Motoring Discussion > Changes to Licence Renewals. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 12

Changes to Licence Renewals. - Bromptonaut
Report on the Daily Mail website says that an efficiency review suggests changing age for licence review/renewal from 70 to 80.

tinyurl.com/pfgv8fe

Views??

Interestingly the review was conducted by a Department for Transport non-exec rather than by officials.

Changes to Licence Renewals. - henry k
Efficiency is not a good reason to change the age of licence renewal from 70 to 80.

IMO it is much more important to implement proper eyesight tests from age 17 and thereafter regular tests should be mandatory plus indications on licence re - must use glasses / contact lenses.

>> IMO it is much more important to implement proper eyesight tests from age 17 and
>> thereafter regular tests should be mandatory plus indications on licence re - must use glasses
>> / contact lenses.

Already there:

www.gov.uk/driving-licence-codes
 Changes to Licence Renewals. - Crankcase
Thanks for that. I've just discovered I'm an organ donor, which is news to me.
 Changes to Licence Renewals. - Old Navy
Maybe it is part of a plan to ease the chaos caused by the closing of the regional DVLA offices and Swansea not being able, or having enough staff, to handle the extra workload.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Mon 3 Mar 14 at 11:20
 Changes to Licence Renewals. - commerdriver
>> IMO it is much more important to implement proper eyesight tests from age 17
>> and thereafter regular tests should be mandatory plus indications on licence re - must use
>> glasses / contact lenses.

>>
Means little in some ways, I have worn glasses full time for over 50 years, I would never dream of driving without as I would not consider myself safe. However on a number of occasions, including my last eye test, my optician assured me that my eyesight without glasses exceeds the standard for driving.
 Changes to Licence Renewals. - henry k
>> Means little in some ways, I have worn glasses full time for over 50 years,
>> I would never dream of driving without as I would not consider myself safe
I wear glasses and keep an expensive spare pair in the car.
>> However on a number of occasions, including my last eye test, my optician assured me that my eyesight without glasses exceeds the standard for driving.
>>
Sadly it says a lot about the basic eye test for driving.
 Changes to Licence Renewals. - retgwte
Don't think eye sight is the be all and end all.

My eyesight at 17 was a lot better than it is now, but my wisdom more than outweighs that.

I do however think some old folk should be taken off the road for simple lack of car control. You only have to drive round places like Bexhill where folk go to retire to see many who lack basic skills.
 Changes to Licence Renewals. - Old Navy
>> My eyesight at 17 was a lot better than it is now, but my wisdom
>> more than outweighs that.
>>

Obviously your wisdom does not include common sense.

>> Means little in some ways, I have worn glasses full time for over 50 years,
>> I would never dream of driving without as I would not consider myself safe.

Same here. If I squint a bit and use my better eye I can see a number plate at the statutory distance. Occasionally cycled without in rain as uncorrected vision better than through wet specs!!
 Changes to Licence Renewals. - bathtub tom
>>cycled without in rain as uncorrected vision better than through wet specs!!

You should try wearing a helmet with visor.

;>)
>> >>cycled without in rain as uncorrected vision better than through wet specs!!
>>
>> You should try wearing a helmet with visor.
>>
>> ;>)

PLus Rain-X maybe? Or perhaps Rain-X on my specs.
 Changes to Licence Renewals. - jc2
You can be registered blind and still be legal to drive!
Latest Forum Posts