and compare the position of the sidelights and the distinctive gap above bumper in this photo....

tinyurl.com/kxvl7fe

Panhard was one of the few cars of that era that I did not spot from my Observers book of Automobiles
Last edited by: helicopter on Wed 19 Feb 14 at 15:22
 Another look at Life - One for Rob - helicopter
I also reckon that the scooter being tested on the army range is a Velocette Venom but could be wrong......
Velocette did make a scooter, the Viceroy. I don't think it was one of them: thecreeper.net/velocette/viceroy/ride0218/images/DSC00641.JPG
Think I'm getting there.

The first scooter looks to me like a Triumph Tina or T10 (the one that looks like it's seat is on a pedestal). upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/Triumph_Tina.jpg/800px-Triumph_Tina.jpg

I'm still baffled by the other one.
 Another look at Life - One for Rob - Ted
The Velocette scooter was the Viceroy. Quite distinct. Shared many bits with my LE.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UfAZYIULoo

HO
Last edited by: Horace Ontaltwin on Wed 19 Feb 14 at 16:37
 Another look at Life - One for Rob - R.P.
Sorry come in a bit late on this....Thanks for this....fascinating.....how scary was that instructor riding pillion.....???!!!!
>> how scary was that instructor riding pillion.....???!!!!

Very, I thought. 'Look out! There's a bloke in a suit doing something odd on the back of your bike!'

Did anyone else notice that long before helmets were mandatory, all the scooter riders in the main bit of film wore those silly peaked helmets in a bon enfant manner? Some busybody lobbying for a change in the law no doubt, trying to send out the right signals.

Quite sensible of them I now think, but at the time I would have thought it pathetic having done some terrifying miles bareheaded on the pillions of high-powered bikes and (even more terrifyingly) on scooters I was driving myself.
Latest Forum Posts