Motoring Discussion > ULEZ and LEZ Green Issues
Thread Author: Slidingpillar Replies: 7

ULEZ and LEZ - Slidingpillar
Ultra low and low emission zones in London.
www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/london-set-ban-older-private-petrol-and-diesel-cars
A bit of a car biased website, and there are exemptions for the usage fee, but it is concern for those of us who have hospital appointments with London hospitals and are unable to use public transport.
 ULEZ and LEZ - Armel Coussine
The term 'ecofascist' is polemical, but sometimes justified. As in this case.

What stakes do these so-called stakeholders hold?

It won't happen anyway. No one wants it to except for a small clique of faffing twits.
 ULEZ and LEZ - Dave_
There are many high-end classic and sportscar dealers in the CC zone, not to mention a good number of wealthy owners of heavily polluting cars living in the area. I've visited most of them in my EU5 LEZ-compliant lorry. Will there be a £200 daily penalty imposed on non-compliant cars as there is with commercials?
 ULEZ and LEZ - Roger.
I'm not a fan of London, but it seems to me that TFL are intent on destroying the UK's capital!
 ULEZ and LEZ - Boxsterboy
The politicians seem to be as far removed from reality as ever. To ban what are now 2-month old cars from central London in less than 6 years from now is unreasonable, given the average age of cars on the road is about 7 years.

Does Boris really want to be so divisive and bar those who need vehicles for work. Expect plumbers and builders charges in central London to rise massively when this comes in.
 ULEZ and LEZ - Bromptonaut
I could just about see it in the Congestion Charge zone, but whole of Greater London??

The article goes on a lot about particulates but suggests NOX is the real problem.
 ULEZ and LEZ - Armel Coussine
There isn't a 'real problem' Bromtonaut. Big towns, especially really big ones, are polluted places in a lot of ways and poor people living in them have shorter lives. It will continue to be like that, probably for ever, although in an ideal world towns could be cleaned up gradually. But it's not an ideal world so don't hold your breath (except when cycling uphill behind one of these funny-smelling modern buses).
 ULEZ and LEZ - Bromptonaut
In principle at least I agree AC. However it was the NOX level that seemed to be close to international limits while the focus was on PM.
Latest Forum Posts