Motoring Discussion > Roller shutter garage doors Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 5

Roller shutter garage doors - legacylad
I have a detached garage with a pair of electric up n over 7' x 7' doors, and the garage borders my neighbours wall which makes entry & exit very tricky through both doors. For years I have thought about fitting a single large door, say 12'+, taking out the central pillar, then putting in either a long concrete lintel or RSJ. This I could do with a local builder whom I have worked with previously.
Ideally the new door would be electrically operated, insulated, with manual over ride, and a heavy duty rubber strip on the bottom to keep out mice from the surrounding fields. Bless 'em.
My current doors have worked perfectly for 11 years, but the manufacturer, Birtley, seems to be no more. I appreciate that the change, should it happen, will add little or no value to the property, but will allow me to keep a larger vehicle inside the garage. My 3 series fits fine, but all my neighbours keep their larger vehicles on the drive, which to me, seems a complete waste of a garage! I could buy one 2nd hand off Ebay, but the logistics of dismantling, removal to my place, then fitting are quite daunting! Any recommendations please.
 Roller shutter garage doors - Old Navy
I have a Hormann sectional door. Vertical opening, power operated, insulated and almost airtight. Good quality kit.

www.hormann.co.uk/garage-doors/sectional-doors/
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Wed 19 Feb 14 at 18:34
Thanks Unc. I requested one of their brochures (and a Rolux one) a few days ago. Will be interested to see how much they will try and charge me to supply & fit if I do the necessary preparatory building work.
 Roller shutter garage doors - IJWS14
My father has a steel roller shutter, lives on the hill in Darton above the M1 so windy at times.

Has a brace he fits at times to stop the door rattling in the wind and keeping the neighbours awake.

Something to think about.
Finally received a quote from a local builder. No spec on the roller door, just a poor photocopy of a page from a brochure which looks like an industrial shutter!Basically a hopeless attempt at procuring business that I would be ashamed of. ''Of course it won't flex, even in the strongest gales''. I don't think so.

After investigative work, with an opening in excess of 5m, I am now of the opinion that a sectional door will be the best option. Hormann & Rolux quotes to follow, allowing for myself and a builder chum to do the preliminaries such as fitting the RSJ, etc.

Roller shutter garage doors - FocalPoint
I did think about replacing my up-and-over garage door with a roller door, but was put off by the cost.

That was a few years ago - maybe things are cheaper now.
Latest Forum Posts