Motoring Discussion > 5 Year Warranties Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Berisford Replies: 31

5 Year Warranties - Berisford
I know Toyota have a bit of PR to catch up on but now they've pitched in with a standard 5 year warranty does anyone think the other big players will follow?
 5 Year Warranties - Zero
No, they dont have to prove the brakes work.
 5 Year Warranties - L'escargot
The cost to the manufacturer of warranty claims is factored into the selling price. Also, the terms of the warranty aren't constant for the whole of the warranty period. You can't compare warranties purely on the basis of the quoted warranty period.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 17 Jun 10 at 07:03
 5 Year Warranties - -
Depends on there being similar cars for buyers wants, and if the buyer intends to keep long term.

Those that renew every couple of years or so it won't bother them too much, those that intend to keep will sensibly factor warranty in to their choice unless they have money to burn.

When company buyers realise their overall costs can be heavily reduced by keeping for 5 instead of 3 years then we'll see changes as they lpump for longer warranted cars.

The coming depression will make everyone look hard at their costs.

5 Year Warranties - Zero
>> When company buyers realise their overall costs can be heavily reduced by keeping for 5
>> instead of 3 years then we'll see changes as they lpump for longer warranted cars.

Companies dont buy cars, they lease them. The lease price is factored mainly by purchase price and resale value. In the eyes of the leasing company you have to factor in lease payments by resale value. The sweet spot is about 3 years and 6 months.
 5 Year Warranties - Stuu
>>Companies dont buy cars, they lease them.<<

Wrong. I do work for a company that handles millions of £££ worth of government work and they DO buy their cars and keep them up to 5 years. They used to buy MG/Rovers on the cheap, now they folded, they buy pretty well anything within reason.
Ive seen Ford, Vauxhall, VW, Hyundai and an Audi so far. As I understand it, the employees are given a budget and some loose parameters and sent off to make their choice.
The only restricting factor seems to be that if they join the company when it isnt car change time, they get whatever is lying around until then.
They still have an MG ZT 1.8 as a pool car with 130k on the clock and thats a 53 plate. The boss said to me its worthless in value but useful to them so why sell it.
 5 Year Warranties - Biggles
I am looking to buy a new family van at the moment and one of the issues is the warranty period.

In Germany, a two year extension to the basic guarantee can cost a significiant amout - Toyota would charge only EUR 250 for the verso, whereas Ford want EUR 1100 for the S-May and peugeot EUR 990 for the 5008. If you as the Ford and peugeot dealers if this cost reflects the average amount you would expect to spend for repairs in the two years, they go rather quiet.
 5 Year Warranties - -
>> - Toyota would charge only EUR 250 for the verso,

Looked up extending the Hilux warranty, for 1 year around £700 which i won't be paying, makes that EUR 250 a bargain.
 5 Year Warranties - movilogo
Let's see where the manufactuers stand on warranty now [as per SMMT figures]

Kia - 7 yr - selling good
Hyundai - 5 yr - selling good
Daihatsu - 5 yr - not selling
Toyota - 5 yr - to see how performing

Largest selling brands are Ford, Vauxhall & VW - which are all 3-yr warranty. But most of these are fleet cars.

Unless buyers refuse to buy cars with short warranty, manufacturers won't extend warranty.
>> Let's see where the manufactuers stand on warranty now [as per SMMT figures]
>>
>> Kia - 7 yr - selling good
>> Hyundai - 5 yr - selling good
>> Daihatsu - 5 yr - not selling
>> Toyota - 5 yr - to see how performing

Here's the most up-to-date statistics I could find. tinyurl.com/3yvv34b
 5 Year Warranties - adamf
I have just come back from a holiday in America and i saw an advert for a Mitsubishi Lancer and they were quoting a 10 year / 100k warranty.
>> I have just come back from a holiday in America and i saw an advert
>> for a Mitsubishi Lancer and they were quoting a 10 year / 100k warranty.
>>

I doubt if you can make a direct comparison between USA selling prices and UK prices. Also, how do the terms of the warranty compare with warranties of vehicles sold in the UK?
 5 Year Warranties - -
I believe by law that exhaust/emission systems on cars are guaranteed a minimum of 10 years/100K miles.

Is the DPF situation different there, some cars in use in GB can't manage 2 years without causing major problems, the US models must be different or are Diesel cars still a rarity.
What about this sales list? tinyurl.com/36m7s5d
 5 Year Warranties - -
I'd like to see the sales figures for private purchases, that would be an interesting chart.
IIRC all cars in USA are sold with 100k miles/10 yr engine + transmission warranty.
 5 Year Warranties - Bill Payer
>> IIRC all cars in USA are sold with 100k miles/10 yr engine + transmission warranty.
>>
To be fair, how often do you hear of an engine or transmission failing?

(Wonder if it would cover the porous head issue on VW's? :) )
 5 Year Warranties - Auristocrat
The importer of Daihatsus (International Motors) have not imported any new Daihatsus into the UK since December 2009, due to the exchange rate. Any Daihatsu sales in 2010 have been those few models which are still in stock here
A Nissan dealership in Birmingham is currently offering new cars with a 5 year warranty, 3 years low APR finance, 3 years RAC and 2 years free servicing
 5 Year Warranties - Fenlander
I'd rather buy the car I want with a 3yr warranty rather than go for a 5/7yr warranty on a that'll do car. It seems from the typical scrappage purchase that's not been the case with loads of folks.
 5 Year Warranties - RattleandSmoke
FIAT now offer 5 year warranty on many of their cars :).

I could have choosen a Kia with a seven year warranty, a Hyundai with a 5 or a FIAT with a 3. I went for the FIAT because it was the best car which fitted my needs and I love it. In three years time I will probably want to change anyway.
How do the terms of Kia's 7 year warranty compare with those of, say, Ford's 3 year warranty? The length of the warranty is not the only criterion needing to be considered. The items covered are just as important as the nominal length of the warranty..
 5 Year Warranties - lancara
Admittedly a biased source:

www.kia.co.uk/New-Cars/7-year-warranty/Warranty-Comparison-Table.aspx

"Some items have a natural limited life/durability and are therefore covered for less than 7 years. These items include (but are not restricted to) consumable parts such as worn windscreen wiper blades, clutch linings, etc. The vehicle battery is warranted for a period of 2 years. The audio system is warranted for 3 years/60,000 miles and vehicle paint is warranted for 5 years/100,000 miles.

For all other components, the total cost of parts and labour associated with any warranty claim are covered."
 5 Year Warranties - Zero
>> A Nissan dealership in Birmingham is currently offering new cars with a 5 year warranty,
>> 3 years low APR finance, 3 years RAC and 2 years free servicing

No hes not. He is offering three years standard warranty, and two years breakdown insurance, which as we know is usually not worth the paper its printed on.
>> To be fair, how often do you hear of an engine or transmission failing?

to be fairer, why don't manufactuers offer this in UK? Since they don't fail, they have nothing to lose surely?
 5 Year Warranties - Old Navy
>> >> To be fair, how often do you hear of an engine or transmission failing?
>>
>> to be fairer, why don't manufactuers offer this in UK? Since they don't fail, they
>> have nothing to lose surely?
>>

My car has, so do Hyundai, the 100,000 mile bit at least. Must be good news for the "common rail doom" brigade.
 5 Year Warranties - idle_chatterer
I'm about to go abroad for a few years and so I've been looking at the costs of prunning a small-ish car (in fact a Golf VI or similar), I notice that the warrantee offered by VW is 2 years rather than the 2+1 (dealer backed) in the UK, same story for Ford IIRC.

Clearly the warrantee is tailored to market demands, in the end you (the customer) will be paying for it somehow.

Copied directly from the offers section on the website:
"With: 5 YEARS Warranty + 3 years FIXED Finance, 2 years FREE servicing & 3 years FREE RAC breakdown cover".
 5 Year Warranties - Zero
you think nissan are giving 5 years warranty just to colliers and no other dealer?

its a third party warranty company,
Having bought 15 new cars over the years (a mixture of Nissans, Hondas, Toyotas and Mazdas), no I don't imagine Nissan are giving 5 years warranty just to Colliers - undoubtedly it is a third party warranty. Coupled with the other elements of the 'offer' though (which are available through other Nissan dealers) it is a reasonable package.
The fact that dealers are resorting to such tactics is, however, a sign of the weak state of the new car market.
 5 Year Warranties - Zero
yes indeed, and probably in that part of birmingham is badly hit by the warranty the koreans are offering
Strangely, doesn't seem to be the Korean effect - one small Hyundai dealer in South East Birmingham/Solihull (Motorfair), no Kia dealers.
The Colliers operation on that side of Birmingham operates four franchises - Fiat, Seat, Mazda and Nissan - and only the Nissan franchise has this type of offer. Could be that the Nissan franchise is suffering more than Collier's other franchises (which also include Jaguar, Landrover, Honda, Citroen and Mazda on the north side of Birmingham).
Latest Forum Posts