Motoring Discussion > Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption Miscellaneous
Thread Author: mattbod Replies: 29

Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - mattbod
Hi guys this is a call out to anyone who runs a PD 130 TDI engine. I have just changed my tyres on tye above and am wondering if this is responsible for economy that i am finding slightly disappointing. I am getting about 35 around town and on a straight run down the M2 from Medway to Canterbury I am getting high 40s whereas I used to be able to get early 50s at 70 mpg. Even that sounds a bit worrying though.

Even that though seems a bit depressing as I am a member of Briskoda and some VRS mk one owners on the board and at meets are claiming 65mpg. I have never ever got near that and am guessing that it might be exaggerated pub talk.

I have tried using super unleaded, i regularly give the car a bootfull to clean the egrs etc and have tried v power Diesel. I don't know if it could be dirty air filter or maf? Also my car only done 63k so others have said it is not even run in yet :)

Anyway Avant if you are still around what do you get and what might be wrong? Is it still winter diesel in pumps, colder ambint temperature....
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - WillDeBeest
I have tried using super unleaded.

You don't mean that, do you?

52 to 49 sounds like statistical noise to me, a combination of myriad small factors that vary from trip to trip. Tyres might be part of the story but very unlikely to be all of it.
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - Armel Coussine

>> I have tried using super unleaded, i regularly give the car a bootfull to clean the egrs etc and have tried v power Diesel.

Does it run better on petrol or diesel mattbod? Amazing that it runs on both...

:o}

If I were you I would take a look at the air filter. A dirty one is a frequent but much-ignored cause of excessive fuel consumption. It should be easy to see whether it's getting clogged.
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - Number_Cruncher
>>I have just changed my tyres

Had the previous set run to a large mileage, or, did they wear away quickly?
Sorry Ultimate Diesel/ V power Diesel : typo. No i am not that silly but do own petrol Merc C 280 as well. Not tried millars yet as handbook says do not use additives.

Tyres wore smoothly: rears were original as do little but prop car up: changed them as getting flaky. The fronts normally last around two years and wear evenly. Was on Contis, then hankiok at front and now Avons all round.Just wondering what I should expect from this engine. As said a bloke at a brisky meet said his does 65 on a run at 70 and i have never got close so set alarm bells ringing. As said though might be bs.

Anyway typo apart comments appreciated.
Last edited by: mattbod on Mon 3 Mar 14 at 17:52
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - T junction
I'm sure tyres do make a difference. I have just changed the tyres all round on my V50. I was getting a consistent 54.8 mpg on Hankooks but as they were wearing a bit unevenly I decided to put cheaper ones on until I'v got the cause of that sorted.

The new tyres immediately brought the fuel consumption down to 51.8 mpg. Have double checked the pressures to make sure that's not the problem.
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - madf
It's winter.
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - Old Navy
>> It's winter.
>>

Summer diesel arrives during March, my mpg always improves a bit when on summer spec diesel, nothing dramatic though, only one or two mpg.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Mon 3 Mar 14 at 18:42
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - Zero
>
>> from this engine. As said a bloke at a brisky meet said his does 65
>> on a run at 70 and

He is lying. I had three TDI pd's and none of them did that. One of them was the 105 as well and that never did it either. All mine came in at about 47-50 mpg average.
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - Roger.
>> >
>> >> from this engine. As said a bloke at a brisky meet said his does
>> 65
>> >> on a run at 70 and
>>
>> He is lying. I had three TDI pd's and none of them did that. One
>> of them was the 105 as well and that never did it either. All mine
>> came in at about 47-50 mpg average.

So did our Fabia, 1.9tds, 101BHP. A decently quick car which SWMBO steadfastly refused to let me chip up to 120/130BHP!
We loved that car and kept it, from new, for 10 years. LHD, so it had to go.
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - PeterS
If all you've done is had the tyres changed then I think one of the first things I'd do would be to check the tyre pressures. IME not all tyre fitters are that diligent in setting them correctly.
Peter it is nothing to do with pressures as I check tire pressures everyday and they are at the correct 2.3 bar.

I don't believe the "it's winter" argument either as temperatures have been pretty mild.

Anyone else run this engine: what do you normally get?
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - BobbyG
When I had my Fabia vrs I got high 40s mpg on everyday driving, the average was 46 over 2 years of ownership.
Anyone who is claiming 65 must be measuring it over a downhill stretch of freewheeling.

Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - PeterS
Ah OK. When I had that engine in an A4 it averaged around 44mpg I think, so your figures don't sound too bad to me. But if they were higher before, and it's not pressures, then I'm confused!
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - mikeyb
Colleague used to have one and reckoned on mid 50's for his 120 ish mile round trip commute.

Our Sharan has the same engine and we are averaging 44mpg, but can stretch this towards 50 on a long gentle run. Its far heavier and has the dynamics of an upturned wardrobe so I would have thought 50+ was easily achievable for you.
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - MD
Tracking??

Have you kerbed it??
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - Armel Coussine
MD pipped me. Poor wheel alignment and the state of the front suspension in particular can cost you fuel money, along with incorrect soft tyre pressures. But even the back wheels can need tracking in a modern car. Tyre wear patterns can tell you a lot.

Naturally any sort of roof box or rack other than slick OE longitudinal rails will cost the earth as well as being noisy and looking crap.

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 3 Mar 14 at 20:07
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - Lygonos
Rolling radius change might account for a couple of % change in calculations (either through change in brand or simply new tyres having a 1cm larger diameter than old ones- slightly smaller wheels turn more times per mile driven giving an artificially high reading on the odometer) and another couple of % could easily come from different tread pattern/rolling resistance.
Nope car is in excellent condition and i am a fastidious owner. When i got tyres changed guy said how perfectly worn the fronts were. I too personally think 65 is cack of the cow talk but I will just see how it goes. I am going to go out tomorrow and give it a good bootful of revs on a long run one way then drive gently and smoothly back and see how it goes. To be honest I did not even know there were two types of seasonal Diesel.

Going to do the oil next few weeks and may as well get filter done as well.
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - NortonES2
Camshaft wear?
That's a bit drastic! Hardly think so as only 63k and fsh. As others have said it is not dire but I thought i should be getting more....oh well.
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - Fursty Ferret
I wouldn't be worried - my Insignia usually averages 62 mpg on the round trip to work and over the last tank has dropped to 49, which is probably due to the stronger winds and large amounts of standing water on the roads.

Unless you use watered-down Tesco fuel...
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - Old Navy
>> I wouldn't be worried - my Insignia usually averages 62 mpg............

I would have thought that a pilot could work out fuel consumption accurately.......... :-)
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Tue 4 Mar 14 at 08:35
>> >> I wouldn't be worried - my Insignia usually averages 62 mpg............
>>
>> I would have thought that a pilot could work out fuel consumption accurately.......... :-)
>>

??
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - VxFan
>> Unless you use watered-down Tesco fuel...

Hmmm! Any proof of that then.
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - Duncan
>> Unless you use watered-down Tesco fuel...
>>

What do they 'water it down' with, pray?
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - sooty123
>> >> Unless you use watered-down Tesco fuel...
>> >>
>>
>> What do they 'water it down' with, pray?
>>

Water of course!
[sarky] One assumes they apply the same principle to their fuel that they do to their cooked meat. [/sarky]

May include traces of horse.
Thanks very much for the replies guys :)
 Skoda Fabia - 2005 Fabia vrs 130 TDI PD: fuel consumption - Avant
Still around, Mattbod, but I've never had a PD 130. I had a PD 115 Golf estate back in 2001: driven gently on a long run it could do 60 mpg (the 6-speed gearbox helped) but more usually 45 or so in town, 55 on motorways.

I don't remember a great deal of difference in any of my cars between winter and summer fuel consumption. I use super unleaded in my current petrol Octavia vRS, but I could never see any advantage in the higher-grade diesel fuel like Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate.
Latest Forum Posts