Motoring Discussion > Curse the Council... Legal Questions
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 9

Curse the Council... - Mapmaker
It’s a small victory (£65/£130), but a victory nonetheless.

I was loading, briefly, in a residents’ parking bay briefly, in London, between Christmas and New Year. Needless to say, Mr Parking Patawayo passed and placed a ticket on the windscreen.

So I appealed – it’s actually as easy to appeal as to pay, by email – on the grounds of loading.

They responded and in a garbled letter – composed from a series of standard paragraphs no doubt - said they were not accepting my appeal; parking is in short supply and residents bays are strictly patrolled. But please to submit a copy of the delivery note within 14 days, or pay £65.

I wrote back and thanked them for agreeing the principle of loading would be grounds for appeal, and said there was no delivery note as it was a private delivery, and the law did not permit them to discriminate. And anyway, as the whole world was out of Town for Christmas there were myriad residents’ parking bays.

So far, so dull.

They responded to say that it was no longer possible for me to appeal against the fine directly to them, and they could not act upon the letter and I should wait for the notice to owner. Or pay £130…

So far, so surreal.

So I wrote back saying they had asked me to submit further evidence during the period when I could have paid £65. And that I had done so, and they had then decided they weren’t interested in the further evidence and so it had gone up to £130. And this was an inappropriate way for a Government authority to behave.

They responded to say that it was no longer possible for me to appeal against the fine directly to them, and they could not act upon the letter and I should wait for the notice to owner. [Thanks, I think I'd worked that one out before.]

Having waited quite long enough, I rang them up this week. And was told that the fine had been lifted, but that I hadn’t been written to.

What a faff. I wonder what happened.
 Curse the Council... - AlastiarM
I hope you recorded that conversation!
 Curse the Council... - Zero
My lad got a fine from Chelmsford for being in a bus lane.

The picture that accompanied the fine, was of a different make car, a different colour of car and clearly one registration letter out.

Admin cock on their part?

well after 5 emails/replies bounced back between us, they agreed to wave the fine, but only because of a tribunal ruling about signage on that lane and we were one of several hundred overturned because of a "technicality"

I could drive over there and slap them.
 Curse the Council... - Ted
I'll come with you Z. But only if you come with me and slap ours who gave me a ticket in a disabled bay for having a forged blue badge.

When they found out I hadn't, they kindly quashed the fine and told me if it happened again they might not be so lenient !

HO
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 8 Mar 14 at 20:56
 Curse the Council... - Harleyman
First Rule of Local Government...... Thou shalt never be wrong.

Probably explains why so many of them cycle. ;-)
 Curse the Council... - Roger.
.....on foldy-uppy bikes?
 Curse the Council... - Boxsterboy
You obviously have to be a special type of person to work in parking enforcement - devoid of common sense.
 Curse the Council... - Old Navy
No just on a bonus scheme, by whatever it is called to try to make it deniable.
 Curse the Council... - Bromptonaut
>> .....on foldy-uppy bikes?
>>

OY!!!!

(missed that earlier as I was riding said bike round Chilterns on Saturday and overnighting in a Youth Hostel)
 Curse the Council... - Harleyman

>> OY!!!!
>>
>> (missed that earlier as I was riding said bike round Chilterns on Saturday and overnighting
>> in a Youth Hostel)
>>

Hee hee. Better a late bite than none at all!
Latest Forum Posts