Motoring Discussion > Winter tyres.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 33

Winter tyres.... - Zero
Spring is here, time to take those winter tyres off that proved sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooo

useful this winter, all that worn down, for no good reason, rubber.

SUckers.......

Blows raspberry aand makes a rude gesture.
 Winter tyres.... - BobbyG
But worn down at the same rate as your summer tyres were..............

but no, I didn't buy any !
 Winter tyres.... - scot22
For some people fitting winter tyres will be a sensible precaution. I no longer need to consider driving in the snow so I don't need them. We all have our own needs and views : let's respect individual choice and, who knows, what weather might come and when !
 Winter tyres.... - Zero
>> For some people fitting winter tyres will be a sensible precaution. I no longer need
>> to consider driving in the snow so I don't need them. We all have our
>> own needs and views : let's respect individual choice and, who knows, what weather might
>> come and when !

Raspberry
 Winter tyres.... - Manatee
Snow before Easter :)
 Winter tyres.... - bathtub tom
It's snowed at Whitsun before now!
 Winter tyres.... - BobbyG
In Aviemore today I noticed that many cars in the Tesco car park had winter tyres on!
 Winter tyres.... - Zero
no chance

Winter tyres.... - Lygonos
I was making snowmen with the kids last March in the Borders.
 Winter tyres.... - Westpig
I seriously considered winter tyres......but......judging by the performance of the ones put on my van at the beginning of winter, I shall have to think again.

They lasted 10,000 miles...just.

I only had a set on the fronts, which I know isn't the wisest option, but you're given what you're given.

They gripped well, very well, noticeably better than summer tyres in the wet...but 10K for front tyres just isn't good enough, is it.
 Winter tyres.... - Armel Coussine
A few years ago I had a crash just south of Hammersmith Bridge on Easter Sunday. It was snowing, just enough to make the crash inevitable when combined with my own lack of attention and the ghastly jerky (in both senses) driving of a prat in an old BMW.
 Winter tyres.... - legacylad
Glad we had winter tires on yesterday. Heavy snow between Kamloops & Revelstoke would have made overtaking in lane 2 @ 90kph impossible without. Road then closed for 3 hours after an avalanche and closed again this morning. Those Canuck truckers were blowing us away on the downgrades, hauling a large trailer and overtaking us at an indicated 115kph. Bet they have winter types fitted!
Zero's just feeling smug that he uses good wet weather tyres, since he lives in Surrey.

I bet he mocks his flooded neighbours for their choices of summer bling tyres too.
 Winter tyres.... - Baz
My neighbour is a victim. 3 years ago he bought a top spec Mondeo with massive wheels and spray-on tyres. After 2 bad winters he got fed up of not being able to get up the street for about 2 days. So in March-time last year he bought new winter wheels and tyres and had them stored. Great fanfare and excitement. Then this year we haven't seen one hour of snow let alone a day. So he didn't fit them. Now he's bought an A6 S-line with even bigger wheels and spray on tyres. So he never used the others. I expect they're on e bay. Tee hee.;-) All for maybe one trip every year!
 Winter tyres.... - Zero
>> Zero's just feeling smug that he uses good wet weather tyres, since he lives in
>> Surrey.
>>
>> I bet he mocks his flooded neighbours for their choices of summer bling tyres too.

Smug is good.
 Winter tyres.... - Bill Payer
Mrs BP's Honda Jazz has run winter tyres year round for a couple of years now. They're wearing slower than the originally fitted summer tyres the car came with.
 Winter tyres.... - Dog
>>Mrs BP's Honda Jazz has run winter tyres year round for a couple of years now. They're wearing slower than the originally fitted summer tyres the car came with.

What tyres would they be then Bill?
 Winter tyres.... - Bill Payer
>> What tyres would they be then Bill?
>>
It came with Dunlop SP2030's (which to be fair are notorious amongst Jazz owners for not lasting very long, and did perfrom well during the winters of 2009 and 10) and it's now running Michelin Alpin A4's.
 Winter tyres.... - Dog
>> it's now running Michelin Alpin A4's.

Ah, say n'more! - my Forester came with 4 x new Runway Enduro which are actually okay but, we've had no winter wev this year of course.

We don't do many miles pa so some decent winter tyres like the Alpins would be at the top of my list for when the Runways run out of tread and, I'd leave them on all year too.
 Winter tyres.... - Zero
For when the snow comes you mean? chortle
 Winter tyres.... - NortonES2
Like this? tinyurl.com/ng7g9ab Must be imaginary. Not that the tyres are only useful on snow...
Last edited by: NIL on Sat 8 Mar 14 at 13:33
 Winter tyres.... - Dog
Nice Boxer NIL (like the engine in my Forester) I can see he's a working dog, being his tail is docked ;)
Thanks. Rescue dog: he came like that!
 Winter tyres.... - Dog
>>Rescue dog

He's a mighty-fine looking dog, and a sofa surfer I see :)
Sofa? Observation platform! It's a pouffe actually. Car and photo mags concealed within.
Put Michelin Alpins on the FRV (205/55x16) autumn 2012 and done 18250 miles on them so far.

Checked today with the wee stick gauge and fronts are at 4.5mm, rears 6-6.5mm. Presuming they start at 8mm, that means the fronts will manage around 25-30k miles (to ~3mm tread) and the rears around 50k miles.

Pretty comparable with the Michelin Energy it had on before that (which in turn is a waaay better tyre than the older E3A Energy that was dire in the wet).

Due a service at 62,500 (1000 miles away) so will swap fronts with backs then and expect them to last another 12k or so until they are needing replaced as a set.

So around 30k miles total - perfectly decent IMO.

Paid about £80 per tyre inc fitting at Costco.
 Winter tyres.... - Dog
You keep them on all year too then I take it Lygonos.

>>Paid about £80 per tyre inc fitting at Costco.

Good price!
 Winter tyres.... - legacylad
I too leave my Michelin Alpins on all year round. When the Kumhos wore out I wanted a year round tyre and they fit the bill. 225/40/18s I think , not cheap, fitted at home by Event Tyres. Wearing exceptionally well and not intrusive at all.
 Winter tyres.... - Dog
£115 for my 215/60/16 from Event Tyres ... I'll hang on to my Runways for now :)
 Winter tyres.... - Boxsterboy
Well I got good use from my winter tyres - but then I did drive to the French Alps and drove to the ski slopes every day (sorry!).

Interestingly, I was talking to a minibus driver who did airport shuttles. He has winter tyres (obviously) but has never needed chains in 12 years. Nor 4x4, which rather makes a mockery of those who insist on such vehicles for their grip in the winter!
 Winter tyres.... - scot22
Hope you've had fun Zero !
 Winter tyres.... - zookeeper
ive got snow tyres only on the fronts and regular shod on the back too.... dont know if its illegal but tyre fitters will only fit sets of , must say they do grip well with all that extra tread pattern but cause a lot of spray behind when its wet
 Winter tyres.... - Focusless
Perhaps someone forgot to put their winter tyres on?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17589298
 Winter tyres.... - Focusless
(Sorry - just spotted that's 2 years old, probably been on here before.)
Latest Forum Posts