Motoring Discussion > V8 Lovers? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 7

V8 Lovers? - sherlock47
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01svrjk

For all the V8 lovers
 V8 Lovers? - Westpig
I actually preferred the Brit version
 V8 Lovers? - Armel Coussine
Holden snorting monster is missing. And isn't a 'Bentley' - really a VW Phaeton of course - with a V8 a downmarket model? I thought its real motor was a Y or X configuration 12-cylinder lump (and I use the word advisedly) possibly with two or three turbochargers to make its torque delivery less limp-wristed.

And I would disagree with the description of the Ferrari V8 as sounding aggressive. Joyous is the term I would use.

Just words though. They all sound good to me.

Another one left out was a 50s Ford or Chevrolet sidevalve V8. They too have a distinctive sound, especially in a high state of tune. Nothing like a spitting flathead, knowImean?
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 25 Feb 14 at 18:26
 V8 Lovers? - jc2
1,5,4,8,6,3,7,2. I owned both an Allard and an ex-WD staff car at various times.
Last edited by: jc2 on Tue 25 Feb 14 at 19:08
 V8 Lovers? - jc2
I also knew someone with the full Ardun OHV conversion on his Ford flathead V8.
 V8 Lovers? - Kevin
>Holden snorting monster is missing.

AC,

Holden V8 is essentially a Chevy Small Block so it sounds like a Corvette or Camaro. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 with odd cylinder numbers on right bank. No.1 front RHS.

A few years ago we'd gone to the garden centre in the Camaro and a guy and his wife came up to us as we were loading stuff into the back. He had a Euro-spec Z28 that he adored and kept in a carpeted, heated garage. He was disappointed though that Chevy had strangled the V8 burble by fitting a different exhaust for Europe. When I fired mine up (Texas-spec) he was gobsmacked.

I told him to order a Borla cat-back system from the States and fit that.

No point in having one if you can't hear it.
Last edited by: Kevin on Tue 25 Feb 14 at 20:04
 V8 Lovers? - Dave_
Great find, sherlock47, thanks. I prefer the Brit V8 sound, but then I would say that :)

Fascinating to hear how Bentley tune the same engine for different markets. I move their development cars around the country for various purposes - emissions testing, damping calibration etc - so I'll listen for differences in the different markets' sounds now.

The V8 and W12 models can be differentiated from the outside by the sideways 8-shaped tailpipes on the 4.0 litre. I still chuckle when I hear the purposeful bark of a GT V8 starting up.
 V8 Lovers? - mattbod
So does this mean that the Continental GT V8 has different exhaust sounds for the different markets and if you have a preference you can go to dealer and say "i want the Italian Sound" Or is it done by playing through stereo system? I know there is a lot of that nonsense going on now.
Latest Forum Posts