Motoring Discussion > Diesel fuel problem Green Issues
Thread Author: J Bonington Jagworth Replies: 13

Diesel fuel problem - J Bonington Jagworth
The recently publicised problems with biodiesel are, it seems, the result of a reaction with a winterising agent in Russian-supplied fuel:

www.platts.com/latest-news/oil/london/russian-diesel-may-struggle-to-sell-in-uk-after-26744736

You'd think the solution would be to stop adding the biofuel, but apparently not. Perhaps the EU won't allow it.. :-(
 Diesel fuel problem - Alastairw
Don't suppose we'll be getting much Russky fuel for a while anyway.
 Diesel fuel problem - Old Navy
Some people are convinced it is their car manufacturer that has a poor filter design and are less than impressed when they are told "Not our problem, it is the fuel". I think that once you have congealed fuel in your tank it is going to be difficult to completely get rid of it which is causing some people repeated problems.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Sun 2 Mar 14 at 16:38
A bit more info.

www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2013/12/13/diesel-biofuel-content-suspected-cause-of-unexpected-winter-breakdowns/49096/

It will soon be March and we will be on summer spec diesel, it will all be forgotten until November.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Mon 3 Mar 14 at 12:48
 Diesel fuel problem - IJWS14
Uninformed garbage there.

Winter diesel has been different for years.

I suspect it is drivers who fill a can in summer and then put it in the tank sometime when it is cold and surprise surprise the filter blocks.

Last edited by: IJWS14 on Thu 6 Mar 14 at 08:13
 Diesel fuel problem - Slidingpillar
Doubt it. A can in the tank will quickly mix with the rest and since we've not had a winter worthy of the name, I'd not blame waxing of fuel.

Can't speak for other diesels but the installation in Defenders will over time will slightly warm the fuel tank as well.
>> Uninformed garbage there.
>>
>> Winter diesel has been different for years.
>>
>> I suspect it is drivers who fill a can in summer and then put it
>> in the tank sometime when it is cold and surprise surprise the filter blocks.
>>
>>

Unlikely, it has not been cold enough to wax summer diesel let alone winter spec. Also when this stuff waxes the wax does not dissolve if it is warmed. Most cars have filter heaters and the fuel return to the tank (warm diesel) usually goes through the filter as well. It seems to be a chemical reaction rather than temperature related although it seems to occur at about +2 to +3C. Also it seems to be more common in cars which have a single pumped system and do not have a fuel lift pump in the tank.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Thu 6 Mar 14 at 10:22
 Diesel fuel problem - NortonES2
No-one says what is the "gel" found on filters. However, I suspect it is as described here:

www.stanhope-seta.co.uk/news3.asp?NewsItemID=114

"Subsequent analysis of deposits on blocked filters showed they were enriched with saturated monoglycerides (SMG) and/or sterol glucosides (SG)."

"These contaminants can form precipitates at low temperatures (but above the cloud point temperature of the fuel) which do not re-dissolve when the fuel is subsequently warmed. "

Someone is not processing thoroughly?
 Diesel fuel problem - Manatee
>> Some people are convinced it is their car manufacturer that has a poor filter design
>> and are less than impressed when they are told "Not our problem, it is the
>> fuel". I think that once you have congealed fuel in your tank it is going
>> to be difficult to completely get rid of it which is causing some people repeated
>> problems.

Better a blocked filter than blocked/bunged up pump/injectors.

My light came on in Jan 2013 a day or two before the service - it was the fuel filter. I wonder if that's what happened.
>> My light came on in Jan 2013 a day or two before the service -
>> it was the fuel filter. I wonder if that's what happened.
>>

What make and engine, Manatee?
 Diesel fuel problem - Manatee
>.What make and engine, Manatee?

Mitsubishi Outlander, 4N14 diesel engine, 2268cc.

Naturally I assumed it would be a bunged up DPF, so I was quite happy - the dealer said they would have changed the filter anyway (18,000 service).
You have to be unlucky to get diesel dirty enough to block a filter in the UK, I would guess that you had the the duff winter spec diesel problem. I think I will stash a spare filter in my boot, just in case it blocks on a cold wet Satrurday evening 200 miles from home. At least the breakdown outfit will have a replacement to fit.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Mon 3 Mar 14 at 14:49
 Diesel fuel problem - BobbyG
This happened to my boss driving her 1.7 diesel IX35 - engine cut out on the M74 at 60mph.

I can assure you she was not using stored fuel in a can!
 Diesel fuel problem - ToMoCo
Seems to be a specific problem with Hyundai fuel filters, Bobby.

I had to change it on the wife's i30 (2011, 39k ish) after it cut out while driving a few times. No problems since.
Latest Forum Posts