Motoring Discussion > Tebay Services access Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 26

Tebay Services access - Zero
Anyone know this well? Is there access from Tebay services North or South onto the Orton > greenholm road? I know its not legal, but it looks like its not policed by a camera.
 Tebay Services access - MD
...orf on a 'job' are we?
Kindof

Off to Shildon tomorrow, so while oop t' north I thought I might do some filming round shap area.
 Tebay Services access - Runfer D'Hills
I can recommend the Cumberland sausage in onion gravy with mash and peas at Tebay. My colleague said the chicken tikka massala with poppadums and pickles on the side was more than acceptable too. Washed down with a pot of tea each of course. No Weathercocks or whatever they're called there...

I guess everyone knows its one of the few ( only ? ) independently owned and run service areas ?

It's still not perfect but it sure is a cut above the rest. Not sure about sneaking off there though, it's too near Scotland to bother messing about doing that for my liking. There's only a few big puddles and a couple of imitation mountains either side of there anyway, punctuated by some sheep of course but you can see them most places where there's a bit of grass.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 19 Feb 14 at 21:57
 Tebay Services access - Duncan
>> I can recommend the Cumberland sausage in onion gravy with mash and peas at Tebay.
>> My colleague said the chicken tikka massala with poppadums and pickles on the side was
>> more than acceptable too. Washed down with a pot of tea each of course. No
>> Weathercocks or whatever they're called there...

Help....... is not too far away. Kendal, in fact.

tinyurl.com/qdar7cd
 Tebay Services access - Kevin
Passport still valid?
 Tebay Services access - Runfer D'Hills
I'll claim asylum.
>> Passport still valid?

Nah, but I will carry some beads and trinkets to assuage the locals - should see me ok.
 Tebay Services access - commerdriver
>> Off to Shildon tomorrow,

Sounds like the place to be, say hello if you pass by, I'll be the one with the laptop bag.
(It's kind of on the way from the project in Edinburgh and home)

Tebay and Shap on the other hand seem a bit off the route for you but probably worth it for the view.

>> Tebay and Shap on the other hand seem a bit off the route for you
>> but probably worth it for the view.

Depends on the weather. All filming locations for Shap are exposed with a capital EX, so I may be back down south on friday if it promises to be nasty.

Snow i will stay for, horizontal rain and I am offski
 Tebay Services access - Manatee
Ah, yes. Got sent a picture of an A4 today by my Northumberland mate asking me to guess where he was. He said Sheldon, he can't spell, and all 6 of them are there.
>> Ah, yes. Got sent a picture of an A4 today by my Northumberland mate asking
>> me to guess where he was. He said Sheldon, he can't spell, and all 6
>> of them are there.

They are, I have an early morning photographers pass booked for Friday morning. Wont have that terrible scrum to contend with that was the NRM york.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 19 Feb 14 at 22:56
 Tebay Services access - commerdriver
Well worth the money, i had one at York, worth every penny, this trip is a bit less planned & a bit more taking an opportunity & hoping the scrum will be a bit less outdoors than it was indoors at York.
But then there's always the weather to worry about :-)
 Tebay Services access - borasport
The operators, Westmorland,

www.westmorland.com

have a hotel and caravan park pretty much on the same site - (check out google earth ,etc) - I'd be very suprised if they were limited to motorway access only
>> The operators, Westmorland,
>>
>> www.westmorland.com
>>
>> have a hotel and caravan park pretty much on the same site - (check
>> out google earth ,etc) - I'd be very suprised if they were limited to motorway
>> access only

thats why I ask. It appears to be accessible from Motorway and service road.
 Tebay Services access - CGNorwich
According to this that is correct.

motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Tebay
 Tebay Services access - legacylad
Is there a steamer coming through? I have a cracking view of the Settle-Carlisle line from my place, although I appreciate Shap is on the main West Coast line.
Heard a steamer go through Settle last Saturday whilst I was working.
>> Is there a steamer coming through? I have a cracking view of the Settle-Carlisle line
>> from my place, although I appreciate Shap is on the main West Coast line.
>> Heard a steamer go through Settle last Saturday whilst I was working.

Yes, its coming back south on the SC line LMS Class 7P 4-6-0 no 46115 Scots Guardsman

www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50678/2014/02/22/advanced

Tebay Services access - legacylad
Many thanks Z. Much appreciated. Unfortunately myself & gf are away in Ambleside Fri & Sat night for a belated Valentines weekend. I shall tell my next door neighbour who works in the station ticket office to look out for it.
 Tebay Services access - Armel Coussine
Wasn't Shap fell one of the famous places where in bad weather it might take two or three locomotives with functioning sandboxes to haul a proper train over the top?

King's Cross and Birmingham New Street were both termini at the bottoms of steepish slopes too, and sometimes needed multiple locos. Indeed the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm was originally a huge winch-house that was used to haul trains out of King's Cross before even three locos could cut the mustard... when they only had a couple of driving wheels and could go fast but had zilch torque...

Perhaps I'm wrong about some of this. But I had a long chat with an old engine driver once (in Birmingham waiting for the 1 am train to guess where...) He didn't miss having to get up at 3 am to light the furnace, but he did miss the whole exercise of skill and knowledge that steam trains needed. 'Just like driving a car these days,' he said disparagingly from the footplate of his massive diesel engine.

Tebay Services access - Ted
>> Wasn't Shap fell one of the famous places where in bad weather it might take
>> two or three locomotives with functioning sandboxes to haul a proper train over the top?

Ah yes, M'Lud. Tebay was built for the railway with the almost sole purpose of providing re-fuelling and servicing facilities for banking engines. A branch led across the mountains to Hawes and beyond. Almost everything swept away now apart from the main lines passing through the Lune Gorge !

Even the largest LMS locos, the Coronation pacifics, usually needed banking up to Shap summit, cresting the brow at maybe 15 mph. On the introduction of electric traction, the same trains were going over the top with a single engine at over 90mph !

>> Even the largest LMS locos, the Coronation pacifics, usually needed banking up to Shap summit,

Well what do you expect from wheezy lightweight LMS stuff huh? Britannias romp up over the top at 37 mph with a full load.

On a more serious note the UK's steepest grades are much further south surprisingly, like the infamous "Lickey"

The Lickey Incline, south of Birmingham, is the steepest sustained main-line railway incline in Great Britain. The climb is a gradient of 1-in-37.7 (2.65%) for a continuous distance of two miles (3.2 km).
Some trains still require the assistance of banking locomotives to ensure that the train reaches the top.
Class 66's tackle it topped and tailed with a full load even today.

Then surprisingly the next is even further south, Exeter Central to Exeter St Davids at 1-in-37 where this summer I shall try and get down to film some TnT steam.

But the place where even modern locos still get stuck regularly (diesel and electrics) is Poole and the Parkstone bank. Any train that stops at Parkstone is faced with a steep uphill gradient and a tight curve to Branksome. Couple that with leaves and wet rails and you have a whole shed load of trouble.

Tebay Services access - Ted

Z...come off the M6 at the Tebay junction 38...up to the roundabout at the end of the slip then turn left for Appleby...B6260.....first village along is Orton.

Southbound services isn't on the motorway so you'd come off here anyway. I don't think you can get off Northbound. Go up to gate 39, turn left then 1st left to Orton...B6261.

We do this trip regularly to friends near Appleby. Have a good one...pizzing down now in't NorthWest.

HO
 Tebay Services access - MD
And the SW. Just for a change. Well.........it helps to keep the dust down!
ta
 Tebay Services access - Duncan
>> ta
>>

I assume that was a 'thank you' to me for the invaluable Wetherspoons information?
>> >> ta
>> >>
>>
>> I assume that was a 'thank you' to me for the invaluable Wetherspoons information?

Assumption incorrect.
Latest Forum Posts