Motoring Discussion > Now *this* is rallying Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 6

Now *this* is rallying - Zero
The Monte, 1956

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQHeiEn1tM&list=PL7cPtzRlARge0HE4XHH6cr40UaDV9bgpV
 Now *this* is rallying - Armel Coussine
Sentimental viewing to me. I note that the notorious Maurice Gatsonides came 6th overall in a Standard Vanguard against competition from a lot of much better cars (Austins did well too). What's more Gatso's brakes were said to be in 'perfect condition' at the end of the rally including the mountain section blast, so he must actually have been one hell of a driver in his day, chapeau. But a feast for mine eyes that, and several motors in it I fancy to this day.

Later in the fifties I seem to remember him driving Zodiacs or Zephyrs.
 Now *this* is rallying - Fullchat
Enjoyed that Z.

This one is not bad too, although a bit biased towards Fulvia and Alpine (Monte 73):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QU8rNxrAwQ
 Now *this* is rallying - Fullchat
This has got to be up amongst the very very best of rally videos:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=79WL91RLTpk

'Scotch and Dry' - 1976 Scottish Rally including the blagging of an Atlas diff from a spectators 3 Ltr Capri for Vatanen.

The proper days of rallying in my humble opinion.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Mon 10 Mar 14 at 20:26
 Now *this* is rallying - Zero
>> This has got to be up amongst the very very best of rally videos:
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=79WL91RLTpk
>>
>> 'Scotch and Dry' - 1976 Scottish Rally including the blagging of an Atlas diff from
>> a spectators 3 Ltr Capri for Vatanen.
>>
>> The proper days of rallying in my humble opinion.

"In the Datsun Violet"

My giddy aunt - whats the chances of finding a good one of those today!
 Now *this* is rallying - Mike Hannon
Thanks for that Z. An Austin beating a DS19 in the concours - whoda thunk it?
When I was a youngster you could buy a Lancia Aurelia B20 coupe for £200, sigh...

I don't bother going along the Historique these days - it's just a lot of Porsche 911s and other rich kids' toys. Nothing like the real thing at all.

>>Later in the fifties I seem to remember him driving Zodiacs or Zephyrs.<<
That's how Gatsonides came to be friends with my late friend. And how I came to use his umbrella the other day.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Tue 11 Mar 14 at 10:33
 Now *this* is rallying - ToMoCo
As a car daft youngster at 10, I grew up watching Group B in the mid eighties, that for me, will always be real rallying. Quattro, RS200 and 6r4. insane.

I watched a program a few weeks back 'Idris Elba - King of Speed'. He had a go in a 6r4. Looked a right handful!
Last edited by: ToMoCo on Tue 11 Mar 14 at 13:22
Latest Forum Posts