Motoring Discussion > CVT automatics Buying / Selling
Thread Author: scot22 Replies: 65

CVT automatics - scot22
Many cars with automatic transmission now have CVT. I've read a variety of views and wondered if it depended on the manufacturer. If so, who are the best ? ones to avoid ? Opinions appreciated.
 CVT automatics - diddy1234
I suspect the cheaper cars still have the tried and tested conventional automatic gear boxes (with a torque converter).

Companies like Kia and Hyundai use the classic type.
Cars that are a joint collaboration like the C1's, and aygo's have CVT types.
Maybe its a cost thing, I don't know but just an observation.
 CVT automatics - scot22
Thanks for the observation. I usually tend to the traditional, e.g electronic handbrake I would never have. The problem with cheaper cars is that they appear to have saved money on safety features and I would not buy anything less than 5 stars ncap. I would be particularly interested in any comments on Mercedes CVT.
 CVT automatics - Lygonos
Modern-era CVTs have been around for a while and reliability for most appears good.

They can be found in some powerful cars: Audi, Nissan Murano (remember them?), and now Subaru turbo-petrol (Forester XT) and turbo-diesel (Outback) engines have them - both churn out 350Nm torque.

Torque tends to be the limiting factor in transmissions and clutches.

Anyhoos, it's a bit like petrol vs diesel, NA vs turbo debate - you've got to try it out then decide on your preference.
 CVT automatics - madf
Post 2012 Jazz has a CVT linked to a conventional Torque convertor.

Instantaneous and VERY smooth changes... Very easy to drive except for most yobbo car testers whose brains are to be found where their testicles are and therefore dislike them and cannot drive them.
Last edited by: madf on Wed 26 Feb 14 at 16:50
 CVT automatics - Armel Coussine
I don't mind automatic transmissions but I don't mind manual ones either. If I were buying an auto though I would really prefer one with a torque convertor ('slushpump') because I would expect it to be more durable. I've driven a Golf diesel with one of these twin-clutch jobbies and it was awkward in traffic at low speeds, perhaps because I didn't know how to drive it.

Only CVT I've driven was a rubber-band Volvo/DAF. It was all right, engaging in a way, but distinctly odd.
 CVT automatics - Boxsterboy
>>. I
>> would be particularly interested in any comments on Mercedes CVT.
>>

I think only the As and Bs have the CVT?

Sis-in-law has a B-class diesel with CVT. It is one of the worse gearboxes I have ever used, the worst being a Fiat Punto Selecta (also a CVT). Are you spotting a trend here? I hate CVTs with their whining droning drive. Give me a TC or DSG any day!
 CVT automatics - Auristocrat
The Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 107/Citroen C1 don't have a CVT - they used Toyota's Multi Mode transmission which is an automated manual.
 CVT automatics - scot22
Thanks everyone - all these replies have been very helpful. As has been said, I will need to try one. However, how good or long a test drive it is not the same as owning the car and driving it for a while.
 CVT automatics - diddy1234
I am kind of interested in automatics for my next car.
I will be changing back from diesel to petrol but don't fancy a huge engine or changing gears every five seconds.
Hence a smaller petrol automatic 'may' just suit my needs.

I won't be changing just yet though so I will enjoy more lazy driving for a while
 CVT automatics - scot22
Yes, I had a diesel and am changing back to petrol. My mileage and motoring didn't justify diesel and I have had to have a new dpf at around £1,000 (not good) I'm looking for a medium size car, e.g supermini or S40/V50. Automatic is a definite preference but there appears to be quite a variety. Although I've read a number of critical comments I quite like Mercedes A class W169 auto. Has anybody had one of those ?
 CVT automatics - Zero
Very apt this thread.

Nicolle suffers from a bad back driving, caused by being very short legged, a non height adjustable drivers seat, and trying to push the clutch down. She has to sit far too near the when for airbag safety.

So

She wants an Auto.

Wanted a Polo auto, but told her she can't due to my doubts about the s/h longevity of DSG gearboxes.

We then got the shortlist down to three cars. A Yaris, dumped because the MMT gearbox appears to suffer far worse reliability than the DSG. She loves the new Ka but there is no auto, so we are looking seriously at a 2010 isn Ford Fiesta, which appears to have a normal auto gearbox.

Any comments, or cars we haven't looked at?
>> Any comments, or cars we haven't looked at?

Madf's suggestion of a post-2012 Honda Jazz, slushpump with CVT?

Jazz is a nice practical refined little car. Some say the ride is a bit stiff.
 CVT automatics - scot22
I thought about a Honda Jazz, the drawback was that it seems to be more of a town car. The challenge for me is finding a car that is both good in town and comfortable for the longer 4 hour drive as well ( having a back problem myself). Although I have read quite a few negative comments the Mercedes A class does appeal to me as a possible compromise for the two needs. The higher driver seat might make access difficult for the shorter person but it does give an excellent view for driving. Has anyone experience of this car post 2008 facelift ?
 CVT automatics - Zero
The jazz was tried and quickly dismissed because that heavy A post arrangement was a serious blind spot with the seat pushed forward.
 CVT automatics - WillDeBeest
Has anyone experience of this car [W169 A-class] post 2008 facelift?

Yes, I have. It's vile. Not underwhelming, not mildly disappointing: truly horrid and unworthy of the badge it bears. But I explained all this last time you asked about it. Do pay attention!
}:---)
 CVT automatics - swiss tony
>> Has anyone experience of this car [W169 A-class] post 2008 facelift?
>>
>> Yes, I have. It's vile. Not underwhelming, not mildly disappointing: truly horrid and unworthy of
>> the badge it bears. But I explained all this last time you asked about it.
>> Do pay attention!
>> }:---)
>>

Certainly a bargepole car.
As I have said before, get a quote for fitting a new starter motor.
That should put you off....
 CVT automatics - Dog
Howls about one of these moosh: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/suzuki/swift-2010/
 CVT automatics - Auristocrat
The 3rd generation Yaris (2011 onwards) has ditched the MMT and has a CVT
 CVT automatics - Zero
>> The 3rd generation Yaris (2011 onwards) has ditched the MMT and has a CVT

Alas, 3rd gen a bit out of our price range.
 CVT automatics - Lygonos
Suzuki Swift comes with an auto box (1.2 petrol current models and I think 1.5 on previous ones) - mine (1.6 manual) has rake/reach steering and plenty of seat adjustment, and being a Jap design the seat squab is not overly long so I guess hobbits can drive them too.

The clutch on mine is uber-light (compared to the Forester...) and the gearchange could be worked by a 2 yr old, so maybe the manual wouldn't be a complete no-go.

Had a Jazz 1.2 manual as a courtesy car for a couple of days - brakes were stupidly on-off: I could have imagined I was driving a 1980s Renault.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 26 Feb 14 at 20:59
 CVT automatics - Zero
Swift dismissed - quote "don't like it - it looks dumpy and miserable"
 CVT automatics - Crankcase

>> Alas, 3rd gen a bit out of our price range.

You're such a cheapskate.
 CVT automatics - Zero
you are my hero
 CVT automatics - Crankcase
I read that as Nero, which was very confusing.
 CVT automatics - BiggerBadderDave
"Alas, 3rd gen a bit out of our price range."

How about a Peugeot for Nicole?

tinyurl.com/oqzgqdh
 CVT automatics - Zero
Is that an auto?

No good shots of the interior but it seems there are two pedals so, probably auto.
 CVT automatics - Ted

How tall is your lass, Z. Mine is 5'2" and finds the slushbox Note fine for her although she's better with a booster cushion.

She leaves the seat so far forward that I can't get in and have to perform all sorts of un-natural contortions to get at the slider handle !

HO
 CVT automatics - Zero
>>
>> How tall is your lass, Z. Mine is 5'2" and finds the slushbox Note fine
>> for her although she's better with a booster cushion.

she is 5'4". I did briefly consider the note but didn't want to keep changing the rear boot lock like you do! She drove a modus once but the EHB flummoxed her.
 CVT automatics - Ted

Haven't needed a boot lock for a long time now, Z. They must have made a decent batch last time !

There I go...tempting fate !

HO
 CVT automatics - mattbod
Never driven one but always have in mine the screaming Volvo 340 CVT a friend's mum had when I was a kid. It always sounded like a badly slipping clutch. Apparently they are disconcerting as you csn actually have the car speed up as you back off the accelerator. LJK Setright used to swear by them but I am not convinced. Only good review in the motoring press of a CVT I have read is the Legacy Outback Diesel with one.
 CVT automatics - scot22
WDB I do pay attention out of respect for people giving their time to post replies. I was looking for further comments having been advised to look at Autotrader reviews. Out of 57 reviews the average rating is 4.6 out of 5. Which magazine also rates it highly. Perhaps I just research too much !
 CVT automatics - Dulwich Estate
Point 1: "The jazz was tried and quickly dismissed because that heavy A post arrangement was a serious blind spot with the seat pushed forward."

Very relevant - and the Mk1 Jazz is even worse for the thick A post.

Point 2: A female relative has a 12 year old Nissan Micra with a CVT box. She's owned the car for 5+ years, mainly pootles around town, and the box is fine so far.
 CVT automatics - Avant
Zero - it looks as if your original thought of the Fiesta is the best bet after all.
 CVT automatics - retgwte
Current Fiesta is an automated manual.

Proper torque converter boxes are available in the Hyundai i20 and mazda 2
 CVT automatics - Zero
Mazda 2 autos are like rocking horse poo. Despite having two nearby Mazda dealers, there are only 3 autos on sale in auto trader within 30 miles, two are high £8k (outside the available moolah) and one is in Cargiant (not going anywhere near that mob)

"Not having a Hyandai" she says.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 28 Feb 14 at 09:51
>> one is in Cargiant (not going anywhere near that
>> mob)
>>

Why not? Massive choice, and there are some good cars there, although prices are not as cheap as they once were.
 CVT automatics - Alanovich
Yep. Bought three cars there. One had issues which they paid to have rectified. Nothing wrong with them in my experience.
 CVT automatics - Zero
Every time I have been there, the stock has been tatty (chips, illegal tyres, missing manuals only one key) and the staff have been hostile

Sounds like every dealer on the planet.

What about a Nissan Note?

Or talk her in to something a bit bigger........

www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201402141792669/
 CVT automatics - Zero
oooo Thats nice - sod the wife.
 CVT automatics - Zero

>> What about a Nissan Note?

Mentioned it, showed her one

"Thats for old people"

was the response.
Helping my Mum on her recent car search, that was also the response to several suggestions. She's 67.

She went for a FIAT 500L. We're special in my family.............

I've just got back from a week in ex-YU countries, and it struck me that there are a load of 500Ls in Serbia already. No surprise as they build them there at the Zastava Yugo factory. But the thing is, they look really good on the roads there. And really silly on the roads here. How they manage that trick, I don't know.
 CVT automatics - mattbod
I think the very very latest Fiesta is a Dual Clutch. I like them but their complication makes me lairy of them too. One thing a CVT is terrible on is on ice and slippery surfaces. My neighbour got right royally stuck in last year's freeze.
 CVT automatics - Roger.
Well - I like my Jazz CVT. Doesn't whine. Very economical, too.
No problems with the A pillar.
If I had the money I'd buy a new, or nearly new, one.
Last edited by: Roger on Sat 1 Mar 14 at 08:54
>> One thing a CVT is terrible on is on ice and slippery surfaces. My neighbour got right royally stuck in last year's freeze.

Any car is if it gets too much gas on ice and snow. I would expect a decent CVT setup to have the option of starting in second gear or equivalent, like a conventional auto or best of all a manual... If it will only do slingshot starts even for a pussyfooter, it's a crude setup.
 CVT automatics - Roger.
But the thing is, they look really good on
>> the roads there.
Anything looks good alongside a Yugo!
What about this one for Nicole. Full-size spare wheel too.

tinyurl.com/ptybvhq
 CVT automatics - Zero
She doesn't like the colour.
 CVT automatics - Baz
Z- have you considered Clio 1.6 vvt auto? Clio is a very nice smooth drive. 2 friends of mine have 06/07 versions with no bother between them.
Or- 207 or 308?. Or go up a bit and size and the Focus auto is ok.
Wise to stay away from DSG though, out of warranty.
My choice would be Mazda 2 though, with Fiesta as 2nd choice. Although 2 a penny, they are superb to drive and simple enough to maintain DIY.
 CVT automatics - retgwte
I bought an i20 auto new, the final two to choose from were a mazda 2 and an i20, I went for the i20 in the end. simple stuff like Bluetooth handsfree being standard on the i20 made the choice fairly simple. its been a great car. its nearly 3 now so if anyone wants to make me an offer :)
 CVT automatics - Zero
>> Z- have you considered Clio 1.6 vvt auto? Clio is a very nice smooth drive.
>> 2 friends of mine have 06/07 versions with no bother between them.

Nicole had a 07 clio Dci, superb bit of kit - highly reliable and frugal, but the drivers seat was worse than the polo. Have to say (despite my mum having a reliable 2004 clio auto) that the thought of a french auto would cause me sleepless nights.

>> Or- 207 or 308?. Or go up a bit and size and the Focus auto
>> is ok.

"We" (her) don't like them

>> Wise to stay away from DSG though, out of warranty.
>> My choice would be Mazda 2 though, with Fiesta as 2nd choice. Although 2 a
>> penny, they are superb to drive and simple enough to maintain DIY.

We drove an '09 Fiesta Zetec auto today. She is smitten and I am impressed. It was too dear for its age but the choice of car is now made. Just need to source the right one.
 CVT automatics - Bromptonaut
Z,

Mrs B has a similar 'sissy short legs' issue, accentuated in her case by being a tad or more overweight.

She's OK in either of our Berlingos by latterly found the Xantia almost impossibly uncomfortable. If you've got those sort of restrictions and a price constraint you cannot afford to be too picky over brand/model/colour.

At end of day it's a tool to get you from A2B.
 CVT automatics - Zero
>
>> If you've got those sort of restrictions and a price constraint you cannot afford to
>> be too picky over brand/model/colour.

Brand & model is chosen - and believe me when the colour is this one

www.mja-cars.co.uk/car_details/236938.aspx

It makes a difference. (I have seen two this colour now, its striking for sure, and its growing on me but its definitely marmite)

>> At end of day it's a tool to get you from A2B.

Hush your mouth, how can you say that on a motoring forum. (tho I have to say that is exactly what the Lancer is)
 CVT automatics - Avant
That looks like a metallic version of the old British Leyland Channel Passenger Green.
 CVT automatics - henry k
"Squeeze Green" & " CD Player"

That will go down well in your local Wetherspoons :-)
 CVT automatics - Bromptonaut

>> It makes a difference. (I have seen two this colour now, its striking for sure,
>> and its growing on me but its definitely marmite)

That's not Marmite, it's sicked up mushy peas.

>> Hush your mouth, how can you say that on a motoring forum. (tho I have
>> to say that is exactly what the Lancer is)

And, in different ways, both my 'lingos
 CVT automatics - Baz
These days we try and choose brightly coloured cars, we've got an intense blue Focus and a bright red Octavia. Silvers, greys and dark blues bore me to tears, there are so many on the road, it's herd-like. And the big bonus is you get seen much earlier and more clearly on the road.
 CVT automatics - sherlock47
Squeeze Green - Looks as though somenbody squeezed their bile duct!
 CVT automatics - Skip
I quite like the colour (I have strange tastes though), but £8000 for a 4/5 year old Fiesta never !!! Being a Ford it will be on its last legs in a couple of years time.
 CVT automatics - WillDeBeest
The colour is fine on a small car; I rather like it, in fact. I'm with Baz on distinctive colours in general - the only grey we need on our roads is the Tarmac.

The price, though! For a car that would have been what, £13,000 new in 2009? And which, since then - to judge by the mileage - has been driven the mile and a half to Asda, parked diagonally across two parent-and-child spaces, left to lose what little heat was in the block while Mr Beige Jacket trailed defeatedly through the aisles behind Mrs BJ, then cold-started again and pootled back to Bungalowville.

At least it hasn't been launched through a shop window.
 CVT automatics - retgwte
yes that price is way over

shame you don't want a red, i20 auto, 34 months old, 46,000 miles, full main dealer history, honest car, one owner, and not just been to the shops and back

:)

CVT automatics - Roger.
Bile green, I call it!

>> We drove an '09 Fiesta Zetec auto today. She is smitten and I am impressed.
>> It was too dear for its age but the choice of car is now made.
>> Just need to source the right one.
>>

Are you impressed by the car or impressed that she is smitten by the car?!

MJA have good clean cars but are never the cheapest - nearly bought a Galaxy from them a few years ago, but again it was too pricey.
 CVT automatics - borasport
That has 'symmetrical all wheel drive' and I did wonder what other sort there could possibly be. I like the idea of Chelsea tractor drivers being committed to drive round in ever decreasing circles
Anyway, its something resulting from the difference between the Scoobies flat four design and the commoner transverse engine design
Conveniently ignores any longitudinal configuration, of course
Latest Forum Posts